Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Looking for ways to include people in our hobby (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/355152-looking-ways-include-people-our-hobby.html)

hblair 07-06-2018 11:01 AM

Looking for ways to include people in our hobby

isn't always easy. This younger generation is not all wusses. I've gotta hand it to them. My son Dylan and my brothers son-in-law Heath layed it on the line on the 4th. My boats not 100% but I wouldn't have done it lol...

Indy 07-06-2018 12:04 PM

No, not all are wusses, but it's trending that way big time.

Semper Fi 07-06-2018 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Indy (Post 4636076)
No, not all are wusses, but it's trending that way big time.

DITTO, the younger generations today are 90% useless, they are spoiled and non-appreciative!!!

seafordguy 07-06-2018 09:44 PM

If I was more computer literate I'd show you videos of my 4&6 year old water skiing the last two weekends. I'm doing my part to keep the next generation interested. They are both driving the boat and even docking the jet ski on the lift by themselves. 6 year old is upset he's only been able to see 52 mph on the ski.....

I tell them once a week - Life is one long horsepower war - We may not be winning but we're at least on the lead lap.

wwahl 07-06-2018 11:42 PM

From where I sit on Lake Washington there is a huge amount of youth participation in water sports. Have the faith as they are tired of their smart phones.

hblair 07-07-2018 09:50 AM

I think every generation is let down by the next generation. It’s like an American tradition lol. Can you imagine what the World War II vets thought of their next generation?? the protesters, hippies, and flower children?

SB 07-07-2018 10:05 AM

omg is boating by young one's resurged around here. at one of our hang out spots the other day, there must have been 30+ boats with just teens in them....and 60+ boats with young to mid 20 yr olds in them.

great to see !

=======================

BTW: I cannot wait until they get sick of wake surfing. Those big waves absolutely suck...especially when you have a smaller boat. LOL.

Padraig 07-07-2018 12:45 PM

At my local on the Water restaurant and bar I am not seeing more young people but we are seeing more women driving boats and water lice.

Padraig

Speedracer29 07-07-2018 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by SB (Post 4636197)

=======================

BTW: I cannot wait until they get sick of wake surfing. Those big waves absolutely suck...especially when you have a smaller boat. LOL.

Agreed. I’ve been dropping the K-planes and plowing when I have to go around them on the lake. Good for the goose, good for the gander.

Riley0114 07-09-2018 08:41 PM

I'm 21 I currently own 25 baja outlaw that I everything from back bench up, new motor, wiring, transom, transom assy, etc. I also am the sole care taker and secondary driver of a 42 cig. Used to be the sole caretaker and sole driver of a 36 outlaw until that owner decided she didnt want a boat. I also work for Eglin doing marine operations. Oh and I also did 1.5 years racing OPA with Chris Reindl. So we arent all bad!