Active Thunder Boat Company For Sale >

Active Thunder Boat Company For Sale

Notices

Active Thunder Boat Company For Sale

Old 02-01-2018, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I talked to Pat this morning. He's looking for someone to come in that is "fired up, drinks 2 pots of coffee in the morning, and wants to kick ass in the boating industry".
He wants to divert some time to family and other investments, but doesn't want out of this. He also said he could convert the 29' dual console deck mold into a CC option in less than a day's work.

I truly think it's a great opportunity.
And even more so considering he's open to help with financing.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

6471042677.html
Attached Thumbnails Active Thunder Boat Company For Sale-active-cc.jpg  

Last edited by northernoffshore; 02-01-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I talked to Pat this morning. He's looking for someone to come in that is
"fired up, drinks 2 pots of coffee in the morning, and wants to kick ass in the boating industry".

He wants to divert some time to family and other investments, but doesn't want out of this. He also said he could convert the 29' dual console deck mold into a CC option in less than a day's work.

I truly think it's a great opportunity.
Would love to see AT continue and succeed. No joke, if the 29 they have now came out 10 years ago I would have been all over one. Just too late in my life now for that significant of an investment that is simply a toy. I never understood why AT didn't sell more boats other than as I stated above, the lack of a dealer network. The blue 33 that went to Virginia (?) new is still one of my all time favorite boats.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:25 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Would love to see AT continue and succeed. No joke, if the 29 they have now came out 10 years ago I would have been all over one. Just too late in my life now for that significant of an investment that is simply a toy. I never understood why AT didn't sell more boats other than as I stated above, the lack of a dealer network. The blue 33 that went to Virginia (?) new is still one of my all time favorite boats.
There are less than a handful of boat dealers anymore that stock new boats (plural) of this caliber, period.
Floor-planning dried up for these recreational crafts thanks to the Hionasasses of this world. The RV industry recovered, but the Marine industry has not in that aspect.
The "dealer" agreement requires a commitment of buying/selling/ordering boats, and that's where the rub is.

Pat always made sure to establish a 'servicing dealer' relationship with each of his new customers in their backyard. As such, it wasn't ever a huge concern.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:10 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
How can anyone make any money when Mercury wants what? $150k for a drive/engine package? $300k before you even buy a piece of fiberglass. They have a nice monopoly but they`re shooting themselves in the foot at the same time.
What's the cost of power from an independent engine builder for a similar featured/hp engine? From what I've seen there can be savings but it's still plenty of money.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:31 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Where do you get a workforce when you're building boats infrequently ? There is a skill set needed for various stages of construction.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by payuppsucker
And even more so considering he's open to help with financing.
The sale is mostly "good will" as the assets are really not financeable. Banks look at the asset value when considering a loan. This business has molds, a trademark and a name. At a bank auction those assets would bring very little. Many businesses are sold on good will type sales (restaurants/bars for example as they usually don't have huge assets unless they own the building).

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Where do you get a workforce when you're building boats infrequently ? There is a skill set needed for various stages of construction.
I suspect owning a sister business like a body shop would allow for a decent amount of employee crossover. If you can sand fiberglass you can sand car fenders too!
Old 02-01-2018, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Knot 4 Me,

The blue 33 is housed on a small lake in southern Wisconsin. We trailer to LOTO several times a year. The boat has been great for the year we have owned it. The 33 is easy to tow and does great if you run into some rough conditions, like leaving the Shootout last year.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:41 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
How can anyone make any money when Mercury wants what? $150k for a drive/engine package? $300k before you even buy a piece of fiberglass. They have a nice monopoly but they`re shooting themselves in the foot at the same time.
I would LOVE to some complete NON MERCURY engine/drive packages in the 500, 600, 700hp ranges!!!
Old 02-02-2018, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
I would LOVE to some complete NON MERCURY engine/drive packages in the 500, 600, 700hp ranges!!!
Won't happen......market is too small and R&D costs are too high for any type of new product launch. Remember what happened to Ilmor and they are already in the engine business! They got their 710 motor in a bunch of different boats (types/brands) and still shut the program down after just a few years.

These boats are old school technology. Think about if you were an inventor would you design a new high tech VCR or rotary dial telephone to market and sell? OB's are the direction everyone is going (warranty/maintenance are big plus factors).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.