Kilo Record Eludes Fountain >

Kilo Record Eludes Fountain

Notices

Kilo Record Eludes Fountain

Old 02-28-2018, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by launchpad475
Why is everyone writing it off, sounds like a mechanical failure with that leaking manifold, no? Did they make an attempt other than test passes?
They made several attempts at the record over a 3 day period and couldn't do it. The power level of these engines is really pushing the envelope for piston engines small and light enough for an offshore boat and besides the cracked manifold they are already in need of complete refreshing after maybe a couple dozen passes. That is insane and I agree that turbine power makes much more sense. One has to wonder how deep the pockets are of whoever is financing this project and if they will continue to pursue the kilo record. Time will tell but for now the party is over. Thanks for the entertainment kilo crew and an "A" for effort!
Old 02-28-2018, 02:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 333 Likes on 124 Posts

I don't know the official results, but it was written that they ran 179 in one direction and 171 on the way back yesterday. Pretty stout. I think they will have a good shot at it after a regroup, and I hope it sparks some back and forth with OL.

Just my thoughts....I think the majority of the customer base prefers to see this on piston power and really doesn't give a crap about a turbine boat doing it. Its too far disconnected from what everyone has.

When is the Pier 57 boat supposed to make an attempt? I saw that they were raising funds to take a stab at it.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by DRAG
Just my thoughts....I think the majority of the customer base prefers to see this on piston power and really doesn't give a crap about a turbine boat doing it. Its too far disconnected from what everyone has.
In my opinion these Sterling engines are "far disconnected from what everyone has." Who would want to run insane power like that with no reliability and crazy short rebuild intervals? JMO!
Old 02-28-2018, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 3,018 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by DRAG
I don't know the official results, but it was written that they ran 179 in one direction and 171 on the way back yesterday. Pretty stout. I think they will have a good shot at it after a regroup, and I hope it sparks some back and forth with OL.

Oh, they're there, just gotta work the bugs out. From SOTW story the other day -

Fountain, who is running the boat with throttleman Jeff Harris, said they also need to enter the kilo course at higher speed. “We entered at 178 mph and exited about 184 mph,” he said. “We need to get on it a little earlier.”
Old 02-28-2018, 02:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 333 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
In my opinion these Sterling engines are "far disconnected from what everyone has." Who would want to run insane power like that with no reliability and crazy short rebuild intervals? JMO!
Certainly disconnected a bit, but its something that's more common to see on the lake. We get to see a good handful of 1300, 1500, 1700+hp powered boats at a lot of the shootouts and events. Lots of guys have big power now.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

The boat is going to be worked on to get more speed - best time ever to re-ring, inspect, reseal and ??? else to the Sterlings. God knows, tempting fate by not going over the motors, there would be an issue with one when the hull is ready to be strung out on the course
Old 02-28-2018, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IGetWet

Because they “run what they brung” and didn’t get it done. Ok just a little bit of ball busting. I’m sure they’ll get it dialed in and be back at it before too long. One does have to wonder if they’ll keep the testing/attempts a little more under wraps next time.
I don’t consider it ball busting, I consider it appropriate. Back in the day the APBA organized kilo runs to coincide with races. Racers got 1 or maybe 2 times a year to post a speed. If you didn’t you waited till next year, that’s Racing. Or at a minimum the kilo run was an event and a number of boats showed up. These staged events organized by a builder just seem contrived to me.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:36 PM
aex
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

They made several attempts at the record over a 3 day period and couldn't do it. The power level of these engines is really pushing the envelope for piston engines small and light enough for an offshore boat and besides the cracked manifold they are already in need of complete refreshing after maybe a couple dozen passes. That is insane and I agree that turbine power makes much more sense. One has to wonder how deep the pockets are of whoever is financing this project and if they will continue to pursue the kilo record. Time will tell but for now the party is over. Thanks for the entertainment kilo crew and an "A" for effort!

Not even top flight motors like Sterlings are going to run with exhaust / water intrusion. My Stotler Turbos are similar in design and power output. We run several 80 mile offshore races at 90% power with no issues. They'll address the manifold and be back flying. It's likely the water pick up adjustments I read they had to make in first runs likely stressed the exhaust. These guys are pros and will get it.

Last edited by aex; 02-28-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

I would bet the farm Fountain will be back tested and ready for the next attempt. I have never seen then settle for anything less than being number one !!!! Its not in his DNA and its a doable record.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
Congratulations on there efforts, and building a 160+ mph boat in a very short time frame. Best of luck in the future, maybe next time.
Sounds like a 20+ year old Black Thunder is faster!

Where is Parvey?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.