Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Yellow bottom.  Tricks for keeping clean? >

Yellow bottom. Tricks for keeping clean?

Notices

Yellow bottom. Tricks for keeping clean?

Old 06-11-2018, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellow bottom. Tricks for keeping clean?

So my boat spends most of it's life on the trailer. Very rarely will i leave it in overnight. The harbors around here don't have the prettiest water. Brackish dirty in most spots. I've always used on off hull cleaner to get the yellow stains off which often will appear after a day of boating not even leaving it in. I have tried waxing it etc etc and it still will yellow. I will never bottom paint so it's not an option I just didn't know if anyone knows of anything to put on the bottom to prevent this. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

KM,

You probably have the original gel coat on the bottom which tends to be porous and thus the staining. I had the bottom of my boat painted white, the same as they would do on the deck. That was the end of my problems.

RC
Old 06-11-2018, 07:45 PM
Registered

Good idea thanks. I had thought of clear coating it
Old 06-11-2018, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 3,018 Likes on 987 Posts

Look no further. Stuff is like magic. Wipe on with a cloth, spray off with hose. No rubbing or scrubbing, instant white. AWESOME stuff.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Go to Lowe’s and get some Iron Out. Make up a solution in a garden sprayer. Spray on and hose off. It is easy and very cheap. I’ve used this for years. Nothing better.

3pointstar
Old 06-11-2018, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Clean it with something like the above or the works toilet bowl cleaner. Then put some good wax on it .
Old 06-12-2018, 08:32 AM
Registered

Star Brite hull cleaner works pretty good too. Spray on , let it sit for a couple , hose off. Wal mart usually has it , a little cheaper than purchasing it at a west marine or similar place.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

I have tried some different products that promise to prevent growth and filth on the bottom of the boat without painting. Unfortunately nothing works very well. I keep my boat in a slip for the season but refuse to bottom paint so I pull it every few weeks and clean it with On/Off. I have a ramp right in my marina so I pull it and drive over to the hose station in the parking lot. Then just dump it back in. No biggie really.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:28 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

After 30 years of good success with labeled bottom cleaners I turned to much cheaper muriatic acid that you can get from Home Depot or local hardware store for mega cheap. I use a cheap garden sprayer to apply too.

Like other bottom cleaners be careful breathing it in. it hurts. Spray away from breeze. Again, cheap garden sprayer makes this better and easier.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
Look no further. Stuff is like magic. Wipe on with a cloth, spray off with hose. No rubbing or scrubbing, instant white. AWESOME stuff.

This stuff is miraculous, almost magic to watch it work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.