Outerlimits’ Next Model Move

Notices

Outerlimits’ Next Model Move

Old 01-25-2018, 10:33 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,221 Posts
Default Outerlimits’ Next Model Move

Think outboard. Think performance. Just don’t think center console—at least not yet, https://www.offshoreonly.com/article...ext-model-move.

From the OSO home page.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The SL41 went for over $600k, Way too much $$ for an o/b Vee, IMO.
Even if the SL36 comes in under $500k I don’t think they’re going to attract much of a market. OL’s are nice boats but not many that can afford them.
On the contrary Nor-Techs have a waitlist for multiple models??��

just my $.02
Old 01-26-2018, 02:48 AM
Registered

Received 883 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by NASCAT
The SL41 went for over $600k, Way too much $$ for an o/b Vee, IMO.
Even if the SL36 comes in under $500k I don’t think they’re going to attract much of a market. OL’s are nice boats but not many that can afford them.
On the contrary Nor-Techs have a waitlist for multiple models??��

just my $.02
The 36 with I/O's was in the mid 300's new IIRC. OL's have ALWAYS been expensive that few can afford, but then again so are Ferraris!

NT has something that OL needs, a dealer network. NT has multiple product lines but the CC market is their lifeblood at this point and I'd bet NT dealer spec orders alone exceed OL's total production numbers. Dealers in FL, TX, AL, LOTO and Canada/Norway surely are getting the product delivered! As a bonus the FL/TX dealers used to carry Cig so they already had an upscale clientele network and the LOTO dealer essentially brought performance CC's to the lake environment.

Terry Sobo surely saved NT from extinction with his CC idea but the execution of the design was a hit also.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:48 AM
Registered

All very spot on assessments and I agree

in an effort to justify the SL41 o/b price I was told the Twin Merc 700’s I/o boat is in the $700’s and that is just crazy $$.

You’d think the Baja, Donzi, Fountain & Formula production of today could easily capitalize on this market gap but it doesn’t appear that way at all.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:32 AM
Registered

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Too many models now in my opinion. The 41 sl outboard got great reviews and looks like a great boat but it didn’t exactly set the market on fire.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bostonirish
Too many models now in my opinion. The 41 sl outboard got great reviews and looks like a great boat but it didn’t exactly set the market on fire.
Agree'd, the story & pics on SOTW captured my attn . As a serious buyer in the market who is an o/b fan I was hoping I could see the OL41 and get a sea trial in it at Miami Boat Show only to realize the used price is $529k, it was already debuted in Miami a year ago (clearly I missed that) and will not be there this year.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

If you are going to do outboards may as well do a Center Console. Whether its the 36 or 41 there are 20x the buyers for each if it were a Center Console.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 883 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by NASCAT
Agree'd, the story & pics on SOTW captured my attn . As a serious buyer in the market who is an o/b fan I was hoping I could see the OL41 and get a sea trial in it at Miami Boat Show only to realize the used price is $529k, it was already debuted in Miami a year ago (clearly I missed that) and will not be there this year.

But keep in mind the current owner of the used 41 OB might have gotten a break on that build as he was building the first one and he is simply trying to recoup his investment or maybe even make a profit! It wouldn't be the first time that has happened on a brand new build.

I think one of the biggest obstacles in sportdeck OB powered boats is the lack of rumble......There might be a fuel/maintenance savings with the OB's but the "sound effects" are definitely lacking. I still can't believe in the I/O vs. OB build that the costs aren't significantly different like 20-25% less for the OB.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

I think the sound difference comes more into play around the docks and observing fly-by's as opposed to actually running in the boats. That is my experience anyway.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 1,317 Likes on 735 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
But keep in mind the current owner of the used 41 OB might have gotten a break on that build as he was building the first one and he is simply trying to recoup his investment or maybe even make a profit! It wouldn't be the first time that has happened on a brand new build.

I think one of the biggest obstacles in sportdeck OB powered boats is the lack of rumble......There might be a fuel/maintenance savings with the OB's but the "sound effects" are definitely lacking. I still can't believe in the I/O vs. OB build that the costs aren't significantly different like 20-25% less for the OB.
I think it is the lack of offerings and price. Other then the AT 29 (not many made) where are other models in a moderate price range?

Also how hard is it to get the Boat balance with motors mounted high and way back? Seems for years they tried to move performance I/O’ s close to center and low, opposite with the OB.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.