Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Boat Value: Used Powerplay's (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/355171-boat-value-used-powerplays.html)

Semper Fi 07-07-2018 03:20 PM

Boat Value: Used Powerplay's

Hey guys,

I'm interested in buying another 28' or 33' Powerplay in the near future. They are truly my absolute favorite boat! I'm curious about the members here HONEST opinions about value of Powerplay's ONLY, and let's just exclude the old saying it's worth what someone will pay for it. This thread is NOT to offend anyone, but get some honest opinions from you guys. I'm asking because the prices out there are all over the place. WHEN YOU GIVE YOUR OPINION, PLEASE STATE IF YOU HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE BEING IN OR OWNING A POWERPLAY. - AND WHAT YOU OWNED.

To me the 33' is the BEST looking powerboat ever made....PERIOD!!! (my opinion) and of course if you've been in one you know they are built rock solid and have a superior ride compared to majority of other boats of it's size and class. Yes, a lot of "other" boats are faster than a PP, but top speed is not a factor when your normal boating is in slop or rough water, which Popwerplay's do their best work! I'm strictly talking 28' and 33' I/O (not looking for a outboard or center console) To me and most people, boats with Mercury Racing engine(s) bring more value because you know what you have.

There's a couple of boats for sale that are really nice Powerplay's but MY OPINION is that they are NOT realistic of the actual value what todays market someone will actually pay for a boat. Here's a couple of examples of nice PP's, but to me pricing is absurd....especially when you can also find older Cigarettes in the $65K-$85K range that may not be "fast" but are absolute wave crushers.

33 Powerplay (super clean, but Merc 496's) - asking $99,000
LINK: https://www.offshoreonly.com/classif...16-o72346.html

28 Powerplay - (looks clean, but NOT Mercury power) - asking $95,000
LINK: 1998 Powerplay powerboat for sale in Florida

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I think these are more "in line" with todays "real world" prices
http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/30279
http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/28035

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Indy 07-07-2018 03:59 PM

Both are too high Semper, I think you know my background.

MGD had a SWEET 28 with 350's recently refreshed for $40,000 with a trailer. That was a sweet deal and those guys always seem to get PP's and go over them before they sell. Might even want to give them a call and see if they have a line on picking up another one. Although I haven't been in it, a 28 with BB's seems to be a lot for that hull. How the heck would you even work on 'em?

The 33 here in Bridgeport just seems out of the ballpark even though it's been gone over and looks sweet. Don't scoff at the 496's, they start every time, run great, need little maintenance, available parts, and would be nice power for the hull...nothing crazy but you'd spend your time on the water and not in the shop. I had a 496 in my Nordic and loved it. Not blingy but I ran the heck out of it.

Maybe check the PP forum, I seem to remember AJ selling his 2003 (?) in the 70's, don't hold me to it but do a little research. I'd much rather have his old PP than the one in Bridgeport.

Semper Fi 07-07-2018 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Indy (Post 4636232)
Both are too high Semper, I think you know my background.

MGD had a SWEET 28 with 350's recently refreshed for $40,000 with a trailer. That was a sweet deal and those guys always seem to get PP's and go over them before they sell. Might even want to give them a call and see if they have a line on picking up another one. Although I haven't been in it, a 28 with BB's seems to be a lot for that hull. How the heck would you even work on 'em?

The 33 here in Bridgeport just seems out of the ballpark even though it's been gone over and looks sweet. Don't scoff at the 496's, they start every time, run great, need little maintenance, available parts, and would be nice power for the hull...nothing crazy but you'd spend your time on the water and not in the shop. I had a 496 in my Nordic and loved it. Not blingy but I ran the heck out of it.

Maybe check the PP forum, I seem to remember AJ selling his 2003 (?) in the 70's, don't hold me to it but do a little research. I'd much rather have his old PP than the one in Bridgeport.

Thanks for the reply Indy...and I know your also a PP owner/ fan!! I'm not "scoffing" at the 496's, but the price of the boat with them. For $99,000, I'd honestly espect like Merc 700's in that boat!!!

