Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Question on shallow water operation? >

Question on shallow water operation?

Notices

Question on shallow water operation?

Old 02-15-2018, 03:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on shallow water operation?

I do apologize beforehand if this topic has been already addressed. I have a 28 foot deep v speed boat and for some reason as much as I try to navigate shallow waters or sand bars I always end up sucking up dirt and sand and each trip is costing me to have my mechanic come out to my house and fix my boat after each run. I live in Florida and this mainly happens when I’m out in the ocean and tend to visit and sand bars, or shallow water areas. Mind you I had a depth finder and I’m extrely careful. Or should I just plain stay out of shallow waters in general? Lol

It has a bravo x outdrive and onboard motor. Any suggestions? Heck I was even wondering if there is a portable trolling motor to use in those occasions or circumstances? Any and all help and advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance, GABE
Old 02-15-2018, 05:40 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Install a sea strainer, I had the same problem with my Donzi 22zx, the water pickup on the nose of the drive sucks up the sand and kills the impeller.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:44 AM
Registered

Thank you so much. I will definitely have my mechanic do that. It sucks to know it’s going to happen each time. Thanks again
Old 02-15-2018, 06:47 AM
Registered

Interested in this topic as well. I have had a similar issue since I upgraded to an IMCO lower, particularly with sucking up sand at a sand bar. I try not to start the boat until I am back in deep water, but can only push it out so far and sometimes it is unavoidable.

Would a sea strainer help with sand as well?
Old 02-15-2018, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Gabe Ramirez
Thank you so much. I will definitely have my mechanic do that. It sucks to know it’s going to happen each time. Thanks again
Do you have low water pickups?? If so, do you need low water pickups??
Old 02-15-2018, 07:08 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

If the water is low enough to suck up sand you're too far onto the sandbar.....it's also shallow enough to stand. Throw the anchor over, then get out and walk the boat in.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 1,310 Likes on 731 Posts

I get this a lot down here as well, the strainers help a little just because it gives it a dump spot but I now have a dual water pickup on one drive. Lots of shallow places here, even getting into some fuel docks I will trim up and still kick a ton of stuff up.

The difference in what I suck up between it and the low water is crazy, I want another one. Also no water pressure issues with the dual.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:41 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 515 Posts

Sand/Sea strainers from Hardin:
Hardin Marine - Sand Strainer Kits

Depending on the application, you may be able to have your water pickup(s) modified.
Which option does your Bravo X outdrive have now?
-Dual Water Pickups
-Low Water Pickup
-High Water Pickup

You can't normally pilot your boat through sand, but occasionally it happens. You also can't trim it to the moon in efforts to idle though, as that will destroy your U-joints and other parts. If you boat to regular locations, spend time dialing in your GPS with water depths as well as 'breadcrumbs' for paths you have taken in the past with no issues.

Due to the shallow waters of the West Coast of Florida, there are quite a few folks that have made the switch to outboard powered boats that can be trimmed up high for idling through shallow water.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:02 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Outboards with hydraulic jack plates. How many remember the Mercury scissor jack. These are good for low water conditions.

for inboards and I/O's ---- Look at Hardin duel screen sea strainers. It would prob be best to call them next week. Alot of their employees are at the Miami boat show.

Low water levels for us is very common as well.

With crap sucked up from low water conditions especially in non closed cooled engine apps - the t stat and its housing especially if has the check balls in the housing is also another problem area that gets jammed up. Also the exhaust manifolds / risers.

And really needs to be checked for Volvo Penta apps as well.

Last edited by BUP; 02-15-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

My pick ups sit 40" below the water line at idle, I therefore refuse to boat in anything less than 6'. Just replaced impellers after 1 yr, 5 mos. and they were flawless. No strainers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.