Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Pirate's Cove Marina PCB destroyed (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/357121-pirates-cove-marina-pcb-destroyed.html)

VetteLT193 10-10-2018 02:49 PM

Pirate's Cove Marina PCB destroyed

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...9d1250c067.jpg

thisistank 10-10-2018 03:10 PM

Holy crap! No good.

jeff32 10-10-2018 05:56 PM

Where is this? Florida?

WARPARTY36 10-10-2018 06:05 PM

Sad

badmonkey 10-10-2018 06:48 PM

Hope no one was hurt or even worst killed.

Jupiter Sunsation 10-10-2018 06:56 PM

This storm was no joke! News said by pressure it was the 2nd most powerful storm in history to hit mainland US, by wind speed it was 4th. The state of Florida wasn't really stressing about it until it spooled up and took aim. The area hit is NOT like S. Florida where things are built to hurricane standards. The panhandle has lots of old wood frame stuff, flooding will surely be an issue and then it rolls right into GA.

What sucks is this is hitting right as their snowbird winter season is starting. Lots of people will have miserable holidays due to no work, no money, lots of damage.

This was the before pic:
https://www.legendarymarine.com/pana...h-location.htm

compedgemarine 10-10-2018 07:49 PM

that pic is a good shot. on weather.com there is a video of it at the end and there is not much left. this is why I dont trust forecasters. Florence was supposed to be a cat 4 or 5 and hit at a cat 1. this one was supposed to be a cat 3 at the worst and it is one of the strongest to ever hit the US. this is why you should evacuate if you are on the coast. there is nothing you are going to do to protect anything when something like this hits. no matter how tough you think you are, nature always wins.

Knot 4 Me 10-11-2018 07:05 AM

I know the area well there off of Thomas Drive. What a shame. Could have been way worse though in PCB. Much more damage just to the East.

bigredbaja 10-11-2018 08:50 AM

My daughter lives in Walton County just north of the bay in Freeport, FL about 45 miles west of Panama City and she decided to stay so I came down to Tuesday to help her recover from what ever the storm left behind, Wednesday morning as the storm approached Cat 5 wind speeds we left for a local shelter at a nearby High School. The communities along the beach in Walton County appeared to have been spared significant damage from what we can see but local new reports show massive damage in Panama City and complete devastation in the Mexico Beach area. Its going to be a sometime before those areas are back to normal.

iamjoe 10-11-2018 09:08 AM

I used to work with real meteorologists, not the TV people. They live for events like Michael. They are not as much forecasters as they are students of why stuff happens. They always said "you can't learn much from a sunny day". Their focus was mostly wind-based although snow loading was a thing as well. I got to watch them really closely and I will tell you that the serious question for them is why this storm turned into something that didn't "seem" probable. I also worked with geologists that were earthquake focused and explosives people who studied what makes an explosion able to create damage. All of these guys were multiple PHDs in their fields plus mathematics/computer science. The wind people are not getting much sleep right now

compedgemarine 10-11-2018 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by iamjoe (Post 4653712)
I used to work with real meteorologists, not the TV people. They live for events like Michael. They are not as much forecasters as they are students of why stuff happens. They always said "you can't learn much from a sunny day". Their focus was mostly wind-based although snow loading was a thing as well. I got to watch them really closely and I will tell you that the serious question for them is why this storm turned into something that didn't "seem" probable. I also worked with geologists that were earthquake focused and explosives people who studied what makes an explosion able to create damage. All of these guys were multiple PHDs in their fields plus mathematics/computer science. The wind people are not getting much sleep right now

that is the thing. if they (the ones on radio and tv) would just say "we are just guessing and have no real idea what it will do because it is nature" I would have more respect for them. they always talk like they know what will happen and then if it doesnt they try to spin the narrative. I learned a long time ago that Mother Nature does what she wants regardless of what we think so always be prepared for the worst. like the old saying "the problem with looking for the devil is he just may show up"

iamjoe 10-11-2018 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by compedgemarine (Post 4653715)
that is the thing. if they (the ones on radio and tv) would just say "we are just guessing and have no real idea what it will do because it is nature" I would have more respect for them. they always talk like they know what will happen and then if it doesnt they try to spin the narrative. I learned a long time ago that Mother Nature does what she wants regardless of what we think so always be prepared for the worst. like the old saying "the problem with looking for the devil is he just may show up"

yeah, the people I worked with referred to the TV and radio people as "guessers" but on the other hand I wouldn't feel great if they came on TV and said "we don't know what's going to happen, so all of you should just run! They are guessing but they're educated guess's.

thirdchildhood 10-11-2018 11:00 AM

TV meteorologist ...

thisistank 10-11-2018 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by iamjoe (Post 4653723)
yeah, the people I worked with referred to the TV and radio people as "guessers" but on the other hand I wouldn't feel great if they came on TV and said "we don't know what's going to happen, so all of you should just run! They are guessing but they're educated guess's.

That's the problem with ALL NEWS now a-days. Less reporting on facts, all conjecture, opinion and drama. :rolleyes:

But weather is tricky and very much educated guess work.

iamjoe 10-11-2018 12:13 PM

The good thing is with hurricanes we get fair warning. I went out to Northridge in 1994 when that earthquake hit. Earthquakes sneak up on you. I wouldn't live out there for all the tea in China.

thisistank 10-11-2018 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by iamjoe (Post 4653736)
The good thing is with hurricanes we get fair warning. I went out to Northridge in 1994 when that earthquake hit. Earthquakes sneak up on you. I wouldn't live out there for all the tea in China.

