Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Suggestions on must have in home garage? >

Suggestions on must have in home garage?

Notices

Suggestions on must have in home garage?

Old 07-21-2018, 08:45 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Bar and Stripper pole
Old 11-15-2019, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 368 Likes on 247 Posts

Finally getting there slowly! But got caught with cold and snow before pouring concrete!!!
Old 11-15-2019, 11:07 PM
B38
Registered

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by NHGuy
overhead beam and trolley to lift engines and whatever other things that need picking up
Insulation under roof. Entire building do closed cell foam. Never get radical temp changes when insulation.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

deleated

Last edited by Tinkerer; 11-17-2019 at 09:20 PM. Reason: i was dumb
Old 11-17-2019, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Back to AC, when I worked on boats the shop I was at had an already installed small window unit built in. If we brought the next days boats in before leaving and left it on high all night the shop was insulated enough to creep up to the mid 70s when outside was high 80s.

Dont know electricity costs, it was included in rent. All bets were off after the big door was opened, that little ac unit couldn’t catch back up.

Might be easier and cheaper initially than a big unit.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 368 Likes on 247 Posts

Finally have a solid floor! Just need to let it cure and bring back some stuff inside before we get too much snow!

Old 12-06-2019, 09:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 503 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
Insulate the walls and ceiling with spray foam. Makes the building air tight and quiet.
I have in floor heat and love it.
The air is warmer at the floor than at the ceiling. SO when you open a door in the middle of the winter you don't lose all of your heat.
My garage is 36 X 42 and you can open a 10 x 10 door when it is 20* F outside and 10 minutes after the door is closed the heat turns back off and you would never know it had been opened.
I second the spray foam insulation as well. It makes a huge difference in temps. My 30x40 has never gotten below 45 anytime and I rarely turn the heat on unless I'm out there washing the truck. I suggest metal on the walls and ceiling. I did white metal on mine and it is super bright when the lights are on, also it make cleaning very easy if something gets on the walls.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts

I worked in a hanger that had a heated floor. It's awesome. As prev noted, once the doors are closed, the temp returns to normal very quickly.

Epoxy floor coating is something to think about before you start filling up the shop. I went with a 3-part epoxy based coating. Can't remember the manuf but it's the same stuff the military uses in hangers. It's held up pretty well after abt 8 years. Only downside is it's a little slick when wet with water; with oil it's downright dangerous. That motivates me to clean up oil spills immediately. Small spills can be cleaned-up with just a paper towel. Another plus is that it reflects light which is nice when working underneath a vehicle.

I try to keep everything on wheels that can be on wheels. When clean-up time arrives, just roll everything out, grab a mop and hose, then squeege it dry.

Having an elec outlet you can reach from inside the boat is a great idea. Either wall mounted or hanging from ceiling. Good for battery chargers, fan, drill, drop-light, etc.