Any charter members still around ????

Notices

Any charter members still around ????

Old 09-28-2018, 12:21 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
Didn't it crash once and everything was lost? Would have been around 2000 which is why so many of us have the 2000 join date. Maybe that's why the server or whatever it was needed to be upgraded.
October of 2000 is when it became an actual forum/message board where you had to register with a screen name in order to post. Prior to that it was basically a chat room with a classified section. Maybe about 6 months later, Jeffery needed to upgrade the server and asked for 300 people to contribute $30. You got a Charter Member sticker and T-shirt for the contribution. Charter members also got all the perks that the future paid memberships would have for free forever. There were not actually any paid memberships at the time and maybe only a couple sponsors.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Good background info. It was not a paid member site when I first stumbled across it.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:50 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
October of 2000 is when it became an actual forum/message board where you had to register with a screen name in order to post. Prior to that it was basically a chat room with a classified section. Maybe about 6 months later, Jeffery needed to upgrade the server and asked for 300 people to contribute $30. You got a Charter Member sticker and T-shirt for the contribution. Charter members also got all the perks that the future paid memberships would have for free forever. There were not actually any paid memberships at the time and maybe only a couple sponsors.
I just seem to remember everyone losing their original join date or member #s or something. Lots of complaints ensued because it was like losing your seniority. I might be mistaken because of how long ago it was.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:00 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Old 09-28-2018, 03:02 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Attached Thumbnails Any charter members still around ????-grouped_b.bmp  
Old 09-28-2018, 03:04 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

OSO Chicago
Attached Thumbnails Any charter members still around ????-gouped_b2.bmp  
Old 09-28-2018, 07:41 PM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
Don't remember the t-shirts. Back then no one knew or expected any of this to be a paid site. I would say back then all of just wanted the site to stay up. Best $30 I ever spent. I have OSO to thank for meeting a great deal of people including Griff.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:04 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Still here. I'm a cruiser guy now, but the water calls me just as much.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:37 PM
Charter Member #394
Charter Member

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

Yep, have t-shirts and stickers to prove it, LOL
Attached Thumbnails Any charter members still around ????-charter-%5B50%25%5D.jpg   Any charter members still around ????-oso.jpg  

Last edited by SFOcean; 09-28-2018 at 09:41 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 09-28-2018, 11:14 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

. Very little in the way of Offshore Powerboating sites back in 2000. Came across the site, they had me when I saw a member "Blonde Cig Chick" who owned a Gun with twin 900s IIRC. Seemed to be a SCOPE member site so I lurked for the better part of a year before joining. Found out much later that the site was in its infancy when I started lurking. I remember the Charter Membership thing didnt realize the $30 was to upgrade the server, maybe I should have read it lol .......LOTS of drama over the years holy sh it! I remember saying that the name should be changed from OSO to "As The Propeller Turns".Have been boating steadily since I bought my first boat in '95 The race car takes up time these days. I have minimums now....if the weather isnt calling for 75 or higher I dont go out lol

Last edited by pullmytrigger; 09-28-2018 at 11:30 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.