Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Speed Limit article in Asbury Park Press (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/35208-speed-limit-article-asbury-park-press.html)

Ron P 10-20-2002 05:19 PM

Speed Limit article in Asbury Park Press

After reading the article, and speaking to one of the commissionars directly, it sounds like the understand the issues and may actually do the right thing.

Meaning, speed limits in highly congested areas and no speed limit in non congested areas.

Its well written and includes losts of different viewpoints.

C_Spray 10-20-2002 05:42 PM

Sounds like NJPPC Commandement #10. Somebody should ask them why they waited so long to adapt a performance boating club's policy that's been in effect for years.....

Hope it works out as planned.

mopower 10-20-2002 05:48 PM

Now we're supposed feel good about this. Just like the seatbeat laws when they started. Our politicians are smart enough to think we're dumb enough not to know what the next step is:rolleyes:
They also know if they imposed a standard speed limit (like 30mph) up and down the ICW there would be all kinds oh hell raised. So they start out easy and rub our backs and say "See it's not so bad" and we're happy and drool and wag our tails like a bunch of puppy dogs:mad:. In the mean time you know stage two has already been discussed and probably a tentitive date even set.
On another happy NJ note I heard today our garus are well on their way to banned cell phones in cars state wide and according to the news broadcast it should come REAL soon. WTF!!!

SHARKEY-IMAGES 10-21-2002 02:59 AM

Cell Phones: January 2003

Speed Limits: April 1st 2003 Gives a new meaning to FOOLS DAY... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

My opinion is, if they are going to shove this Speed Limit down our throats, then let's at least get them to agree to have it only enforced within the channel markers. All outside channel areas should be left wide open for a full throttle playground...

Another thing, how is this going to effect all the new Hi-Speed ferries that were just built for commuting to NY??? You think that they are willing to do 30mph?? :confused:

boot 10-21-2002 12:13 PM

Hey sharkey , GOOD POINT ! Us drunk ,high speed , loud boats are not the only ones that can't conform to this speed limit thing ! The high speed ferries and many other vessels have a legitimate need for speed too . How about these high speed thrill rides for hire ????? Some one better contact them and get their imput . Thats how they make their living !

Dean Ferry 10-21-2002 12:24 PM

IF NJ is like Fl., then NJ will EXEMPT the commerical vessels from these regulations!:mad:
MD

Shane 10-21-2002 12:35 PM

I think I read something somewhere that is only during weekends, thereby not adversely effecting the ferries. Remember, if the politicans are making $$$ off of it, i.e. teh ferries, they will exempt them.:mad:

Jana 10-21-2002 12:57 PM

Some of those ferries DO run on weekends. I remember having to outrun one of the ones out of the Highlands on several occasions when I had my Donzi up there.

SHARKEY-IMAGES 10-21-2002 05:21 PM

THAT'S IT!!! I'M REGISTERING MY 13 FOOTER COMMERCIAL!!! :D :D :D

boot 10-23-2002 12:42 AM

TTT .... I'm with sharkey ! My cats going comercial ! I always wanted to do a high speed boat ride buisness anyway ! (In my spare time ! :rolleyes: )