Notices

Undocking

Old 09-13-2018, 03:05 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Undocking

As silly as this might sound, what is the best way to get away from the dock when parked parallel? My previous boat was a 25 Outlaw, current boat is a 382 Fastech. Docking is cake. I've always been good at walking them wherever I want them. However, when pulling away from the dock when tied parallel, I always have trouble unless I can get a good shove off from the bow to get the boat rotating away. Any tips?
Old 09-13-2018, 06:53 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Get the stern going first. Bump the bow towards the dock, then the stern backing away. Repeat again and likely after 2 cycles of this your far enough out to go/do whatever needed. (In tight spaces it's easier to move the stern than getting the bow to go where you want)
Old 09-13-2018, 06:56 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by t500hps
Get the stern going first. Bump the bow towards the dock, then the stern backing away. Repeat again and likely after 2 cycles of this your far enough out to go/do whatever needed. (In tight spaces it's easier to move the stern than getting the bow to go where you want)
Thanks. I really need to go play at an empty dock sometime.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:25 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Barr Hopping
Thanks. I really need to go play at an empty dock sometime.
Always best to learn when you don't "need" to do it and not many people around watching! (I had a 382 and got to where I could rotate that thing around in 45 ft or less space as needed.....eventually
Old 09-13-2018, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Please excuse the owners choice of boats.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...0AAB&FORM=VIRE
Old 09-13-2018, 08:18 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by GLENAMY 242SS
Please excuse the owners choice of boats.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...0AAB&FORM=VIRE
LOL.....
That's exactly what I was talking about. Except with a twin engine boat you can do that with the drives instead of using a dock line.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by t500hps
LOL.....
That's exactly what I was talking about. Except with a twin engine boat you can do that with the drives instead of using a dock line.
Exactly, turn full lock on the helm, 1 engine forward the other reverse and the boat should walk sideways. I could not find a video for that.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Also, trim out just a bit if you have a notched transom.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:28 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Many folks when starting their learning curve on a twin engine boat...
...want to keep using the steering wheel.
For the most part, don't do that. (Staggered boats, and some boats, you HAVE to though).
For most situations, ensure that before you cut loose, that your drives are straight. Do this by peaking over the transom yourself.

Now, using both shifters to walk and maneuver the boat takes a bit of practice; but most folks can pick it up within a few weeks.
However, once you feel comfortable with using the shifters to maneuver the boat, NOW, start using the throttles as well. You can power up one drive to make the boat work against it's own prop thrust, and pivot 'more aggressively' than if they are just at idle.
But, you have to remember to bring them back to idle before you shift.
This takes quite a bit more practice. But in a breeze and/or a current; especially when either is pushing you TOWARD the dock or whatever you want to move away from...
...you will definitely need to master this skill.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 09-13-2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Good answer Sydwayz. Its like driving a bulldozer. I suggest to go out and put a buoy out with a weight on it and practice using just the gear selector in a calm remote cove. Or if a friend has a nice padded dock pull up to it and start getting a feel how the boat reacts using the forward and reverse gears.

When I had my 38 Fountain TE with Trip Verados I had a steering ram go out...leaking. The steering wheel no longer worked. I got the engines straight and drove the dang thing home to my dock just using the 2 outside throttles...spun it around in the canal and onto the lift....all with throttles and gear select.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.