Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Turbine boats/ do or don't >

Turbine boats/ do or don't

Notices

Turbine boats/ do or don't

Old 10-23-2002, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a web site www.turbineboat.com with some links.One of those link sites Mark Nyes has some new videos. These are in a small boat, but fun to watch and turn up the volume!Warning, you will need a fast connection to download, but worth it. What is the list of thing"s you need to consider before converting besides. Strong drive system, ability to run alt., noise factor ?

Last edited by DONZI; 10-23-2002 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-23-2002, 06:07 PM
skaterize

I think we all should get together and have some drinks, just because we can, and act like we know what the hell we are talking about and lets build the boat ourselves. OK Im dreaming but sure would be fun (yes). put it in a SKATER I wanna ride, keep us posted Byron. Good Luck, Craig (hope to meet some of ya guys at ft. laud boat show)

Old 03-31-2004, 04:28 PM
firestorm.ca

Randy at MTI builds the perfect boats for turbine power. He is one builder that actually runs his hull designs through a wind tunnel.

We have a system in place such that you can maneuver around the docks and drive it just as though you were driving a piston powered boat. Our engines are computer controlled. (A system we designed ourselves) No extra brake pedals ... no extra throttle pedals just shifters and throttles. Fully controlable around the docks on your turbines. We have a sound attenuation system for the turbines for those of you who don't like the big noise and we have a water injection system for the exhaust to prevent you from setting fire to the dock or passers by

A sad note here. Ed Mossmiller was killed when the Skater he was driving flipped upside down several weeks ago.

If anyone has questions on turbines feel free to call us or contact on the internet.

[email protected] www.firestrm.ca 705-790-7702

Old 03-31-2004, 04:57 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, Ed of ITS was killed a couple of weeks ago.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:30 PM
Registered

No matter how trivial our questions are compared to matters of life and death, one cannot help feeling the knowledge void left by the untimely departure of one of our fellow OSOers. I am sure he would have been the person to talk to about turbine applications. ITS is known even overseas as THE turbine expert...

As far as my opinion is concerned, I believe turbines are the future of boating. There is still a long road ahead though to make them user-friendly enough so that they become mainstream power options. But you cannot stop progress. Look at diesels: almost stopped smoking, lost some major weight, upped their power (sounds like a Weight Watchers ad...) And this has occured within a relatively limited period of time. Why? Because large corporations like Yanmar recognized the value of our market and started developing performance market-specific products. As soon as companies like GE, Textron, MTU, Rolls-Royce... notice our market and get to work, we'll see more turbines.

The present tendency is towards CODOG power, that is to say combined diesel OR gas turbine power, meaning that when a boat is equipped with both, power can be shifted from one to the other through a common gearbox but only after one is shut down. I hear that Fabio Buzzi as well as Renk Tacke is working on trannies where shifting from one source of power to another can be done on the go. This is the only acceptable solution as presently, diesels used for docking have to be shut down and the turbine can be activated only then. However, while the turbine is spooling up, the boat is without power and control. Once this is solved for stuff like TF40 and 50 turbines (4000 to 5600hp) combined with diesels like Yanmars or Cummins (300 to 500hp) like on that WallyPower boat, the technology will have to be brought down in scale to be used with smaller turbines and thruster motors. It will be some time before we see this so I think we are stuck with playing with electrical or jet-ski motors... One day though...
Old 06-29-2005, 11:09 PM
Registered

Default Re: Turbine boats/ do or don't

I would also consider giving John Conner a call as well. They ran a turbine with an Arneson drive on the Gentry Eagle. The next transatlantic boat was to be a 150 footer running four turbines. They wanted to made the run without having to stop halfway across for fuel. Obvoiusly the boat never came to be due to Tom's death. They spend a ton of development time and money in these projects, so he would be a great source for advise.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:21 PM
No Comment
VIP Member

Location: This post copyright, Packinair Inc. All rights reserved.

Originally Posted by kaamapart
I would also consider giving John Conner a call as well. .
uhhh.. you guys do relise this thread is from 2002.. I doubt he is still looking.plus he has not logged on in 11 months.lol
Old 06-29-2005, 11:47 PM
Banned

If I'm not mistaken, the turbines run off diesel.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:57 AM
Registered

Your right Cuda, the more dense the fuel the better!

Byron, My Way is owned by my uncle. I have followed his transformation from piston power to Turbin power. I may be mistaken, but I think he was one of the first to use a brake on the out put shaft to shift crash boxes. Hell, I think he had a machine shop running for a couple of months on his equipment alone!

Either way, you have seen the advantage of turbin power, I'm glad your creating another turbine powered boat.

As for docking, in my opinion, I like the noise. And to be honest, once the boat gets close to the dock, the ropes are thrown, and the turbins are spooled down (off). the noise to me just draws a crowd to help you dock :-)

Good luck, and may I sugest talking with MTT out of Texas. Marine Turbin Tech . he's has LOTS of usefull information for you, and can answer all your questions! He knows My Way well.

Last edited by Canada Jeff; 06-30-2005 at 06:58 AM. Reason: spellling
Old 06-30-2005, 07:12 AM
Registered

I have driven a turbine cats out of Turbinemarine in Pomapano
www.Turbinemarine.com John Arruda is the guy who owns and does the work. I also race a 51 OL with turbines, I can tell you, with the braking system he uses, docking is as easy as piston power.
He also waterjackets the exhaust to a temp of 140 degrees and gives a 1000 hour warranty on the motors.
We run the OL on av gas, or if we getr stuck out on the water, 75 gallons deisel for every 25 gallons high test
Check out his website and ours
www.turbinemarine.com www.amfoffshoreracing.com
Attached Thumbnails Turbine boats/ do or don't-amf-crescent-city.jpg  
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Turbine boats/ do or don't

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.