Notices

Educate me on poker runs

Old 04-23-2018, 06:09 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BBYSTWY
I gotcha...I've heard that if you're a west Michigan offshore member you get a deal on entry fee so maybe I'll do some checking into that

I know it might be a little bit of a haul for ya, but look into the Thunder Run and Lake Cumberland Poker Run. They are both on Lake Cumberland in southern Kentucky which is a beautiful lake. Also, especially in the Thunder Run, I'd say 75% of the boats are like yours and mine. I have a 25ft Checkmate and won't hesitate to enter it. Also it's a $225-250 entry fee which includes a slip, a couple of t-shirts and a meal. I used to feel the same way as you, like the poker runs were only for the big boys, but these are a couple of great options for ya!!
Old 04-23-2018, 06:11 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Since your close to WMO maybe try one of their fun runs, they should have a spring run coming up that will be very cost effective. Great way to see what its all about, learn about rafting off at stops, make some new friends. Our 1st poker run was Lake Cumberland fall run 6 years ago and it was amazing + a lot to take in at the same time. Do what makes you feel comfortable and NEVER feel you cannnot participate because you don't have the latest, greatest, biggest, fastest, etc..
Old 04-23-2018, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 791 Likes on 373 Posts

If I learned anything from boating it’s that you’ll never be the biggest, fastest, newest etc. there’s always someone that’s faster. So no sense in chasing your tail.

Find some events and run what you have. I think you’ll be surprised on how many people have similar boats age, length, and speed.

Dont forget it’s not a race. Go out and enjoy yourself safely.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:21 AM
Registered

Received 791 Likes on 373 Posts

Duplicate.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Your boat will be fine! Keep in mind the videos/pics are usually of the best hardware to showcase the event but there are plenty of regular boats there also. When I did FPC runs my 32 Sunsation was definitely in the slowest 1/3 of the group. There have been boats that ran 100 MPH FASTER than my boat's top end but it doesn't matter at the end of the day!
Old 04-23-2018, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do it. You won't regret it. We started doing poker runs about 4 years ago with our 1998 36 Baja that tops out in the low 70s. We, by far, do not have the biggest, fastest or most expensive boat there but nobody cares. We have made some really great friends and look forward to it each year. We have done the Erie Poker Run which is put on by Elite. That one can get rough as the run is over lake Erie which can get very rough depending on the wind. We have also done the Ray Nuchereno Memorial Run, formally the Buffalo Poker Run. This one is nice for smaller boats as most of it is on the Niagara River. Even if Erie is rough, the river calms down. There have been Bajas and other makes like Velocity in the mid to upper 20 something size each year we've done this run. We also run in the 70 and under speed group. Like previously said, that group is normally the largest.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Given your location join West Michigan Offshore. I dont think it even costs a $100 and the runs are cheap, like real cheap.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Good topic. I was also wondering about tying off to someone else. Obviously if the boat is attended you ask first but what if it's not? Just throw your fenders over and tie up anyway? What happens to the poor SOB that is first in line and has to leave? I guess first there last to leave?
Old 04-23-2018, 09:02 AM
VP of the tickfaw200

Received 148 Likes on 60 Posts

Would say the speed of a boat is very irrelevant. There are some who like to say they were first to a stop. But what does that actually mean? Nothing! Most don’t actually pass out cards any more so you chance of getting a good card is the same as anyone at the end.

Next will be looking at how the run is set up. Is it speed group start? (Very Dangerous if you ask me. It promotes each one of those boats in the group to go all out to be the first.) Is it just a start time and go as you pleas? Are the car stops numbered and do you have to fallow the order? How long is it mileage wise and time to cover the miles?

Even taken all that into account being in the front makes no difference at all. We all know who’s fast and who’s not but does it really matter at the end of the day? As along as you have fun and make it back to the dock with no issues, wrecks, and alive it’s a win. We all love the fast stuff but a poker run is not the place to do that. Pick a run a go have fun. Most will treat you just like the big boys weather in a 20’ or a 50+’.

Last edited by caseyh; 04-23-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

typically with tying off during the runs, everybody kinda arrives together (especially in the same speed group) and leaves together. Therefore it is not much of a problem. It's easiest to tie along somebody you know but, if you know nobody, you can make friends pretty quick. General etiquette entails letting other runners tie off to you and you are not moving until everybody else is gone from your line. When tied to the outside, you just have to be respectful when crossing other peoples boats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.