Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Which power for Searay 28 Sundancer? >

Which power for Searay 28 Sundancer?

Notices

Which power for Searay 28 Sundancer?

Old 10-24-2002, 08:40 AM
Sleekster

Cool Which power for Searay 28 Sundancer?

A friend asked me about which power to get in his new 28 Sundancer.

He looked at the 26 and 28 footers....the 26 is a little too limited and he has a 25 footer now.

He boats on the Chesapeake Bay and likes to ski. The 28footer can have either a 496 Mag or twin 5.0 Bravo III's. Which would you suggest. I'm out of the loop on this one. I have a strap-on on my Sleekcraft, so I appeal to the knowledge here. He can test ride the 28 with the 496 this weekend.

The factory says 45-49 mph with twins and 41-45 with a single. What is the real world speed? He'd like to get close to 50, but that's not as important as how it would be to ski behind. My openbow 22'3" Sleekcraft is a much better ski-mobile, but we haven't been able to hook-up that often.

Money is not the issue. Nice, huh? Given that, why not do twins?

Is there a major difference with fresh water cooled over not? He is not a high hour user,, maybe 5-7 weekends a season.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 10-24-2002, 08:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

On a boat that size, 28', 9'5" beam, 8500# dry, I would definately want twins for maneuverability, planing speed and cruise.
Old 10-24-2002, 09:07 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Twins...with the high profile of the boat along with its length, twins will be nice around the docks. If he's out cruising, the added security of another engine will be a positive. Down side is extra maintenance and things to go wrong. I have enough trouble with my single 28' around the docks and it's a low profile compared to that boat. On a windy day, that Sea Ray will act like a big wind catcher and it'll be hard to dock with a single.
Old 10-24-2002, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd definitely go with twins. . He'll thank you when he's got 8 people, coolers, duffel bags, assorted other crap, etc., and is still able to get on plane in less than 10 minutes.

All things being equal, more power is always better. As they say, better to have the power and not use it, than to need it and not have it
Old 10-24-2002, 10:05 AM
1Malibu

I work at a dealership that sells SeaRays. If the budget can hold it, go with twin 5.0 Bravo 3's. One of our customer's has that boat with the single 496 and is disappointed that he didn't go for the upgrade...especially when the whole family is aboard for the weekend. Realistic top speed with twins will be in the low to mid 40's. Keep in mind dry weight is 8500lbs plus fuel, water, gear, and optional generator. Cruising rpm/gph for the 5.0 MPI is 3500/10.9 per engine. The 496 HO is 3500/18.5. To me it would be worth it because it is always nice to have a faster curising speed and extra power when loaded. Plus, a single engine in that size of boat kills resale value...at least here in Wisconsin on the Mississippi River.

Old 10-24-2002, 10:36 AM
Registered

Looks like your friend is going to have twins.

I looked at the same boat and decided that twins were a must for manueverability -- not to mention all the other great points people have already made with reference to security, power, speed, etc.

I would, however, question the likelyhood of water-skiing behind a 28+ foot cruiser. What kind of wake and planing speed could you expect?
Old 10-24-2002, 10:36 AM
Registered

Deffinately 305 injected with Bravo 3's or at least 305 w/Alphas.
The 29 Regal we have for sale has the 305's in it and out performs the Sea Ray hands down. He might want to take a look at the Regal!
Old 10-24-2002, 11:37 AM
wms

I'm with you seanclong.....skiing behind a 28' Sea Ray. You have got to be kidding! I water skied most of my life, even did some competition slalom. If skiing is a priority, I would definitely recommend a smaller, lighter boat that is quicker out of the hole and pulls less wake. If your buddy is dead set on a cruiser, then the twin bravo 3's is a must 'cause the single will be a major ***** to get up behind.....if at all!

Better yet, get the cruiser and a small go fast for skiing.

Old 10-24-2002, 07:37 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh Oh Oh I can answer this one!!!! Twins are the only way to go. But he will not be able to ski behind it even if it has 3 motors. It will still be slow to plane and have a huge, bumpy trough. But it will pull tubes and stuff so he could do that. Freshwater cooling is a very valuable option on the Bay-brackish water seems to be harder on the engines than straight salt water. He might see mid 40's light, but it seems like the boat is never light once you get it
Old 10-24-2002, 08:20 PM
Registered

a different but experienced idea: go with volvo penta diesels with their duoprop drives..
35-40 mph FOREVER!!!

don t forget it reaily goes FOREVER!!!

Quick Reply: Which power for Searay 28 Sundancer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.