Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Horrible experience  Chief engines, Precision Power Offshore >

Horrible experience Chief engines, Precision Power Offshore

Notices

Horrible experience Chief engines, Precision Power Offshore

Old 04-25-2018, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Being local to Precision Power I am surprised to hear this.
I have not any personal experience but have heard good things for many years.
Good luck getting things straightened out.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Hampton Blowers. I think Don Hampton was the first person to put a blower on a race motor. He is 83 and works 70 hours a week. What he did was reverse the drive side on the blower. So basically it looks like the cover on the front is up side down.That reverses the rotors. So when you run the engine backwards the rotors go forward. Call Don at 562-803-9484. He is in California.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Huh?
Old 04-25-2018, 05:01 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iamjoe
Huh?
Front cover is swapped from driven pulley and screw on right side to driven pulley on left side which swaps the installation of the screws inside, which with a reverse rotation engine would work as intended, I think.

Last edited by Wobble; 04-25-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Swamplizard
not trying to highjack thread but you have a counter-rotating blower? I too have arnesons, been trying to figure out how to add blowers to reverse rotation engine.
than don't hijack it and start you're own thread. Pretty rude
Old 04-29-2018, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
Did you let him do things the way he wanted or did he run into problems doing things the way you wanted??

If you gave him free reign, and he said he could do it, then I'd think it would be on him.

If he said he would try and do it within your constraints, that would be on you...

Am I correct in assuming the answer lies somewhere in the middle?

Originally Posted by Janet
Hmmm?? I took my engines to him and waited four days and He sent me to buy $1000 dollars of worthless distributors and your asking me if I was asking him to do it my way? If I was going to do it my way then I would not have gone to him. Strange question I guess I do not understand. The problem is that he does not know the Holley EFI. It's over his head. All he could do is search the internet, google, search forums, and call people. The engines run it's a problem with the timing. I told him that before I took it there and he said he could fix that. Guess not.

So you made your own harnesses and pieced a bunch of stuff together then took it to him and said "make it work" Then specified a certain timing advance and afr without seeing what the engine wanted.... If he was dealing with your creativity vs a complete system designed to work together, there is our somewhere inbetween.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:39 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jwws9999
than don't hijack it and start you're own thread. Pretty rude
Not a hijack since OP is running a reverse rotation blower. Pertinent question IMHO
Old 04-29-2018, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Let me start by saying Ben/Precision Power built me a pair of single 4 barrel 725's maybe 7-8 years ago. . I did have a problem with one motor when a internal part did some damage. The manufacturer replaced the part, but Ben had to do the replacement of it. Was he happy, heck no but he took both motors out & installed my 575's while he took care of it so i could still run the boat. Had the one repaired in a couple weeks or so & swamped them back out again. I ran those motors i think 3 years. They were awesome motors. Since then i have a pair of Chief Precision Power 1000's detuned to 910hp. Going on my 4th year with them. They run and idle fantastic, oil is crystal clear each oil change. Over the years he has maintained the 46 Skater Ruthless, Wickedone in it's later life after Jim owned it, which had one counter rotation motor at the that time & still does maintain it , Parnell's 41 Saber, Check 300's 28' Check with a 1400 ish twin turbo with one heck of a hi tech fuel injection system & his current 43' Check just to mention a few. I stop by Ben's stop 1-2 time per month to see what he is working on or watch him dyno / tune a motor. A couple names mentioned about doing fuel injections have sent work to Ben. I have seen him scratch his head a time or two & he always figures it out. So i guess were i'm going with all this rambling is why would you bring your motors to Ben & hang out there for 3 or 4 day while he is doing his thing? Why not just leave them with him & let him get them right? Then call you to get them when finished. Seeing some of the motors he works on both his Chief / Precision Power built & customer repairs. I don't think a Holly fuel injection system is going to pull the wool over his eyes. Just my 2 cents for what it is worth.

Todd

Last edited by baronmarine; 04-29-2018 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:56 AM
CNC
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Ditto... I have used Ben for over ten years, I like to do things myself but just do not have time for the bigger projects Ben is the "ONLY" one I trust, he earned it. Ben did a great job setting up my MEFI EFI. I stop by at least once a week just to see what kind of cool stuff he's working on, I have always seen him treat customers fairly.....

Over ten years says it all, I don't *****...just walk on
Randy

Last edited by CNC; 04-30-2018 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

So what did Steve Morris do to fix it? Saw this sh!t show on Facebook

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.