Sunglasses & Boating, Some Observations >

Sunglasses & Boating, Some Observations

Notices

Sunglasses & Boating, Some Observations

Old 07-09-2018, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 606 Likes on 275 Posts
Default Sunglasses & Boating, Some Observations

I love polarizing sunglasses but they make it difficult to read the water/waves going in certain directions. Now I'm thinking about switching to non-polarizing glasses.
A lens that is darker at the top and lighter at the bottom makes it easier to see the chartplotter while darkening the bright sun.
With a low windscreen that puts wind in your face wrap-around glasses put wind directly into my eyes while a flat lens like RayBans block the wind.
I have sunglasses on the bottom of Lakes Huron and Erie!

Any thoughts?
Old 07-09-2018, 08:08 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have about twenty pairs of varying styles and type, Unfortunately they are at the bottom of Galveston Bay. I still prefer polarized when I can keep them.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:34 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 851 Likes on 312 Posts

Some screens are also hard to see with polarizing lenses.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
I love polarizing sunglasses but they make it difficult to read the water/waves going in certain directions.

Any thoughts?
I stopped wearing polarized lenses when driving the boat years ago for that exact reason, plus they screw up reading screens many times. A good non polarized pair works much better for reading the water. I've also found amber lenses seem to work well. I've also read that pilots prefer non polarized lenses for similar reasons.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 431 Likes on 192 Posts

polarized Costas always work for me. If you go with the blue lenses glass (580) for salt water fishing, it helps to read the water. Fitment is your biggest issue, "wrap around" style glasses I have noticed are sensitive to wind pulling them off your face. Out of three different Costa models, I've noticed that some are better than others, but extremely dependent upon your facial features. Some stay planted, some float around. Never tried flat "raybans"
Old 07-09-2018, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 742 Likes on 400 Posts

I've had great luck with Maui Jim. Polarized all the way. Bronze lens color. Read the water and most screens just fine.

https://www.mauijim.com/US/en_US/sho.../wrap/kipahulu
Old 07-09-2018, 10:23 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
I've had great luck with Maui Jim. Polarized all the way. Bronze lens color. Read the water and most screens just fine.

https://www.mauijim.com/US/en_US/sho.../wrap/kipahulu
Bronze works better for me and my older eyes.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a look at Dillon optics if you can find a local place that sells them. Made by the same folks that make reloading equipment I believe.
Ive had mine for about a year and the sight picture is incredible.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:21 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Polarized glasses are but another great side invention of the early space programme. I wouldn't set foot outside without them , much less go on the water not wearing them . But I know they interfere with reading screens of electronics but they in no way impair my ability to read the water . Only makes it better actually , but to each his own.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 339 Likes on 118 Posts

I have worn Solar Shield Fits-over for years when driving any of my fast boats. I can see great out of them and they totally block any wind from the eyes. They go right over my prescription glasses. I also have prescription sunglasses but the wind goes right around them if I am driving fast. The downside is that they are kinda big so they don't look as cool as normal sunglasses; however, they do sell them in mediums and they would look just fine if you don't need to go over glasses. I can't imagine trying to drive fast with wind in my eyes.

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/so...875489-product

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.