Dodged the Ice Reaper again >

Dodged the Ice Reaper again

Notices

Dodged the Ice Reaper again

Old 03-18-2018, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts
Default Dodged the Ice Reaper again

Yesterday was working on the boat getting ready to put it in. Removed a rag placed in the bilge and found a freeze plug laying in the bilge.

Started to sweat and put my head further down and noticed the block plug on the port side was still in. Also notice a rusty hole where the plug came out, the middle plug was half out, and felt behind the motor mount and found that one still in place.

Picked up a light and looked over the side of the block closely, and did not see any cracks. Cleaned the hole up with sand paper, used some high tac sealant and re-installed plugs.

Fired it up, no leaks and no extra oil. Dunked it in the water and brought it around into its slip. Still no leaks and no extra oil. Man did I get lucky AGAIN

This happened about 15 years ago with my Rinker. That time it was the starboard side. Said then as this time. I will not do this again, but it happened again.

Remember looking at all the plugs and thinking there should be one more, but had someone talking to me so I got side tracked. Hope I remember this time better.

Don't think SBC would be able to take the same freeze issue, but don't want to test the theory
Old 03-18-2018, 05:35 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 369 Likes on 248 Posts

You were lucky for sure!
Old 03-18-2018, 05:52 PM
Registered

Yep, twice
Old 03-18-2018, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Antifreeze works well....
Old 03-18-2018, 06:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by speicher lane
Antifreeze works well....
Only IF (the big if) all the water is taken out first. Also air does not freeze, so once all the water is gone, nothing will freeze
Old 03-18-2018, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

We pull the plugs and either blow in them with a blow nozzle , or shove a large wire or screw driver in them to remove the sediment and corrosion that settles to the bottom of the block. DONT EVER think that its dry because you pulled the plug an Nothing came out!!! Pour the block full of Antifreeze. I'm in central NC and it still
breaks the hell out of blocks here.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:03 PM
Registered

Agree with sticking a wire or something up inside when plug is pulled, but don't ever plan to using antifreeze. It doesn't hurt, but is a waste of money, time and the environment if reg anti is used. As always, is your boat and you are responsible when spring comes around again
Old 03-18-2018, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by AllDodge
Agree with sticking a wire or something up inside when plug is pulled, but don't ever plan to using antifreeze. It doesn't hurt, but is a waste of money, time and the environment if reg anti is used. As always, is your boat and you are responsible when spring comes around again
True, it is definitely to each their own but the cost of a gallon of antifreeze is less than the cost of the beer to pull the engine out - amusing you would do it yourself to keep cost down. Then you have to find/buy a replacement long block/engines and/or manifolds and hope it's quality.

3rd freeze up is obviously coming to your area. If you are worried about the environment, next freeze up is hopefully next fall for you to come across non-tox in your travels - JMHO

Last edited by speicher lane; 03-18-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:59 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by speicher lane
True, it is definitely to each their own but the cost of a gallon of antifreeze is less than the cost of the beer to pull the engine out - amusing you would do it yourself to keep cost down. Then you have to find/buy a replacement long block/engines and/or manifolds and hope it's quality.

3rd freeze up is obviously coming to your area. If you are worried about the environment, next freeze up is hopefully next fall for you to come across non-tox in your travels - JMHO
I Revised this epic quote some, hope you don’t mind. “ the cost of a few gallons of antifreeze is less than the cost of the beer you would drink while pulling out a cracked block.”
Old 03-19-2018, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 791 Likes on 373 Posts

we always tend to go overboard on making sure we winterized right...the 3-4 hours of being anal retentive is way better than discovering a cracked block in the spring.

We always use -100. Never -50. Prior to adding any antifreeze we always pull the plugs to drain the water. We even go as far as to start the engine with the plugs out and run it for 10 seconds. You’ll be amazed at what the water impeller pushes out. Then we run the engines for 8-10 minutes on antifreeze knowing the t stat opened.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.