Buying a Bank Owned Baja Outlaw 33? >

Buying a Bank Owned Baja Outlaw 33?

Notices

Buying a Bank Owned Baja Outlaw 33?

Old 08-08-2018, 10:22 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Also, I would be sure to have the motors scanned, AND check with Mercury directly.
The engine PCM has it's own hourmeter (each) as well as RPM range history. That will tell you about how the boat was run.

HOWEVER, the early 496HO and Mag boats had "complaints" with running rich, and really sooting up the transoms. Most of the 2002-2003 era 496 boats had their PCMs...
...REPLACED by Mercury, under warranty/recall/TSB. So, take what you learn with the engine scan with a grain of salt, especially WRT to engine hours.
They MAY have had 200 hard hours put on them in the first year or two, then had the PCMs replaced. Mercury may be able to tell you some of this based on engine serial numbers.

Last, plan on replacing a few sensors like Cam and Crank Position Sensors, somewhat common failures on these engines. OF NOTE: the Cam Sensors for these early model 496 engines are NO LONGER AVAILABLE, You have to find them used or in bulk sale on eBay or the like. I had two spares that fit my 2003 496HOs that I kept during ownership, but never had to replace them thankfully. The new owner still has them. IF you need to replace the Cam Position Sensor, and go to the the newer versions, YOU MUST replace the timing chain cover due to interference issues.

Member "BUP" has posted TONS of info on 496s over the years. He's forgotten more than most of us know, put together; a great resource.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 08-08-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you everyone for the replies and information.

The covers I was referring to in my OP are the soft covers, i.e., snap in cockpit cover and snap in cockpit carpet. These are no big deal items. All hatches and vents seem intact. The wind screen looks good, cosmetically she looks great (in the pictures).

The boat does not have an anchor locker which I find strange but its something I can live with and one less hatch to go wrong.

The boat is located too far for me to travel to see unless I'm really intent on moving forward with marine survey and mechanical check-up, etc., which I would insist on being present for. That would be the first time I would see the boat in person. If it all checked out, including sea trial, I would buy it and arrange for transport.

Jim Diesel, the picture you posted, that's the one I'm talking about. I suspect Sydwayz is correct in his guess that the cowlings didn't fit over the aftermarket air filters.

I didn't consider having the motors scanned, I will definitely do that.

Also, I failed to consider that early 496's aren't parts compatible with current models. That isn't something I would have guessed considering I've never had difficulty finding parts for my '96 454 (carburated).

I like the power-to-weight and more modern architecture of the 496 but would I be better off with 502's when it comes to finding parts?

This website is always so helpful to me. Thank you again to everyone that posted this valuable information.

Last edited by Arkstorm; 08-08-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:58 PM
Registered

BTW - I meant to mention, the asking price is... $39,000.00. Its not an SST package model. And its pretty light on options.

Last edited by Arkstorm; 08-08-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

I would not buy a boat that I have not put my hands on. There are a lot of marine surveyors out there and not all good. There are many stories of the great boat report and when you get it, its bad news all around. Just like all businesses there are good and bad, the issue is find the good ones.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:21 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

There are go-jillions of 496 powerplants out there. I would not be concerned with owning one long term. There are work around for any of the NLA parts, and the Cam Sensor replacement of timing chain cover is the most invasive of those, that I know of. Many boats you could do that while in the boat; 33' Baja, no way.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

there's plenty of room in the bilge in a 33.....if your not fat......
Old 08-08-2018, 03:27 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 597 Likes on 275 Posts

Just pull back seat like 29OL correct?
Old 08-08-2018, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

yes, it lifts right up and out ^^^
Old 08-08-2018, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

In my short and amateur experience with powerboats, unless you can wrap yourself around it for a few hours and get a fairly decent sea trial for a solid representation of what it is, I would consider it as a full restoration project, and anything that isn’t found to be broken to be a bonus.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
In my short and amateur experience with powerboats, unless you can wrap yourself around it for a few hours and get a fairly decent sea trial for a solid representation of what it is, I would consider it as a full restoration project, and anything that isn’t found to be broken to be a bonus.
I think that position is a little bleak. Not that I would buy the boat, any boat, without a thorough sea trial to my satisfaction that everything works as it should, but this boat definitely looks far from a restoration job and I hope that doing the necessary due diligence would uncover any major issues.

If I was buying it sight unseen I would treat it as a potential restoration but I wouldn't buy it sight unseen. Just gotta get all the moving parts in order from afar, i.e., mechanical tests, marine survey and sea trial. The distance makes it tricky.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.