Notices

Croatia

Old 12-14-2006, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Croatia

I know this isnt about boating, but my wife and I are planning a trip to Croatia and I thought with yhe knowledge thats on this board it should be a good place to get information. When is the best time of year to go? Places to stay? My wife likes lighthouses. Things to see? What to be careful of? Where not to go? Id appreciate any help. Thanks Brian
Old 12-14-2006, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 201 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Re: Croatia

I spent a lot of time in Croatia and Bosnia during the war. The people are the greatest, they treat you just as if you are family.

If you are going into Bosnia, I have some people that you could stay with.

In Croatia the very best place to visit is Dubrovnik. It is a walled city and the architecture is some of the finest in Europe. Most of the damage from the war has been repaired.

The temp over there is very much like New York at the same time of year. Cold in the winter, but hot in the summer and spring and fall about the same.

There used to be offshore racng from Italy to Markaska on the Croatian coast in the 60's. Great open ocean running across the Adriatic all the way.

Give me some more ideas on where you want to go and I'll see what I can do to help.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:54 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What more could you ask for?
Old 12-14-2006, 08:57 AM
Registered

My co-pilot on all of my great boating adventures is a refugee from the war-torn Yugoslavia, now called Croatia. He has wild stories of growing up in such a poor country with some of the most awesome coastlines in the world.

Adriatic waters are deep blue, gentile breezes push German windsurfers out to sea and the beaches are lined with beautiful women. You will see the wealthy vacationing in Croatia with their large yachts anchored in the bay. However, the largest go-fast that you'll see will be around 22 feet as gas is at a premium-$6.00 a gallon to a most impoverished economy.

The sculpture of the land is incredible along the Dalmatian Coast with marble-walled cliffs, the same marble that built the White House. Leaving the beach to head up to the mountains is a climate change. Extremely cold and snowy this time of year.

have a great time vacationing in Croatia. C'mon Zoran, chime in.
Attached Thumbnails Croatia-key-west-florida-06-076.jpg  
Old 12-14-2006, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife and I stopped in Dubrovnik on a Cruise towards the end of June, when we were there the temps were in the upper 90's and rather high humidity ( alot of Europe was abnormally hot last summer ). We toured the old walled city and cruised the nearby coastline in dare I say it, a sailboat The guide told us that it was a very popular tourist area for Europeans because of relatively low costs. Hope this helps some! Steve
Old 12-15-2006, 05:40 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Wow Bri! When are you and Cindy making the journey?
Old 12-15-2006, 10:11 PM
Registered

There is also a nice island park in Zagreb where they had the skulling during the Olympics, we did a show there in 03 and it was a great place but it rained all friggin day. downtown was surprisingly metropolitan with really nice hotels and great food. Hopefully you are flying directly in and not having to go through Slovenia's border, they were kind of jerks there.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:02 PM
Registered

Um they don't build any boats out there, and you know you'll have to fly. Why am I the last to know.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I work with a guy from Croatia... he is a draftsman/designer... He went home for a month but, I'll ask him if I remember in a month. He is from a town of like 2500 people that gets to like 25000 in the tourist season

Ernie
Old 12-17-2006, 06:10 PM
Registered

My sister went there for a vacation with her bf and said the coastline was ideal for boating. She told me that lots of islands and beaches reminded her of areas of the Great Lakes. Croatia is one of the best values in that part of the world right now. Can't wait to go there myself one day.

Quick Reply: Croatia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.