Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Best Chicago Harbor to Launch Go Fast Boat >

Best Chicago Harbor to Launch Go Fast Boat

Notices

Best Chicago Harbor to Launch Go Fast Boat

Old 02-14-2018, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Almost forgot...the Portage option. If you can stay on your boat...excellent...cuz there's no place nearby. Marina Shores might have slips for rent...but I heard last year they were pretty full. They just opened a new brewery in the Marina...so that will be a definite stop for us next season.
The ramp is steep and a bit short...I went off the end with the trailer for my 35 Fountain years ago.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:07 PM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
New Buffalo absolutely lets you leave truck and trailer...and they have a HUGE lot walking distance from the slips. The only issue you'd have there is that the municipal marina isn't very big, so reservations are HIGHLY recommended through the MI DNR website. We boat out of there a couple times per year.

As mentioned, Hammond and East Chicago will probably be your best bets...but...any way you cut it, check the NOAA forecast (https://graphical.weather.gov/sector...Week.php#tabs) .

Boaters Beach is a great place to hang out, and even though Chicago isn't very "boater friendly," its still pretty awesome to see from the Lake, hang out in the PlayPen north of Navy Pier, or lock through on the River and go to City Winery. There are actually places to tie off on the sea wall of the River now...but I'd recommend having some SERIOUS fenders, as the ferrys and water taxis show no mercy. Grabbing a slip in the City can also be an issue...all the marinas are owned by WestRec, and reservations are through Dockwa online or through an app. 31st St. has TONS of open slips, but further in towards downtown and north, they are hard to come by (and they are $$$$$).

Let me know if/when you are coming up...I'd happily show you around if we are in town.

What Mike said let us know what day or week-end you are thinking and maybe we can put together a tour....
Old 02-17-2018, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

New Buffalo absolutely lets you leave truck and trailer....
Last time I launched there, I was heading to the michigan city boat races and had a slip there for the weekend. We launched in new buffalo friday night. They had signs saying no overnight parking. I had to talk to 3 different people about leaving the trailer and truck there overnight. They all made it seem like I would be at my own risk. The woman who was workint the harbor had to call for a police officer to come by, to double check with him about leaving the truck and trailer there. Had to write a short story on a piece of paper and leave it on my dashboard.

i dont know if they recently changed things, or I simply got a handful of workers who didnt know their azz from a hole in the ground, but ......i did leave it for the weekend and no ticket on truck when i returned on sunday.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:45 PM
Registered

Looks like without written permission , you could get ticketed or towed .
Attached Thumbnails Best Chicago Harbor to Launch Go Fast Boat-screenshot_20180217-224208.png  
Old 02-17-2018, 11:27 PM
Registered

Received 186 Likes on 96 Posts

New Buffalo absolutely lets you leave truck and trailer...and they have a HUGE lot walking distance from the slips. The only issue you'd have there is that the municipal marina isn't very big, so reservations are HIGHLY recommended through the MI DNR website. We boat out of there a couple times per year.

As mentioned, Hammond and East Chicago will probably be your best bets...but...any way you cut it, check the NOAA forecast (https://graphical.weather.gov/sector...Week.php#tabs) .

Boaters Beach is a great place to hang out, and even though Chicago isn't very "boater friendly," its still pretty awesome to see from the Lake, hang out in the PlayPen north of Navy Pier, or lock through on the River and go to City Winery. There are actually places to tie off on the sea wall of the River now...but I'd recommend having some SERIOUS fenders, as the ferrys and water taxis show no mercy. Grabbing a slip in the City can also be an issue...all the marinas are owned by WestRec, and reservations are through Dockwa online or through an app. 31st St. has TONS of open slips, but further in towards downtown and north, they are hard to come by (and they are $$$$$).

Let me know if/when you are coming up...I'd happily show you around if we are in town.

I’m going to take you up on that, thank you. I’m a small lake boater so some insight on the big lake is much appreciated! I’ll also pickup the bar tab for your inconvenience.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:00 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Looks like without written permission , you could get ticketed or towed .
You just need to tell the person collecting money that you are leaving the rig overnight and they will put a tag on your trailer. They do not charge for overnight parking either.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SC288
You just need to tell the person collecting money that you are leaving the rig overnight and they will put a tag on your trailer. They do not charge for overnight parking either.
i do like their ramps there.