After Short Day, Fountain Coming Back For Kilo Record Attempt Tomorrow >

After Short Day, Fountain Coming Back For Kilo Record Attempt Tomorrow

Notices

After Short Day, Fountain Coming Back For Kilo Record Attempt Tomorrow

Old 02-27-2018, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1

so...the fountain has 250 hp more per side than the OL. now I’m really confused.
Easily confused !

You know what that means
Old 02-27-2018, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by hadleycat
Easily confused !

You know what that means
I’m glad you understand it. please explain the numbers I’m seeing? They don’t add up.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 333 Likes on 124 Posts

Pretty cool. If they were able to enter course at 178 and exit at 184 you’d think they have a chance tomorrow if everything lines up. People will have a lot to say either way.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1

I’m glad you understand it. please explain the numbers I’m seeing? They don’t add up.
Your missing a piece of the puzzle that adds up exponentially, and its a real drag, hydrodynamically and aerodynamically
Old 02-27-2018, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
Your missing a piece of the puzzle that adds up exponentially, and its a real drag, hydrodynamically and aerodynamically
Oh...you mean the parachute of an engine lid they put on the back of it? Go figure.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by shaun harrington

can you say, Mike fiore “knocked it out of the park” when it came to bottom design!!!
then why did they have Brian redo the bottom?
Old 02-27-2018, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flat rate

then why did they have Brian redo the bottom?
I don’t think Brian redid the bottom, but the factory can tell you for sure, I’m pretty sure he dialed the boat in.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:39 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by shaun harrington

I don’t think Brian redid the bottom, but the factory can tell you for sure, I’m pretty sure he dialed the boat in.
I don't think anyone up north is/was talking up the fact that OL hired BF to rework the bottom of their Kilo boat to get the record. But I assure you it is/was common knowledge among the NC HP boating community before, during, and after the OL kilo run that OL hired Brain to do just that - and drive it. Brain had OL put a pad bottom on their Kilo boat, which they normally don't have, then towed it to NC where Brain and his guys did further modifications to the hull. It wasn't by chance that OL hired Reggie Fountain's star apprentice, who he had mentored for 20 years - teaching him every trick in the book about making Vee Bottoms go fast. The end result was a bad-ass kilo boat that could go really, really fast in a straight line. OL won the Kilo record fair and square - but without BF's help they probably never would have even gotten close.

The reason Reggie is so eaten up with getting this record back, and he even eluded to it just the other day, is that OL had to hire his star apprentice to modify the OL bottom to take the record from him. As for Fountain's current problems with their Kilo boat, you have to remember that the factory hasn't produced a 42 Hull (40 race boat) in nearly a decade - and they have few issues they need to iron out. Be it tomorrow, next week, or even next month - my guess is they will get it straightened out.

Last edited by Marginmn; 02-27-2018 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
Brain had OL put a pad bottom on their Kilo boat, which they normally don't have, then towed it to NC where Brain and his guys did further modifications to the hull. It wasn't by chance that OL hired Reggie Fountain's star apprentice, who he had mentored for 20 years - teaching him every trick in the book about making Vee Bottoms go fast. The end result was a bad-ass kilo boat that could go really, really fast in a straight line. OL won the Kilo record fair and square - but without BF's help they probably never would have even gotten close.

The reason Reggie is so eaten up with getting this record back, and he even eluded to it just the other day, is that OL had to hire his star apprentice to modify the OL bottom to take the record from him.
1) Good business plan means having people involved that gets results (same reason why Reggie had Peter/Skater lay up Fountain race hulls as they were littering the race courses with sections of hulls for a time period)... same reason why the likes of JT and Gilbreath have/ (retired) renowned careers - they get results that people pay for

2) From the way the post reads, it's a no-brainer that this kilo-boat should have gone to Brian as well...? just goes to show Reggie had the right person in his shop. As far as hull mods the the OL, I know a lot of people that dropped serious $$ on blueprinting a hull for a few extra top end MPH on weekend boats. A kilo challenger is in its own world.

3) chances are in Fountain's favor to break 181 - HP difference in a good hull should give them the advantage if they can get the set up right -should have an encyclopedia on this hull's sweet spots even with the few mods they put into it without having to take monster swings at set-up. When first reported the boat ran 150 at half throttle, I thought it was going to be a 1 and done attempt with the monster Sterlings

Last edited by speicher lane; 02-28-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

What phragle said...

As a decent first approximation (for bench racing purposes only), HP required goes up as the square of the desired speed increase. Following this equation, if the Outerlimits went 180 mph with 1650s it would need (200/180) squared X 1650 = 2037 HP to go 200 mph. If the original Fountain went 170 with 1500s it would need (200/170) squared X 1500 = 2076 HP to go 200 mph. The two choices for the new Fountain are to add more power and/or make the hull more efficient through air and water. They have added power, and testing will find the hull efficiency. They will certainly break the record and my guess is 190 mph.

Does anyone know if the Outerlimits had #6 or #8 drives? I'm assuming #6 but I don't know for sure.

Good luck and safe testing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.