Upper Mississippi navigational help please >

Upper Mississippi navigational help please

Notices

Upper Mississippi navigational help please

Old 03-23-2018, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Upper Mississippi navigational help please

My wife and I are talking about launching our Skater at the beginning of the Upper Mississippi river and boating the entire way to New Orleans. We saw the entire Ohio River in 2016 launching on the Mississippi below Cairo, IL transitioning to the Ohio River and up to Pittsburgh, PA. I have not started my "homework" yet but thought I would ask anyone on here with knowledge of where we should launch in Minnesota wanting to see as much of the river as possible where it is navigable in a 308 Skater. I'm fully aware of the locks, debris, weather and it is not always very scenic. This is a dream that my Grandfather passed down to my brother and me. I want to make this trip happen for my family someday. Any insight on the "beginning" of navigable water in the uppermost Mississippi River is greatly appreciated along with any must see's and must do's along the way. Realistically we hope to do a TON of "homework" over the next 14-16 months and plan our trip for sometime in summer of 2019. Thanks for any help.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:48 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Sounds like a great trip. I'm taking my boat to Kentucky Lake for at least this summer also to explore some of the vast river system.
While reaching out for similar info an OSO member Endeavor1 referred me to this great info source (big Thank You to Endeavor1)

Home
Have a great trip and good luck.

Last edited by GLENAMY 242SS; 03-23-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:23 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lake p.a.l.
My wife and I are talking about launching our Skater at the beginning of the Upper Mississippi river and boating the entire way to New Orleans. We saw the entire Ohio River in 2016 launching on the Mississippi below Cairo, IL transitioning to the Ohio River and up to Pittsburgh, PA. I have not started my "homework" yet but thought I would ask anyone on here with knowledge of where we should launch in Minnesota wanting to see as much of the river as possible where it is navigable in a 308 Skater. I'm fully aware of the locks, debris, weather and it is not always very scenic. This is a dream that my Grandfather passed down to my brother and me. I want to make this trip happen for my family someday. Any insight on the "beginning" of navigable water in the uppermost Mississippi River is greatly appreciated along with any must see's and must do's along the way. Realistically we hope to do a TON of "homework" over the next 14-16 months and plan our trip for sometime in summer of 2019. Thanks for any help.
You are certainly doing the right thing by planning well in advance and doing your " homework ". You wont regret a well planned trip especially one such as this. I have often bought " Cruising Guides" for many of my water travels. Of course the internet is a great resource as well to track down a lot of helpful info. Here is one link that may interest you: Cruising the Mississippi River Safe travels.
Bob

Bob
Old 03-23-2018, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

I'm fully aware of the locks, debris, weather and it is not always very scenic.
Since you have done the Ohio, you have a good base to start, already know how to read the signs. Did most of the Ohio my self, and done research for another some years ago which were going from Pitt to Orleans. What we found the biggest issue is refuel places. There are more diesel places then gas places. Found the best way was to go for gas boat was Ohio, Cumberland to Mobil, then Gulf and to Orleans.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:15 PM
Registered

A few years back I had a business 3 day layover in a small town on the river 30 miles E. of Minn. Stillwater was it's name. That place was very friendly with lots of antique shopping, small eateries and more that it's share of pubs. All within walking distance. Actually Stillwater is on the St. Croix but I had a great time in this friendly town,
Old 03-24-2018, 09:37 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info so far. I won't be as worried about fuel stops because we can carry 200 gallons and we will be going with the current. We will get a minimum of 3mpg. The Ohio trip was a bit scary in spots with only 80 gallons total, we had an extra 11 gallons just in case + we went upriver.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:53 AM
Registered

Just noticed you hone port Benicia, my old stomping grounds. Next time you go by B&W Resorts stop in and tell Candi that "Artie" (Gary Bell) said Hello.
I really miss the boating in that area. I belonged to the San Rafael YC and boated almost every week year round. Good luck with your journey and stay clear of the Battleships.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

It’s been years but I’ve traveled from Golconda Il. On the Ohio to Pensacola Fl. a couple of times. Kentucky lake to Chattanooga and Kentucky lake to Nashville Tn. Then did one trip north on the mississippi from Davenport Ia to Prairie Du Chien. Not sure what you found on the Ohio but on the Cumberland, Tennessee, and Tenn-Tom waterway most if not all marinas offered us courtesy cars for dinner and shopping trips, the experience on the part of the Mississippi we were on it was completely different they’d just tell you to call a cab.
Look at Quimby’s cruising guide also as a good source of info. It may be different now but fuel stops need to be well planned on the lower Mississippi.
are you planning a round trip or just one way down and trailer back? If round trip look at going east to Mobile and back up the Tenn-Tom waterway.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, you are going to be putting in in St Paul if you want to stay on the Mississippi. Otherwise putting in in Stillwater would be the better place. I'm in MN and have been up and down in pool 2 and 3, PM me for any specific questions if you have them.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by GLENAMY 242SS
Just noticed you hone port Benicia, my old stomping grounds. Next time you go by B&W Resorts stop in and tell Candi that "Artie" (Gary Bell) said Hello.
I really miss the boating in that area. I belonged to the San Rafael YC and boated almost every week year round. Good luck with your journey and stay clear of the Battleships.
We stored our 25 Daytona at B&W for a few years. It's an awesome place with great people working there. Our buddy F14 stores his Skater there & several friends also store their boats there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.