Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Formula Introduces Outboard-Powered 400 Super Sport Crossover >

Formula Introduces Outboard-Powered 400 Super Sport Crossover

Like Tree9Likes

Formula Introduces Outboard-Powered 400 Super Sport Crossover

Reply

Old 07-13-2018, 08:17 PM
  #11
Correspondent
Correspondent
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,723
Default

Originally Posted by rak rua View Post
Once you move up to 40 ish feet and go to a larger beam boat than the go fasts of 8'6", I think it's time to slow down, enjoy the huge cabins and deck areas of a cruiser and sip your wine at 20knots while the diesels rattle away under the cockpit floor. Let the shaft drives spin big slow props and keep the boats clean lines.

The one boat that I thought combined the outboards well in a cruiser style was the Sea Ray 370 Venture. As they don't appear to be in production anymore, I guess I was wrong and they missed the mark too.

RR






.
Yeah, I think the only outboard-powered sport cruiser Sea-Ray still offers is the 320 Sundancer.
Matt Trulio is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:43 PM
  #12
Registered
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: TRL
Posts: 516
Default

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio View Post
Yeah, I think the only outboard-powered sport cruiser Sea-Ray still offers is the 320 Sundancer.
Which won't be for much longer. Heard they are done making cruisers...and focusing only on the "sport boats"
keegan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:52 PM
  #13
Correspondent
Correspondent
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,723
Default

Originally Posted by keegan View Post
Which won't be for much longer. Heard they are done making cruisers...and focusing only on the "sport boats"
According to this TradeOnly article, https://www.tradeonlytoday.com/manuf...ontinue-yachts, Sea-Ray will continue to build sport cruisers up to 40 feet and smaller runabouts. But as far as the yacht side of the Sea-Ray business goes, you're absolutely correct.
Matt Trulio is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:47 PM
  #14
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 10,230
Default

Meridian was the old Bayliner yachts.......nothing special.

The SeaRay 460 Fly was one UGLY beast
Sea Ray Fly 460 Flybridge Sport Yacht: Over 46' of Luxury


They got really expensive at the high end also.......like 2mm which then is the price point for other brands
Jupiter Sunsation is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:05 PM
  #15
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Indianapolis, IN/ Punta Gorda, FL
My Boat: 2016 Nor-Tech 390 CC, 2008/2013 Donzi 43 ZR, 2005/2015 Formula 382, 1996 Donzi 22 Blackhawk
Posts: 1,168
Default

Originally Posted by rak rua View Post
Once you move up to 40 ish feet and go to a larger beam boat than the go fasts of 8'6", I think it's time to slow down, enjoy the huge cabins and deck areas of a cruiser and sip your wine at 20knots while the diesels rattle away under the cockpit floor. Let the shaft drives spin big slow props and keep the boats clean lines.

The one boat that I thought combined the outboards well in a cruiser style was the Sea Ray 370 Venture. As they don't appear to be in production anymore, I guess I was wrong and they missed the mark too.

RR






.

The 370 Venture was pretty sweet and had a huge aft cabin since no engine bay was needed. I believe there were a lot of issues with the engines not receiving enough air, which is why they discontinued it after only 2 years. You would think that would be fairly easy to correct, but who knows
PremierPOWER is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:31 PM
  #16
Correspondent
Correspondent
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,723
Default

Base power for the Formula 400 SSC is quad Mercury Verado 300 outboard engines, not 350s as originally reported. The 350s are an upgrade.

The error was mine. The text in the story has been changed to reflect accurate information. I apologize for any confusion my error may have caused.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 07-18-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Matt Trulio is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:34 AM
  #17
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: LOTO Performance Boat Center
My Boat: Cigarette, Sunsation, MTI, Wright Performance
Posts: 284
Default

Originally Posted by t500hps View Post
The 370 and 400 both have an 11 ft beam. They likely used a modified version of the bottom but they got an extra foot of beam in there somewhere.
They don't have the same beam, 370 is 10'6", the 400 is 11.
GL@PBC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:46 AM
  #18
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member
 
t500hps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 8,034
Default

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
They don't have the same beam, 370 is 10'6", the 400 is 11.
Correct. I had to look it up just now. Not the same but it's 10'9" vs 11'0"
t500hps is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser