Active Thunder Boat Company For Sale

Notices

Active Thunder Boat Company For Sale

Old 01-31-2018, 08:51 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Assuming your right about the handful of investors (I have no idea), consider the ROI (return on investment) and then look at the average new boat price from those manufacturers......makes "investing" look more lucrative. The lower the average price of the new boat, the lower the margin, the lower the ROI.
I my industry, we have a different definition of ROI which trumps Return on Investment:
Risk of Incarceration.

Funny how that can translate into the marine industry too isn't it?
Old 01-31-2018, 08:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 366 Likes on 245 Posts

It is still a subject of interest when not taking the money part of it in the equation. Building boats is something i would reaaly like to be involved in, no doubt! It is only a big guess money wise. But there is always and will always be a market for boats, no doubt. Its only to find where the market is, and where the market will be in the futur, and adapt to demand... easier to say than to do! Lots of respect for boat manufacturers!
Old 02-01-2018, 06:22 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I my industry, we have a different definition of ROI which trumps Return on Investment:
Risk of Incarceration.

Funny how that can translate into the marine industry too isn't it?
I actually typed ROI and then went back and added the definition. I like acronyms but can't stand when someone uses one that isn't real common so I usually have to google it for a translation.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 290 Likes on 138 Posts

Does anybody know if the 43 mold was ever completed? IMO even the 37 AT has become small for todays standards. Look at OL, they couldn't sell the 36, and have even now phased out their 39. Cig isn't really building any 38/39's anymore, they are all 42/46/50.

I think if AT had started building a staggered 43, they would have sold. The 43 would have also been a natural progression for AT owners to trade in their 37's and get into a new 43.

I know the DDC bottom wasn't designed for staggered setup, but I'm sure Pat could make it work. Even if the boat ran the same speed as a side by side setup, there is just something magical about a full staggered #6 boat throwing that monster rooster tail offshore.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by 302Sport
Does anybody know if the 43 mold was ever completed? IMO even the 37 AT has become small for todays standards. Look at OL, they couldn't sell the 36, and have even now phased out their 39. Cig isn't really building any 38/39's anymore, they are all 42/46/50.

I think if AT had started building a staggered 43, they would have sold. The 43 would have also been a natural progression for AT owners to trade in their 37's and get into a new 43.

I know the DDC bottom wasn't designed for staggered setup, but I'm sure Pat could make it work. Even if the boat ran the same speed as a side by side setup, there is just something magical about a full staggered #6 boat throwing that monster rooster tail offshore.
Sunsation had a 43 that hit at the tail end of the boom, they based it off the 38 Powerplay which was a fantastic hull. They built 15-20 F4's and then the market simply never got another order. They built an Ilmor 710 boat, a 1075 boat, a 662 boat and the rest were 700's. Shogren ordered a "no power" F4 but I'm not sure what it ended up with for power.

The market for I/0 stuff is limited, why build something that the market clearly doesn't demand? If Cig/OL are taking most of the 42-44 ft V bottom sales then why spend all the R&D money on what might be a one off build? Not too many clients will want to be the guinea pig for a new build......look at the 42 Sonic w/1100's.......one and done and resale looked like it took awhile and a big discount to get it sold. The Chief 42's are another train wreck despite having a legendary hull to start from.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:33 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

There is only tooling for 22-37' boats; no 43'.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,040 Likes on 1,353 Posts

https://www.bizbuysell.com/Business-...YzljUSUzZCUzZA==
Old 02-01-2018, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Sunsation had a 43 that hit at the tail end of the boom, they based it off the 38 Powerplay which was a fantastic hull. They built 15-20 F4's and then the market simply never got another order. They built an Ilmor 710 boat, a 1075 boat, a 662 boat and the rest were 700's. Shogren ordered a "no power" F4 but I'm not sure what it ended up with for power.

The market for I/0 stuff is limited, why build something that the market clearly doesn't demand? If Cig/OL are taking most of the 42-44 ft V bottom sales then why spend all the R&D money on what might be a one off build? Not too many clients will want to be the guinea pig for a new build......look at the 42 Sonic w/1100's.......one and done and resale looked like it took awhile and a big discount to get it sold. The Chief 42's are another train wreck despite having a legendary hull to start from.
First F-4 was a 600/Bravo boat as the 700's were not yet in production. The choices would have been 525's, 600's, 850's, or 1075's. The bottom of the F-4 started life from the 38 PP bottom but after extensive modifications bears no resemblance other than the chines.. The first F-4 also was the only boat built with composite (foam-cored) stringers. Maybe number 2 was as well but I know shortly after orders began the switch was made back to wood stringers.

A dealer network may be able to spark interest in the existing AT lineup for a new owner. However, it is my humble opinion the refusal to re-enter the CC market that resulted in flat sales to the public. Sunsation is the perfect example of a boat company that would have probably ceased to exist today had they not changed with consumer wants.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 4,260 Likes on 1,227 Posts

How can anyone make any money when Mercury wants what? $150k for a drive/engine package? $300k before you even buy a piece of fiberglass. They have a nice monopoly but they`re shooting themselves in the foot at the same time.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:51 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

I talked to Pat this morning. He's looking for someone to come in that is
"fired up, drinks 2 pots of coffee in the morning, and wants to kick ass in the boating industry".

He wants to divert some time to family and other investments, but doesn't want out of this. He also said he could convert the 29' dual console deck mold into a CC option in less than a day's work.

I truly think it's a great opportunity.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 02-01-2018 at 11:03 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.