Going to Sport Catamaran Heaven >

Going to Sport Catamaran Heaven

Notices

Going to Sport Catamaran Heaven

Old 06-19-2018, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Matt.
You read well between the lines. I’m dual Canadian/USA so I understand the bravado.
It would be cool though if these events did become a true taste of what is out there in the entire world. Much like the Miami Yatch Show or to a degree Frankfurt Autoshow.
And I we could argue convincingly that these are the badest cats in the world. But sourced in USA. And if anyone objects, bring your stuff and prove you’re better.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would like to see Mercury on hand to check ECMs. We have already seen Fountain hide the truth regarding their boat.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Better yet let them hand them out like NASCAR and restrict or plates!!!!! LOL!!!!
For me the weight is the most important number.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:55 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,814 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Given that everyone involved on the test team is familiar with the operating range of Verado 400R engines—and that there should be a Mercury Racing presence on site—I'm not concerned about any builder trying to gain an advantage through ECM modification. Double Rigged's post does bring up an interesting point: Lake of the Ozarks conditions on test day could well limit top speeds, so of course will report top speeds within the context of those conditions. (We'll also start the top-speed testing portion of the day as early as possible. That should help.)

While Powerboat magazine's testing program was far from perfect, the four of us who were extensively involved in it (Teague, Tomlinson, Johnson and me) learned a lot from it. We'll try to bring the very best of it to this roundup.
Sounds like a great event that you guys put together. Can't wait to see the results.
I wouldn't be too concerned with rough water until at least after noon.
Probably best off to make the high speed runs closer to the dam as there will be even less boat traffic that direction.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:55 AM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
Better yet let them hand them out like NASCAR and restrict or plates!!!!! LOL!!!!
For me the weight is the most important number.

Agree - I'm surprised no one organizing has considered St. Louis Scale co. or Hammel for a portable set of scales - weigh boat and trailer before splash and then just the trailer..... closer than a guesstimate and real time data for drawing conclusions.

Perfect opportunity for ALOT of exposure to whoever built the hot ECM Fountain ran....if boats run stock then hot box would be quite the article although there could be interesting conversations with the Merc hauler there and swapping ECM's
Old 06-20-2018, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by speicher lane
Agree - I'm surprised no one organizing has considered St. Louis Scale co. or Hammel for a portable set of scales - weigh boat and trailer before splash and then just the trailer..... closer than a guesstimate and real time data for drawing conclusions.

Perfect opportunity for ALOT of exposure to whoever built the hot ECM Fountain ran....if boats run stock then hot box would be quite the article although there could be interesting conversations with the Merc hauler there and swapping ECM's
I agree, No secret sauce in making most of these cats run. Need HP vs Weight. I bet that Fountain stock would run around 120mph. To reach 130mph it would require a pretty good bump in HP. More than 25-50 per side.
I would also bet Mercury knows and has their own version of a tune as evident with the 340x MTI last year that jumped the same 10+mph from one run to the other with the ROS motors. Who knows they may tune all the boats to provide a great showing for their motors.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:13 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,224 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyMoney
I would like to see Mercury on hand to check ECMs. We have already seen Fountain hide the truth regarding their boat.
While we will have Mercury Racing representation on hand, it's worth noting that each of our test drivers is a certified Mercury Racing dealer who is quite familiar with the operating parameters/range of the stock Verado 400R outboard engine. In that context, with those eyeballs so to speak, I don't see any builder trying to gain an advantage with a modified ECM, particularly in such a public and "formal" setting. While this may not be the answer everyone is looking for, we'll most likely let the manufacturers supply boat weights.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 06-20-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyMoney
Did Fountain hide the truth? I thought they came out and said the ECMs were modded right away, no?
Old 06-21-2018, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 68 Likes on 24 Posts

This sounds fantastic. If all works out properly, and Skater gets Dales boat done, we will be there to check it out.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:26 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Totally read the headline and first line of text as Mercury 400R going to Sport Cat heaven...which in reality probably isn't a too distant future. I would guess by this time next year, we'll be seeing or at least hearing about the SC version of the new 300R V8. Hope to see some new gear ratio options in the very near future so we can at least see how the 300R stacks up against the 400R with more than a 100 lbs of weight savings per motor.