Notices

OSO verses FB and other social media

Old 07-10-2018, 07:03 AM
B38
Registered

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Default OSO verses FB and other social media

OSO verses FB and other social media.
I am member number 234 iI believe on oso, been here since inception. Watched as other sites come and go. I was encouraged to join FB, did so. Now I am back to oso. this site rocks and has no games and others saying stupid comments, commercial ads buy now are worse than ever on FB. Looks like I am a die hard fan of OSO. Thank you for your quality forums and classified ads, plus swap shop.
Kurt
B38
Old 07-10-2018, 07:39 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I don't have Facebook, Instagram, etc., never will. This place is rich in history and members willing to help. I have heard there's some boat for sale section of FaceBook (I think?), when the time comes for me to jump I might use my wife's account to look but I'll worry about that later.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:26 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

F Book is great if you want to tell the world who you are and plaster your mugshot all over the Internet forever.
From my relatively brief time on OSO, this place is the real deal with experienced people and personalities who love boats and are keen to help others through their own experiences.

I spend too much time on here but enjoy the reading and learning. Never a dull moment and if something is not real then it's either funny or April Fools Day! OSO Vs. F Book and similar? It's a no brainer.

RR

Old 07-10-2018, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

I made a Facebook bingo sheet.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I still keep coming back here - and at least one other boating forum. I don't use Facebook because it's too invasive and tries to do too much. A lot of fast-boaters do use it, but I think they don't realize that a lot of people are getting off because of those issues- and that if people aren't already on FB, they can't see your stuff. I do use Twitter a lot, and find it much mere convenient, easier and faster to use - but you have to know how to use it right. It's good for info-gathering and quick updates on events, places, etc.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:28 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

i'm not much for FB, check every so often there but rarely if ever post anything. Been a long time member here and truth be told think the quality of members and posts is stronger.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 07-10-2018, 10:34 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

never been on any social media sites like FB or the like....i figure i waste enough time on here i don't need much more time wasted elsewhere!
And i've never really seen the value in FB or any other of those sites....my step kids have accounts and all i see is constant stupidity.....i mean do i really care what someone had to eat last night! WTF!? I jokes at one point with the kids that someones gonna show the turd they dumped in the toilet next....they both laughed and said they have seen it or done it all ready!!! this society is seriously going down the tubes!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-10-2018, 10:38 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

My performance-boating life was born here and I'll be here until they turn the lights off. I bet 90% of my friendships are in some way attached to my membership here.

It may be a lot less traveled site than in the past but the value is here forever. The archives alone are priceless to the sport.

I still beg IB for OSO goodies and I take them everywhere I travel to keep the interest going.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:50 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
My performance-boating life was born here and I'll be here until they turn the lights off. I bet 90% of my friendships are in some way attached to my membership here.

It may be a lot less traveled site than in the past but the value is here forever. The archives alone are priceless to the sport.

I still beg IB for OSO goodies and I take them everywhere I travel to keep the interest going.
What's more, you've teamed up with your friends at speedonthewater.com (shameless plug) to host a great party in Key West every year.

Social media has its positive applications, for sure, but what most performance-boating oriented Facebook pages lack is a legitimate engaged community, which is what you have on OSO. Yes, as you point out, OSO is less traveled than it once was and Facebook and such have definitely had an impact. But OSO still has vitality and commitment from the community it has created. I learn a lot on this forum.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 07-10-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:51 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a FB account but rarely go there. It’s the same old stuff, everyone posting same pics over and over. I never learned how to use it past just seeing what my 20 ‘friends’ were doing. I actually closed it down twice because I don’t care where someone was checking in at or if they were sad/happy. Got suckered back in 2 yrs ago when I got the new bike and we had road trips planned. Think I'm up to about 3-5 responses in those 2 yrs. LOL

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 07-10-2018 at 05:50 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.