Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Digital video recorders and mpeg movies (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/35496-digital-video-recorders-mpeg-movies.html)

29scarab 10-24-2002 10:17 AM

Digital video recorders and mpeg movies

Shopping for a digital video recorder that I can EASILY load on to a computer.

I know they make a bunch of them, but who has make the best user friendly and best price out there.

Battery life , memory capabilities are a factor. I know that is also associated with cost.

Some help from you guys would be appreciated!!

Thanks!!

I know we touched on cameras one time, but I'm not sure about this.

:D :D

Bam Bam 10-24-2002 10:39 AM

I have a JVC MiniDV. I looked at the Sony and the Hitachi, but the JVC had a lot of the same features for a better price which was $990CDN. Here is a link of the model that I have

http://www.jvc.ca/en/consumer/produc...del=GR-DVL520U

My only complaint is the battery that comes with the camera does not last very long and I ended up having to buy another battery.

I use the ADS Pyro Digital Video Firewire card to capture the video into the PC.

I am pleased with both products and would recommend them for people who are looking to do basic, amateur video.

SpectreBoy 10-24-2002 02:12 PM

Best Cam?

29 Scarab, you say best cam and best price, totally two different areas, but I have the Sony TRV 20, which use to be the top of the line for them, but now they've made it a TRV30? maybe,,,but the only difference is that the new one also makes the mini MPEG movies. I just like Sony stuff because their memory sticks will work in all their products, printers,computers,cameras,video cameras, easy to change from one product to the other so you don't have to buy a million different products to get your stuff to work. With the Sony Memory Stick, if you also buy the memory stick reader, you just take it out of your cam, and into the reader, click on it to open, then cut and paste your movies or pics into a folder, just too darn easy, I've never upgraded cause I have a program that thu a fire wire set up takes my video straight outta the cam and makes and edits movies for me, pretty cool once u get the hang of it, you can put in titles, music, transitions and all sorts of cool stuff, glad I got my 2 cents worth in early, cause opinions are like butt holes everyone has one and their all different, just whatever you buy take your time and read the book with the cam in hand so you can try what their explaning as you read it, and get use to doing it along the way, have fun and take lots of topless pics of your gf or wife to share with us pervs, LOL, see ya Mark

Dueclaws 10-24-2002 03:02 PM

Spectre-
You wrote: "a program that thu a fire wire set up takes my video straight outta the cam and makes and edits movies". Which software are you using and is it compatable with Panasonic?
Thanks

SpectreBoy 10-24-2002 03:10 PM

software

I use Pryo Digital Video, and if you have a fire wire hook up it will work with any camera. see ya Mark

Jayl13 10-24-2002 03:19 PM

I got my video camera free from Zones.com
They sent it out as a promo or whatever.
it is a cannon.
For free, you cant beat it with a stick
Then I bought this thing
DAZZLE digital video creator 80
it is USB on one end and the RCA's on the other end, has left, right audio input and a video input
you can capture (comes with all software) from DVD, VHF, cam corders or anything really.
cost 50 bucks (also from zones)
Only problem is it makes AVI's only
so what I did was got a free piece of software from the net that converts AVI files to MPG files
works fast, easy and no problems
I can take a 800 Meg avi file and convert it into an MPG or MPEG file in about 3 minutes and it comes out to about 10% to 15% of the avi file size.
Works great, maybe an extra step but beats a expensive firewire port anyday.
ONLY OS that wont support USB is WINDOWS NT 4.0
so if your running 95-98-2000 or xp then your golden

Hope that helps
and BTW most user friendly thing in the world cause it has nothing to do with anything from the camera, just hit play and the software from DAZZLE does the rest
you have big buttons to capture audio, video or both or stills
simply rocks, very versatile
Good luck

Jason

TulsaLarry 10-24-2002 03:24 PM

The "fire wire" hook-up is they key. I have a JVC mini cam digital camera but my new computer does not accept the fire wire so I have to use my daughters Sony to do my down loads and editing. Check to see if your computer will accept the fire wire, if not there is software available but it is not cheap.