Coast Guard Documentation vs. Titling a Vessel

Old 05-04-2018, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 465 Likes on 361 Posts

Maybe, will call the CG today
Old 05-04-2018, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 327 Posts

I was forced to document in order to get a bank loan. Somehow I went from December 1998 until March 2018 and never received any communication/notices from the USCG. During that twenty year period I never paid any annual fees, nothing. The boat was register but not titled in Michigan and sales tax and registration fees were paid as required.

In March this year I sold the boat and after talking with the USCG documentation center was only required to complete this form https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/D...-09-113141-317. There was no requirement to make up any previous fees or penalties or do any additional paperwork.
ed
Old 05-04-2018, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 1,310 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
I was forced to document in order to get a bank loan. Somehow I went from December 1998 until March 2018 and never received any communication/notices from the USCG. During that twenty year period I never paid any annual fees, nothing. The boat was register but not titled in Michigan and sales tax and registration fees were paid as required.

In March this year I sold the boat and after talking with the USCG documentation center was only required to complete this form https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/D...-09-113141-317. There was no requirement to make up any previous fees or penalties or do any additional paperwork.
ed
Wow that is crazy, the document you got is the exact one I used when buying mine. Really was a easy process even when I forgot to renew once. They have always been very helpful.

Oh and I always get something in the mail reminding me to renew.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:21 PM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor

ed
I am happy to hear you had no problems with selling your boat. For many years, the Coast Guard didn't charge a fee for renewal, so that is probably why you hadn't seen any paperwork from them in a while. They did start charging a few years ago, and if your address was current with the Coast Guard, you should have been receiving the renewal notices. Obviously, you were a good boater and were never questioned on proof of ownership with your Certificate being expired. Transfer of ownership on a documented boat can be performed with an expired Certificate of Documentation. I'm glad it all worked out for you!
573-342-3400
Old 05-18-2018, 12:00 PM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Default Renewal of Lost Certificate of Documentation

Tip of the Day...If a Certificate of Documentation has been lost, an application for replacement will be in order. If the lost document has expired, it will be necessary to apply for an exchange which is basically starting the process over to receive a Certificate of Documentation.
573-342-3400
Old 05-22-2018, 04:07 PM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Tip for the day....if your boat is documented, be sure to keep the original Certificate of Documentation in your boat and suggest keeping a copy of it at home in the event you lose it or need to reference it in the future.
573-342-3400
Old 06-08-2018, 03:40 PM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

The More you Know…today’s subject is about one of the simplest things you can do when purchasing a boat. You will probably chuckle, but truly it is a simple thing to do and can save you time, energy and frustration!
Take a picture of the hull number on the boat and compare it to all the paperwork on the boat. Confirm all the numbers MATCH. You ask “why”? Keep reading… Our office encountered a file where a buyer purchased a titled boat from a boat dealership and wanted to Coast Guard Document the boat. The dealership provided all the sales paperwork, i.e. Bill of Sale, Registration, etc. and it ALL matched. The hull number was checked with the Coast Guard and found the boat had not been documented. The proper paperwork was completed and submitted to the Coast Guard for documentation thus starting the approximate three month waiting period. A few weeks later, while the buyer was detailing the boat for the first time, he noticed a number in the engine compartment. It was obscure, but nonetheless, it was a number. The buyer took a picture of the number and sent it to our office. We identified it as an Official Number given by the Coast Guard so we ordered an Abstract of Title. We found out the Official Number was assigned to a similar hull number but it did not match exactly to the hull number on the paperwork. Our guess is that somewhere along the way, the State issuing the title inadvertently switched a couple of the numbers. And to make matters more complicated, there was an outstanding lien against the boat. We were able to locate the previous lender, who by the way was bought out by a larger lender thereby making it more challenging to find the original loan documents, and we’re able to secure a Satisfaction of Mortgage and submit to the Coast Guard along with a corrected application. In doing so, the documentation process was delayed because the clock starts over with new paperwork. So, the simplest of things CAN save you a lot of headaches! Our office is here to help you work through the simple processes as well as the complicated ones. Before purchasing a boat from a dealership, be sure to check us out...we will likely save you money and will make sure it is done correctly. We appreciate the business!
573-342-3400
Old 06-25-2018, 03:58 PM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Are you looking to purchase a boat and have questions whether to coast guard document or title it? Give our office a call so you are knowledgeable before making that big purchase! We are independent from boat dealerships and brokers so if you are looking at coast guard documentation, we believe we can save you money. We are here to help you through the boat purchase process. Call us, email us or send us a pm!
573-342-3400
Old 08-06-2018, 08:07 AM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Today, we are going to compare IO/stern drives vs Outboard motor equipped boats. When Coast Guard documenting a boat, the type of drive is of no concern as the size of boat is what qualifies a boat for documentation. However, when it comes to registering a boat, one needs to take into consideration how the type of motor is treated when paying sales tax. With the popularity of Center Consoles and newer outboard setups, this will be a cost to take into consideration when purchasing a boat.

IO/stern drives are manufactured into the boat, so universally they are considered a single entity within a hull. Outboards are unique in that they are “attached” to the boat, thus completely separate entities. Some states require each motor to be titled and registered in addition to the boat. In most purchases, the tax difference when documenting will still justify the savings in sales tax compared to titling, but keep in mind there will be additional steps required. Again, this will be state specific. On an outboard boat that requires each motor be titled, regardless if it is a new or used boat, you will need to subtract the “value” of the motor(s) from the purchase price of the boat package. This value will have a separate sales tax imposed by the state, depending on where you live, and will have a separate titling fee for each motor. Deciding on a value will be based on what you tell them. However, they have the NADA book that everyone else uses, so by placing a value that is out of sorts it will raise a red flag. In conclusion, you will have the documented or titled hull along with individual titles for each motor.

IO/stern drive boats are straight forward; it is viewed as one unit.

Marine Vessel Documentation Service assists with both documentation and titling. We will help you navigate the costs and help you decide which application will work best for you. Feel free to contact us. We are here to help.
573-342-3400

Last edited by mvdservice; 08-06-2018 at 08:35 AM.