When will you buy your LAST boat? >

When will you buy your LAST boat?

Notices

When will you buy your LAST boat?

Old 05-25-2019, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SUPERSTITIOUS
Timely question for my self as well. I'm 61 currently building another 30 Suberboat Y2K. I've always had boats in my life since the age of about 10. Been almost 8 years since my last go fast, and the Kayaks while fun, haven't been cutting it. I have been blessed with the use of my brothers' boats when I asked as they both have several. I've been wondering at this age if I'm going to do another performance boat, I better get busy!!! So yes I pulled the trigger. It may be my last but never say never.
I sold my last boat 2-1/2 years ago. I proclaimed myself retired from boating. Well, I guess that don't work so well.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:41 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Fair Chase
Great Question. I'm building a Skater 368 now. Should be done by March/April 2020. I'm 58 and keep things a long, long time. It will be my last boat. At least I'm pretty sure it will be.
Go for it! Get a build thread going!!! Sounds exciting!
Old 05-26-2019, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SUPERSTITIOUS
Go for it! Get a build thread going!!! Sounds exciting!
Ya know, I might just do that. Wife and I are going back there June 3-4 to talk to the painter, decide on interior design. Also dash layout and a few other things. I'll take some pictures and see about a thread when I get back.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Boat 1: 1987 regal 21’ open bow, sold, age 27
Boat 2: 2001 Jefferson Marlago 35FS, age 30, still own
Boat 3: 1997 Formula 330ss, age 34, just added
Boat ?: age ? No clue.

My parents are looking for a larger cabin boat though, 30-40’. While the AC and staying aboard is nice, I’m not a fan of how slow and thirsty they are. So I don’t think they’ll actually be cruising it a lot as they don’t get around too well in their late 60s, early 70s. Make sure to stay light, healthy and active if you want a longer boating career.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:58 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mid thirties here and my next boat will be a 28-32 ft cruiser purchased new with the plan of paying it off and keeping it for the remainder of my life. That's not to say that I cant also have a small go-fast, dinghy, jetskis etc...
Old 05-29-2019, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I sold my last boat, a 2006 Fountain 38TE with triple 275 Verado's coming up this July 3 years ago. My wife wants another boat...something smaller and easier to care for. I miss boating but I do not miss the jacked up screw ball mechanics that lie about repairs. I highly maintained my boats, in 24 years of boating I never once broke down on the water. The mechanics and owners at the boat shops/repair facilities pretty much ruined it for me.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Stclair26
Mid thirties here and my next boat will be a 28-32 ft cruiser purchased new with the plan of paying it off and keeping it for the remainder of my life. That's not to say that I cant also have a small go-fast, dinghy, jetskis etc...
Dang. Not many people do that. But it would force builders to build higher quality boats if the first owner was the last imo.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 46, and bought my 1st boat 4 years ago - An '87 Larson Senza BR-165. I've bought and sold 4 boats now, for a total loss of $200. I'm buying smarter now, and should see a profit on the 5 boats I now own. I usually buy in the Fall / Winter and sell in the Spring / Summer. My 2 keepers at the moment are a '94 Checkmate Pulse 186, and a '94 Glastron 2000 Cuddy. My wife's dream boat right now is a Jeanneau NC 795. In 20 years, I imagine they'll be affordable. I'd like to live in it for at least 6 months, or maybe 6 years. And in 20 years, the Checkmate Pulsare 2000 BRX should be pretty cheap. I'll pick one of those up, or something like it.

I tell my boys that no matter how much you spend on something like a boat, there will always be something better you could have had. It's best to be content with simple things.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sold our SR1 271 Formula 2 seasons ago and have not really missed boating yet. I keep joking I must have hit my head since I've owned boats from Sail boats to power boats since I was 18 and I'm now 59. My son works for a Full Line BRP Dealership (Ski-Doo, Sea-Doo,) and we have use of Demo's when ever we want and my brother In-law has a lake house we can go to anytime we want as well. We are motorcycle people as well (both off-road and Street) and are never really lacking for something to do all summer. Got out of boating because it sat on the trailer in the drive or in the barn more and more so it was time to move on. Might look at a 23-30 ft Center Console with 1 or 2 big outboards for power on a trailer down the road but the prices I'm seeing now in the used market are sort of stupid so I'll sit on the sidelines and wait.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 62 Posts

@ 62 I think I just did it's a go fast and I love it!