Notices

Kentucky Lake Questions

Old 02-23-2018, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Here’s a guide book to help explore the TN river. Home

I used to launch at Paris Landing mainly and sometimes Pickwick. Lots of fun cruising and exploring. The book has tons of great nav aids in it.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Most of the marinas are wet now and usually have live music until 11-12 on the weekends. Boating season starts Memorial day weekend and ends labor day weekend. The lake will be dead anytime before or after those dates but it is usually warm enough to boat into October and a couple weeks before Memorial day. They are plenty of coves and Kentucky Lake and Lake Barkley are connected by a causeway that you can fly through. On the Barkley side you will want to stay in the channel because it gets shallow outside of it. If you are entering coves its usually best to stay towards the south side when entering. Moors on Ky lake has a very good restaurant, Green Turtle bay's "Thirsty Turtle" bar, Buzzard Rock, Hu B's, and Eddy Creek's Echo Charlies are the places to go for food and drinks after a day of boating. There is also a poker run out of Hu B's June 22-24 called the Kuttawa Cannonball Run. Right across from Moor's resort is the old Rock Quarry that is a fun hangout and good time on Ky Lake. On the Barkley side the cove to go to is Davenport Bay or the Little River area down by the Barkley Lodge. There is a pretty good go fast scene on both lakes. You won't be disappointed. Also, the weekend after Labor day, plan on hauling your boat to Lake Cumberland if you want to see one of the best and biggest Poker Runs in the country. Hope that helps answer some questions.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Bigslow, Thank you that is the type of info I am looking for. Anything to give me a little heads up on do's/don'ts where to go etc.
Really looking forward to this summer as I have never spent any time in this part of the country. Everything I read indicates it should be beautiful and I really like the long run capabilities of the area. I really miss that aspect of boating after Colorado River, Sacramento Delta, and Florida boating.
I've been watching the local weather and 3 of next 4 nights freezing makes me feel crazy writing a storage space check.
Thanks again to all for any knowledge/advice given.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Have a real good map, and watch for rocks on those lakes
Old 03-12-2018, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

My (long) original post failed - but in summary, you'll have a great time on Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Looks like the boat has a new address, it hasn't even made it out of Texas yet. Looks like a unit at A&D in Eddyville came up and I grabbed it. Anybody have any experience with these folks? And $ 55/month cheaper. Also will be giving up the unit (12x36) at Ky. Dam Marina if anybody wants to grab it before I notify them please let me know and I will work with you to get it for you. $ 150/mo. mo-mo rent.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

My previous post failed, and I have a minute so I'll try to remember what I wrote.

KENTUCKY LAKE

Moor's Marina - good food, 93 octane gasoline, now serving beer (maybe alcohol?) although I've; not been to the bar since they opened it. Ramp is nice, parking is iffy. We quit going there once we got in to longer boats - just not much room to maneuver truck/trailer, and really no structure toward parking on their property. We had a great time there, however - stayed there several times.

Ky Dam Marina - not much there. I don't believe they have a restaurant or bar. I've stayed there once, ramp and parking lot was very nice.

Breaker's - great food ! and great staff at restaurant. Live music during day on weekends, haven't been there at night.

BARKLEY LAKE

Green Turtle Bay - they have 93 octane gasoline on back side of property. We have stayed there but never launched there - been quite a while ago. I'm not sure if they have a bar, but they do have food.

Buzzard Rock - good food. Pizza is great! Bar and restaurant. Plenty of boat/dock parking. Bands on Friday/Saturday nights. Open till about 10pm.

Hu-B's - great food. It's the current hot spot. Bar and restaurant. Boat/dock parking can be challenging at times - but generally no problem. Bands on Friday/Saturday nights. Open til about 10pm.

And most importantly, a Poker Run in June.
Kuttawa Cannonball Run: June 22~23, 2018
Kuttawa Cannonball Run The official website of The Kuttawa Cannonball Run!
REGISTRATION OPENED TODAY!!
2nd year for this event. This would be a good opportunity for you to visit all of the main marina's on the lakes.

That's enough for now - Google them for actual locations.

Last edited by ALL_IN!; 03-27-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:04 AM
"Unregistered Gun"
Platinum Member

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ALL_IN!
My previous post failed, and I have a minute so I'll try to remember what I wrote.

KENTUCKY LAKE

Moor's Marina - good food, 93 octane gasoline, now serving beer (maybe alcohol?) although I've; not been to the bar since they opened it. Ramp is nice, parking is iffy. We quit going there once we got in to longer boats - just not much room to maneuver truck/trailer, and really no structure toward parking on their property. We had a great time there, however - stayed there several times.

Ky Dam Marina - not much there. I don't believe they have a restaurant or bar. I've stayed there once, ramp and parking lot was very nice.

Breaker's - great food ! and great staff at restaurant. Live music during day on weekends, haven't been there at night.

BARKLEY LAKE

Green Turtle Bay - they have 93 octane gasoline on back side of property. We have stayed there but never launched there - been quite a while ago. I'm not sure if they have a bar, but they do have food.

Buzzard Rock - good food. Pizza is great! Bar and restaurant. Plenty of boat/dock parking. Bands on Friday/Saturday nights. Open till about 10pm.

Hu-B's - great food. It's the current hot spot. Bar and restaurant. Boat/dock parking can be challenging at times - but generally no problem. Bands on Friday/Saturday nights. Open til about 10pm.

And most importantly, a Poker Run in June.
Kuttawa Cannonball Run: June 22~23, 2018
Kuttawa Cannonball Run The official website of The Kuttawa Cannonball Run!
REGISTRATION OPENED TODAY!!
2nd year for this event. This would be a good opportunity for you to visit all of the main marina's on the lakes.

That's enough for now - Google them for actual locations.
A lot of good info here, I stay and boat out of Moors which parking can suck but it has a full bar and bands on the weekend. The popular party coves on KY lake is the Rock Quarry and The Sands, Smith Bay and Duncan Bay are a little more laid back but good places to hangout!

https://www.moorsresort.com/

Also on KY lake is Breakers and Fat Daddy's which is in TN and about 45 miles from the Dam, both have a great atmosphere and bands.

http://www.fatdaddysfun.com/

http://thebreakersmarina.com/

Lake Barkley also has the Thirsty Turtle at Green Turtle bay, docking isn't the best but its a neat place!

http://www.greenturtlebay.com/Fun-Me...ty-Turtle.aspx

Hu-B's and Buzzard Rock is both a great choice! Good bands, cold beer, and ALL-IN rocking out in the Fountian!!

http://www.kuttawaharbormarina.com/

https://www.buzzardrock.com/

Last edited by Jim Diesel; 03-28-2018 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:15 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Bring booz a lot of dry counties around there
Old 03-28-2018, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

The lake area is all wet now. You can buy beer almost anywhere

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.