6 to one half a dozen to the other right? We don't have "earthquake season" like the east coast has "hurricane season" or the Midwest has "tornado season". You're pretty much guaranteed to have some crappy stuff hit every year back east. Ca hasn't had a big earthquake since the 94 quake.

Keith Atlanta 10-11-2018 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by iamjoe (Post 4653712)

You are right however, the spaghetti models are very close to predicting within a 3 mile point of impact and get extremely accurate at 1-2 days out. Just like everything else it will improve. This morning I read that the shallow waters were 3-5 degrees higher than normal and this was the big contributor to the "spool" up from cat 2 to cat 4 (damn close to cat 5)

thisistank 10-11-2018 02:53 PM

I'm trying to figure out what part of Legendary this damaged area is? I'm guessing its the little side / newer building detached and back behind LuLu's? The roof and the sides of the damaged building doesn't match the actual large building. Which makes me wonder....How did the large building fare?

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...1b035d94f0.jpg

EmeraldCoastPokerRun 10-11-2018 03:16 PM

Incorrect information!!!!
Legendary Marine in Panama City had minor damage. The photo in this post is not Legendary Marine. It is pirate's cove dry stack barn next door. Legendary Marine had minimal damage. Thank you!

EmeraldCoastPokerRun 10-11-2018 03:20 PM

This is not Legendary Marine Panama City! They had very little damage. This is Pirate's Cove Barn next door.

EmeraldCoastPokerRun 10-11-2018 03:23 PM

Legendary Marine Panama City NOT DESTROYED.

There are a number of false reports circulating. Legendary Marine in Panama City sustained little damage. Pirate's Cove Dry Stack barn next door is the picture you are seeing. Please be careful when posting pictures if you are not familiar with the area. Thank you.

EmeraldCoastPokerRun 10-11-2018 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by thisistank (Post 4653626)
Holy crap! No good.

This is not Legendary Marine, it's Pirate's Cove barn.

LS1 10-11-2018 03:25 PM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...947f09805e.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...73afedede7.jpg

Cash Bar 10-11-2018 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by thisistank (Post 4653753)
I'm trying to figure out what part of Legendary this damaged area is? I'm guessing its the little side / newer building detached and back behind LuLu's? The roof and the sides of the damaged building doesn't match the actual large building. Which makes me wonder....How did the large building fare?

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...1b035d94f0.jpg

I think that is the Destin location in that picture Tank

thisistank 10-11-2018 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by EmeraldCoastPokerRun (Post 4653756)
There are a number of false reports circulating. Legendary Marine in Panama City sustained little damage. Pirate's Cove Dry Stack barn next door is the picture you are seeing. Please be careful when posting pictures if you are not familiar with the area. Thank you.

Thanks for clearing that up. Kind'a the point of my whole question. Heard other rumors it was Destin Legendary too. Good to know they didn't get hit that hard! Sucks about Pirates Cove though.

badmonkey 10-11-2018 05:55 PM

We’re not there...just reading and seeing reports. Obviously non of this is true....which really sucks for the continued “fake” news...for those that have mentioned the “non” facts ...F off. You’re an *******. Too many families get affected by this crap and frankly as a red blooded American those that feed this **** should be placed on the opposite side of the “wall”.

Nauti monkey

Indy 10-11-2018 06:06 PM

Mods should either delete or change the title of the thread.

bulletbob 10-11-2018 08:19 PM

I had a apartment at Gulf Highlands in PCB starting in 2008. The second happiest day of my life was selling it two years ago. I had a ground floor unit and thankfully only had to gut it once due to flooding. I love PCB and all of the gulf coast. I just don't think I want to own any property there, but, I will always enjoy visiting. I just had Michael blow thru my town Columbia S.C. this am. iIt caused some major flooding but we still had the ranges hot on Fort Jackson and managed to graduate 1250 trainee's this morning by 12 pm. Training never stops.
Greg (Cashbar) Steve introduced me to you for the first time at on the 2011 ECPR Navarro beach. I also met Sam (Skate) and his son Will in his immaculate 28 Skater that year. I send best wishes to everyone affected by the storm as I will always love that area and continue to visit every chance I get. Great people and even better boating.

Cash Bar 10-11-2018 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Indy (Post 4653775)
Mods should either delete or change the title of the thread.

Good idea!

alindquist 10-12-2018 07:09 AM

Legendary Marine in Destin is just fine, my boat was in their barn and I picked it up yesterday. Emerald Coat Marine AKA Northlight in Niceville is also fine. I herd rumors on Wednesday that both had been destroyed... I had to drive down to San Destin yesterday and didn't see hardly any damage. I haven't been down 30A yet, and I was told yesterday in PCB they have road blocks set up and are only letting certain owners in.

Knot 4 Me 10-12-2018 07:23 AM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...5f7a028b76.jpg
Well that makes more sense that it is not the Marine Dealer off Thomas Drive in PCB. PCB was spared the catastrophic damage that Mexico Beach and to a lesser extent, Panama City experienced. Here's a pic of my favorite tiki bar in PCB at Sharkey's post-storm. They lost the shark out front and their sign but otherwise made it thru fairly unscathed. Had the eyewall been 10 - 20 miles more to the West no way the roof of this bar would still be intact.

PremierPOWER 10-15-2018 09:30 PM

that looks like a pretty nice building. I’m surprised it wasn’t built to withstand cat 4 or 5 winds like a lot of modern high and drys.