John Lingenfelter in a coma???

Notices

John Lingenfelter in a coma???

Old 10-28-2002, 02:05 PM
packinair

Default John Lingenfelter in a coma???

http://www.nhrasportcompact.com/2002/news/102801.html

quotes I have found so far...

"my friends mom is best friends with Cindy (John's Wife). He wrecked his cavalier today, hit the wall and flipped six times. Hes in a coma, lost all of his teeth, has brain swelling, a punctured lung, and he broke his neck. Very sad day for the racing world."

"Hartford's joy was short-lived as just behind him Pro teammate John Lingenfelter suffered a terrible top-end crash while losing to R.J. Simrock in the Pro semifinals. Lingenfelter's Summit Cavalier crossed the centerline and smashed into the opposite-lane guardwall, and rode the guardwall into the top-end sandtrap. Lingenfelter was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment.
"

Quote:
Well, at this point John has either a C-4 or a C-6 fracture(cervical vertabrae in the neck), broken ribs,a concussion, and kidney injuries. He is in ICU under sedation on a ventilator. He did stop breathing in the ambulance but the paramedics were able to revive him.
The info on the accident was a little backwards with everyone being so shaken, he crossed the center line, just after the finish line, and hit the wall riding it into the sandtraps.
His teammate in the modified class, Matt Hartford, whom my brother crew chiefs for, just found out he won the championship before Johns run.
They did say that NHRA has been incredibly helpful arranging for to get them ors have been overwhelming in their support, many of them already at the hospital.
I know him amd his family would appreciate your thoughts and prayers.
Tif

Old 10-28-2002, 02:17 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That Sucks.
Old 10-28-2002, 04:27 PM
TulsaLarry

Originally posted by catmando
A great engine builder to be sure. If he survives, I hope that will be his last race. He must be in his 50s from the pics I've seen of him. I know Paul Newman raced into his 70s, but maybe John should hang up his life jacket now.
I do hope he has a speedy recovery.

Cat: Being in your 50's is not the end of the world. He should have many, many more years of racing.

Old 10-28-2002, 05:16 PM
The Senior Charter Member #1070
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 10-28-2002, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts

Hope he recovers. I love to read hear or even see his achievements, truly amazing. About 8 years ago I was at Maryland International Raceway and we were watching time runs for the street class and this early 90's, quiet, stock looking black Corvette pulls to the line does this giant wheelstand and clicks off a 9.98 1/4 mile pass. We had to find where this guy was parked. When we got to his pit area expecting to see a dually and an enclosed trailer but instead we found a Toyota pickup with a jack and 4 factory Corvette wheels and tires in the bed. This guy DROVE this thing there and changed to 9" slicks in the back and some drag skinnies in the front. Talking to the owner it got high teens for milege on PUMP GAS! Inside the car was stock except for the roll bar and seat belts. Under the hood; AC, power brakes, power steering, even cruise control. But on the valve cover;

Lingenfelter Performance Engineering
Old 10-28-2002, 06:32 PM
Registered

Old 10-28-2002, 06:49 PM
Charter/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Our prayers with John L. He is the best chevy engine builder in the world. The power he gets out of engines is unbelievable. The stuff he does with "stock" chevy autos & trucks is fantastic. I hope he pulls through OK.