Question for the peanut gallery >

Question for the peanut gallery

Notices

Question for the peanut gallery

Old 01-24-2018, 06:34 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Question for the peanut gallery

Looking to see what the masses think on this? A little long winded, but bare with me.

I purchased a boat from a broker in NC (not an offshore boat, so dont hold that against me). The hauler I was going to use was a bit jammed so broker offered to have it delivered to me in NJ. He was supposed to get details and let me know same so that we could set it up. I get a call 2 days later from an independent hauler who says I am halfway to your house see you tomorrow. Uuuhhh, OK? Boat gets delivered, BUT, cockpit cover, camper package, and Delta anchor are not on the boat. Delivery guys say they are coming back to NJ in a few days and will bring them. Sounds good. I tell them, since the delivery was a surprise to me, dont know if I am supposed to pay you, the broker, and if you, how much do I owe you? They tell me they were not told to collect any money. I tip them very well, on the premise they will be bringing me my missing stuff and off they go.

I let the broker know about missing items and he says they will get them to me in the next couple days. Doesnt ask me for money. He calls me a couple days later saying I NEED to overnight a check to hauler, as I was supposed to pay them and he needs the money ASAP, and that if I dont pay him, they will have to pay them out off their own pocket. I ask him when am I getting my stuff? He says sometime in the next week or so, so now timeframe has moved back. At this point I tell him I will be happy to pay, when they drop off my missing stuff. the value of those items FAR exceeds the cost of delivery. He tells me that is no good as hauler needs money now. I say, OK, you pay hauler, and I will have a check made out to you to give to hauler when my stuff gets delivered. He tells me, that is no good, as hauler is independent, and has nothing to do with this situation and I should pay him. I say I agree, hauler has nothing to do with this and should be paid, however you should pay him, and I pay you when I get my stuff. Broker tells me this is no good.

My question is: Am I wrong on this? Why wont they pay their own hauler, and wait to get paid when I get my stuff? Something seems wrong, no?
Old 01-24-2018, 06:38 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 492 Likes on 229 Posts

Sorry your dealing with this crap...broker deals suck...Hope you get things worked out...Good Luck.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Broker/brokerage needs to pay the hauler. If you don't hold back they will be in no rush to get your missing items to you.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:37 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 851 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
Broker/brokerage needs to pay the hauler. If you don't hold back they will be in no rush to get your missing items to you.
You'll never see the other items if you pay. Interesting how the hauler didn't want money from you but somehow now he does.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

I wouldn't pay either of them until you get advise from someone that knows transportation law. My understanding is if you pay the broker and he doesn't pay the carrier, the carrier can still get paid by you. Essentially you end up paying twice.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:00 AM
ben
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I wouldn't pay till I got the missing items.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:21 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 913 Likes on 459 Posts

Since you didn't contract the hauler then i would assume you are not on the hook for the payment...the broker is.....the original "contract" was between them...not you and the hauler since you knew nothing about it till just before the delivery. Im sure if you tell the broker the same they wont have any way to deny or back out of it....if you really wanted to be a thorn in their side tell them to show a signed contract by you for the service! Im sure they cant and if they did im sure its not your signature on there so that would be fraud!
Just depends on how much you want to screw with them for your parts...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 01-24-2018, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ben
I wouldn't pay till I got the missing items.
+1.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback, as somehow I am feeling like the bad guy. I reached out to the hauler to let him know I am not trying to jack him up, adn I know he is aware of the situation because I discussed it with his guys when they delivered. It seems hauler then went back to broker instead of contacting me (which in some ways is not surprising as I know they do a lot of work for broker), and broker yet again sends me an email telling me to pay hauler and that I "have his word", as well as now "having it in writing", I will have my stuff in a week.

This doesnt make sense? Why wont broker pay a guy he has an extensive working relationship with and then collect?
Old 01-24-2018, 09:09 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 913 Likes on 459 Posts

While that email "paper trail" may be enough proof in court....id go one step farther and email or call him to fax you over a SIGNED copy of everything spelled out of whats going to happen and a time line....from the point you pay the hauler to when the parts are expected to arrive at your house....just to cover your bases...if you want, you can write the whole thing out and fax it to them and have them sign it and fax it back....and don't be mean to them just let them know you are just covering yourself from getting screwed....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.