Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Poker Runs (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/35523-poker-runs.html)

SinkorSwim 10-24-2002 02:56 PM

Poker Runs

1 Attachment(s)
I have not yet had the opportunity to participate in my first poker run, but if all things come together I would like to try next season. Here is my question,,,if you were going to participate in one which one would you choose? (Considering I am from the St. Louis area) Also how big of a boat is needed to function or what is the smallest boat and engine setup you would take in that poker run?

Shane 10-24-2002 03:01 PM

I run my 24 Skater in NYC, 1000 Islands, Mahasset Bay etc. etc. All depends on your boat and abilities. ENJOY!:)

SinkorSwim 10-24-2002 03:06 PM

Very true

Very true Shane,,, I am really not so much worried about the boat or driving ability,,,,, I just don't want to be out of my league trying to keep up with a bunch of 40' Skaters doing 125+. I would like to attend one that has a wide variety of boats. Don't get me wrong,,,would love to have a 40' Skater,, but the bank wont let me...:(

Shane 10-24-2002 03:23 PM

SOS,

I wouldn't worry about it a bit. Most poker runs I have been to are comprised of the whole gammot(sp?)! You will and can find everything from Donzi 18's to 40 Skaters. The only you need is to be ready to have a great time!:)

SLOWRIDE-388 10-24-2002 03:34 PM

we are from central ill, just north of springfield. we went to smoke on the water in grand haven, mi last year. had a great showing and a lot of nice boats, varying in size. we plan to hit it again this year, along with cleveland and lake cumberland. once you start, you can't quit.

Panther 10-24-2002 04:04 PM

It's not all about the speed

Take whatever you got! Last summer there was a 30 something foot searay (One of the Giants coaches I think?). Maybe Sharkey will chime in here. He has a tiny boat, like 13ft? I don't know how he survives but I give him all the credit in the world.

IDRPSTF 10-24-2002 04:52 PM

In the next DSM Big Water Poker Run I plan on taking one of those 20'Baja Outaws to the Island Baby!!! Everyone with a 42 Tiger better get out of my way.

cuda 10-24-2002 05:28 PM

The poker run we went to this year actually had three different speed classes. You go with the one you are most comfortable with. The smallest boat I saw was a 24'.

SHARKEY-IMAGES 10-24-2002 06:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally posted by Shane
SOS,

You will and can find everything from Donzi 18's to 40 Skaters. The only you need is to be ready to have a great time!:)

Shane, Did you forget about the smallest boat ever to run in NY Hudson River Poker Run already??? :D :D :D

Thanks Panther....;)

rbtnt 10-24-2002 10:09 PM

You might try Kentucky Lake in June. It's put on by the same guys that do Lake Cumberland.