Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Any word on the DCB Lickity Split crash? Hope they are ok. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/353508-any-word-dcb-lickity-split-crash-hope-they-ok.html)

Matt Trulio 04-22-2018 11:52 AM

Jason Johnson was on scene yesterday. He stayed at the Lickity Split DCB M35 owner's home in Lake Havasu City this week while covering Desert Storm. He's working on a story that will go live later today. For those who haven't seen it, here is the link to the Mohave County Sheriff's Office Facebook page and the incident report, https://www.facebook.com/MohaveCount...b6SRuPHVM4dRHE.

Keytime 04-22-2018 12:00 PM

I absolutely agree with you, Indy, and statistics will back that up.

Running these boats at high speeds is higher-risk than the aforementioned mundane tasks. That’s the thrill of it. If the “if it’s your time” statement were true, you could go play in traffic for potentially years, but we know that’s bullsh*t. This is a high-risk activity and I suspect that Brad accepted that. A mistake can be deadly. We all accept the amount of risk we’re comfortable with. Nothing wrong with that. Just make sure you are indeed comfortable with it.

My sincere condolences to the friends and families of Brad and Paul, and sending healing wishes to Connie. They appear/ed to be stand-up people.

96scarab 04-22-2018 12:03 PM

For F@!k sakes are you guys really arguing about "if it's your time" :rolleyes: Talk about disrespectful..

phragle 04-22-2018 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Indy (Post 4622729)
^^ I totally look at it the other way. If flying was as risky as these boats, nobody would fly. Going to the grocery store is not pushing the limits of speed in an unpredictable environment. 150+ in a little boat is unreal, it gets looked at as routine but how many times do we read about a disaster here? Usually it's just "oh well, it's what he liked" or "mankind has to push the limits" or some bull. There's kids now without a father, sisters, brothers, uncles, etc. without family members for what? Because it's his day to go?

With my job, I get a very interesting perspective on death as I accompany people to death's door.When I die I hope its because I lived, not just existed.

thisistank 04-22-2018 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation (Post 4622692)
Not sure if you are contradicting yourself?
Accident sucked but the boat was beautiful and the guy looked like he really enjoyed the boat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlhIz0Vt52s

yes I was correcting my original post.

Cash Bar 04-22-2018 02:07 PM

Sad day for the lost ones and the remaining loved ones that have to cope. Prayers to all of them.

Tough day for the sport. The vests and kill switch were reported to be in use. Seems they did what they could to mitigate the odds.

I could go a while without having to post about this type of thing again. It sucks.

25Orion 04-22-2018 03:14 PM

This is an absolutely terrible tragedy, we all take risks daily but to basically call someone on their life choices is wrong guys.
This group is iconic in Havasu in my perspective as they’ve been all over and in the channel for years now and always yet out having a great time and always waving and just being open good people to this community. The loss will be missed by many more then personal friends and family, but at the same sad time i would personally rather go having a good time leading up to demise then cancer etc. people need not to frown and make negative of such an event but take it in stride and try to learn from it yet not try to change the freedoms of boating.
They did everything right had life jackets on he had the lanyard kill switch on as well, just a freak accident that cannot be reversed.

God Speed fellow boaters and good men, prayers to his wife for a full recovery 🙏🏽

RollWithIt 04-23-2018 08:57 AM

Once again, we are very sorry to hear about the loss of life from another tragic accident. Thoughts and prayers go out to the friends and family of those who died.

Despite the fact that boats are being made safer and safety equipment is being used, when speed gets increased the risk factor goes up exponentially. This is true on the street with a solid paved road surface and even more true on the water where the surface literally moves underneath. Everybody, please be safe out there!

Jupiter Sunsation 04-23-2018 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Indy (Post 4622729)
^^ I totally look at it the other way. If flying was as risky as these boats, nobody would fly. Going to the grocery store is not pushing the limits of speed in an unpredictable environment. 150+ in a little boat is unreal, it gets looked at as routine but how many times do we read about a disaster here? Usually it's just "oh well, it's what he liked" or "mankind has to push the limits" or some bull. There's kids now without a father, sisters, brothers, uncles, etc. without family members for what? Because it's his day to go?

So I guess after the 5 person fatality in Marco Island in a 33 Powerplay makes those too dangerous too?
Victims in fatal Marco boat wreck identified - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida

Since you mentioned "flying".......I would wager there are more deaths from private plane crashes than performance boats every year. So flying is more dangerous yet people still get on board. 386 died in 2016 US plane crashes, over 1 a day.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...st-in-50-years

iamjoe 04-23-2018 09:37 AM

Any updates on the survivor? Hopefully she will pull through. As for the crash, these things are going to happen. If this was an "accident" in its purest form, then it was Gods will. Not much any of us can do about that.