Cash Bar 07-07-2018 04:14 PM

Didn't they deepen the cockpit/gunnel height in 1996 mid-year. I was told to always look for a 1996.5 or newer for that reason. That complete redo at like $70k would be a great boat for a lot of future years of use.

Semper Fi 07-07-2018 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Cash Bar (Post 4636236)
Didn't they deepen the cockpit/gunnel height in 1996 mid-year. I was told to always look for a 1996.5 or newer for that reason. That complete redo at like $70k would be a great boat for a lot of future years of use.

Cash - YES, I believe it was 1996, my last boat (33 Race "Sylvester") was a 1997 and had the extra freeboard. You can always tell because the earlier models the exhaust is above the rubrail, (above the swimstep) the ones like mine exhaust went through the transom

Semper Fi 07-07-2018 05:05 PM

what boat is that you are talking about? Im not familiar with it.- thanks

Indy 07-07-2018 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Semper Fi (Post 4636243)
what boat is that you are talking about? Im not familiar with it.- thanks

Here's his thread:
https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/...-new-33-a.html

Classic vid of his PP in the rough, most boats turned around:

Indy 07-07-2018 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Cash Bar (Post 4636236)

Here you go Cash, part of a PM conversation with an OSO member who worked at PP:

the year was 1994. All the '94's & up have a 4 3/4" deeper hull. We "popped" our own hull & perfected the basics. The old hull was not symetrical at all. Either was the deck for that matter. The lifting strakes & bottom were like the "Pipeline" in Hawaii. The transom had a 16 degree transom angle, where 12-13 degrees is normal. The hull-side knuckle line was raised. Every surface was trued. Then Dan decided to retool the entire SportDeck mold, simply to lower the cockpit sole 1 1/2" to partially take advantage of the increased hull depth. The hull stringers & bulkhead transverses were then raised to meet the bottom of the new deck. This would be the next best reason to purchase a 1994 & up 33' PP SportDeck. The cream of the crop would be a 1997 & up 33' though. The reason for this is...This is when the low-water pickup Bravo drives started coming out, which is what we installed on every 33' Sport, beginning that year. This allowed us the highest X-demension ever, at 18 1/2"(only limited by the rubrail getting in the way). The highest X-demension prior to this time, with the standard Bravo l, was 17 1/4" & over-heat & prop slippage at this level was an issue. The new low-water pick-up Bravo, along with the new Bravo One four-blade, gave the standard full cabin 33' SD a top speed of 85 + m.p.h. with regular 502 Magnums. A couple were knocking on 90! Previously powered 502 boats did 78-80 m.p.h. This was an amazing increase in performance. Then, of course, you have the new(at the time) HP 500 EFI packages. These did 88-90 with the standard XR Bravo One drive.

AJ POWERPLAY 07-07-2018 10:39 PM

Mine didn't go in the 70s, but was updated with new nav, gauges, throttles, and 525EFIs.
I believe the boats in excellent condition are probably worth 70-90k depending on power and options, but would have to be the newer 33s with quality paint and nice original interior (or redone by a quality reputable interior place, not Johnny's Downtown Upholstery Shop.

Semper the links you provided of the cheaper boats were the 1st gen hull with non-merc power. The postings were also four years old. There are a couple 33s that would be on my radar if I were to get another, but I'd likely just try to buy my old one back. There is a lot to be said for freshwater use and there just aren't really many out there.

Semper Fi 07-08-2018 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by AJ POWERPLAY (Post 4636273)
Semper the links you provided of the cheaper boats were the 1st gen hull with non-merc power. The postings were also four years old. There are a couple 33s that would be on my radar if I were to get another, but I'd likely just try to buy my old one back. There is a lot to be said for freshwater use and there just aren't really many out there.

I didnt realize the ads were older. You bring up a good point, newer boat (more freeboard) and Merc motors will absolutely bring up the value.....but whats really the "market" for a 1997 and newer PP with Merc motors??? THIS is the question! Im guessing in the $45K - $75K range would be typical in good condition, covers and on a good trailer? The other question....since these boats are 20 yrs old now (crazy, some look almost new still) is this mostly for all cash buyers as well? I think it would be difficult to get a loan on a 20 yr old boat.