Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
400SS diesel estimated repair/maintenance costs? >

400SS diesel estimated repair/maintenance costs?

Notices

400SS diesel estimated repair/maintenance costs?

Old 05-01-2018, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Ping SLOWRIDE-388 on here. He had one on LOTO for a couple years and I'm sure could provide some insight.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by t500hps
This list is the surveyors report and I've been on/driven the boat. The steering leak wasn't obvious at the time. The pulley squeal is really just that.....and found the owner recently replaced the same pulley of the other motor. There was water in the bilge.....now we know where it was coming from (surveyor took a closeup pic while underway showing the water leak). Engines ran great, IR temp gun confirmed both running exactly the same and I'll get oil/fluid sample results back tomorrow. This is a freshwater only boat being sold by the original owner. It was regularly used/kept up for the first few years.....then they bought a house on the ocean and spend all their time there so that boat has very little use the last 3 years. He had a problem with muskrats or something getting on the boat and I fear the electrical problems could be chewed wires.
I had a friend with a boat down the dock that muskrats got into the engine room. It was a brand new 56 Carver. The damage was over 200k and he worked a deal to have insurance take the boat, and payed him out. My guess is that boat will always have electrical gremlins that could be a nightmare to sort out.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So did you buy the boat?? Was it everything you dreamed of? Or a nightmare?
Old 06-30-2021, 08:46 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeygfly
So did you buy the boat?? Was it everything you dreamed of? Or a nightmare?
I did not buy that boat and ended up with a 2009 out of the north-east. Everything seemed great for about 30 hours.....Turns out the engines had exhaust leaks and the previous owner used 5,200 to seal up the EXTERNAL leaks which let seawater run into the cylinders for awhile til I started chasing other problems. In the end we could have fixed everything however I decided to do a complete re-power to save myself future headaches. Absolutely love the boat however that bill was WAY more than I had planned on spending!!!
The following users liked this post:
Perfect Storm (07-01-2021)