Notices

Failed Survey

Old 10-28-2002, 08:40 AM
Joe D

Default Failed Survey

I am new to this site and am looking for some advice. I've been a lifelong boater and have had a couple of go fast boats over the years but have been out fishing the last couple of years. I am in the process of looking for a older offshore boat (preferrably a later 80's or early 90's Cigarette).

I found a 93 Top Gun, that had everything I wanted, and was the right price. We had a deal contingent on a survey. The survey showed that the boat had very high moisture content in the transom. The bulkhead in front of the fuel tanks was a mess. The boat had standing water resting up against the front side of the bulkhead. This side of the bulkhead was not even gel coated (just raw fiberglass mat). The bulkhead was soft to touch (felt like wet cardboard).

Needless to say, I backed out of this deal. The question is: Is it worth trying to buy this same boat at a reduced price (reflecting the needed repairs)? I understand what is involved in replacing a transom but repairing the bulkhead seems like it would be a nightmare. Can anyone enlighten me as to how a bulkhead would be fixed or replaced? What would the cost be for something like this?

Would it be best just to forget about this boat and keep looking?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 10-28-2002, 08:48 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the sellers first name Jeff? If so I may be able to help.
Old 10-28-2002, 09:10 AM
Joe D

No. The seller's first name isn't Jeff.

Old 10-28-2002, 09:17 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry can't help!
Old 10-28-2002, 09:21 AM
KN
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe, I would keep looking. There are a lot of nice boats for sale. And it's definately a buyers market. I wouldn't want the headache of trying to get it fixed. Unless you can do all the work yourself, I can't see it being worth while. And in the end it will probable cost more than you planned.

Kirk
Old 10-28-2002, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would run. I am sure the boat has flexed beyond it's limits. Look for crazing in the gelcoat along the lift strakes. The problem is going to be getting access to all these spots. The only real way is to split the deck and that is a huge job. There are going to be many more issues with this boat that will only show up when you fix the other spots. I had this same thing with a Donzi and if I knem then what I know now I would have run myself. There are many boats out there that are solid. If this thing is so wet inside than it is wet all over and these are just the visable things. Cigs are great boats and very strong but this one sounds like it was ridden hard and put away wet. No amount od discount will be worth it unless we are talking 30-40K. I wouls pass on this one. I know from great experience you will never have closure unless you start over with a complete stringer and bulkhead replacement.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:17 AM
Joe D

I think you guys have told me what I already knew. I should just walk away and keep looking. It's just such a bummer, this boat was exactly what I was looking for. I have all fall and winter to look so I'm sure I will find somthing that fits the bill for me.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 10-28-2002, 10:40 AM
The Senior Charter Member #1070
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow

Originally posted by cashbrain
PASS...you have no idea what else you'll find once you get started...
I AGREE.... PASS!
THERE ARE PLENTY MORE OUT THERE, SAVE YOURSELF ALL THE HEADACHES.
Old 10-28-2002, 11:14 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

PASS...obivously this owner did not care about keeping the boat in good condition. With that being said...there's probably more bad news to be had due to that type of ownership. There are so many owners selling boats at this point in time that have pride in their boats and maintain them very well, you'll find a deal if you show some patience.
Old 10-28-2002, 11:37 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

RUN AWAY !!!!!!!!! NOthing would be worse then dumping tons of time and money into it and have another problem pop up when you were finished!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Failed Survey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.