Fine-Tuning The Poker Run Experience >

Fine-Tuning The Poker Run Experience

Like Tree17Likes

Fine-Tuning The Poker Run Experience

Old 10-11-2018, 11:09 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Default Fine-Tuning The Poker Run Experience

Like never before, event organizers need—and want—your input, https://www.offshoreonly.com/article...run-experience
From the OSO home page.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 10-11-2018 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:18 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

My Boat: 88 cigarette bullet, 2000 Baja 25 outlaw sold

We would really like some feedback from everyone.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:44 PM
Registered

My Boat: 38 Flatdeck

I`m not interested in long runs , wasting tons of fuel and getting pounded for an hour is not fun. I like shorter runs. Anything over 40 miles I`m out. Especially on Lake Michigan.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:57 PM
Registered

My Boat: 08 36 Spectre poker run

One thing Id love to see for the first leg of a run is dock slips blocked for poker run participants only. Several times we have left the start point to head to the first card stop only to find all the slips taken by people just wanting to watch the poker run arrive. I understand the business venues support the poker run and welcome the extra revenue but at least hold slips til the first leg of paid participants arrive. No sticker no parking. After the first group arrives at the stop parking could then be open to all.
outta control likes this.
Old 10-12-2018, 06:52 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Thank you for your responses, gentlemen. I am collecting so I can pass them along to the group next weekend.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:06 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

My Boat: 17' Speedliner Cat & O.P.B.

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL View Post
I`m not interested in long runs , wasting tons of fuel and getting pounded for an hour is not fun. I like shorter runs. Anything over 40 miles I`m out. Especially on Lake Michigan.

So, to summarize your feedback to the PR organizers, they should create a "Kiddie Course" for certain folks like yourself?

Last edited by Sydwayz; 10-12-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:21 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

My Boat: 17' Speedliner Cat & O.P.B.

My favorite Poker Runs are such that tend not to be "snooty" with certain cliques of boats and boaters that try and make their own private event DURING the bigger event. If everyone is there for a good time, we should do it together. The reason I bring this up, is this divides up the crowd, and since we don't get to do this ALL the time, keeping the bigger group together for the event is important in my book. IF a certain group wants to have a separate adjunct event, do so the day before or the day after.

Also, my favorite Poker Runs are such that engage the community outside of the Powerboat arena. No one does this better than Boyne Thunder that I have personally experienced. Poker Run for a Cure in Norfolk and the Key West Poker Run by Stu and the FPC also do this well, but not to the extreme of BT. Yes, this has to do with location and logistics. And you have to be careful with security and the unsavory folks that could show up in the wings. However, I do enjoy talking to folks that are not well versed in the sport; and sharing knowledge. Also, there is nothing better than taking a couple of non-attendee kids and letting them see the boat, sit/stand behind the wheel, and creating a few future boaters, just like happened to me when I sat on the bow of the 38' Scarab from Miami Vice in Chicago in the 80s.

I think it is one of the NJ runs that also couples their PR with a "rides" event or program. (Please someone correct me if I am wrong.) The one I recall reading about was a 'Rides for Veterans' or similar. Every year, I participate in "Rides from the Heart" which is put on by Kenneth Anderson and friends outside of Richmond, VA. It's for the benefit of ASK Childhood Cancer Foundation. ASK CHILDHOOD CANCER FOUNDATION - Home The children AND their families are hosted for a day on the water, including boat rides, lunch, and a bunch of other activities. I think that coupling this with the above topic of bringing in the community and sharing our 'fortune' with those less fortunate is a golden opportunity for both sides.
Padraig and Wobble like this.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:04 AM
Registered

My Boat: 1990 Top Gun, Pursuit 3370

Really hard to change anything from Boyne, they do everything great. The whole town caters to the event, what makes this so unique. Only caveat was no shuttle transport from poker run to lodge after drinking in the evening (they do have one, but very tough to arrange). Mostly just a result of the location/area. Call me a geek but those cooler bags from Boyne were an awesome present! Very usable, great product and thought. I also like nice host amenities when away from home, and any room blocks/discounts that can be had. The pre-event activities are nice for people that travel extra days and from further distances. Some of us budget 4-5 days for these events, so if we can meet other boaters prior to the main event, makes it more enjoyable.

Nashville Run is very casual and well organized, has the comradery feel to it. Two very different runs (I have limited experience) Both do it well for what they are. The marinas do a very good job of hosting and keeping docks cleared for participants.

Dan, you're starting to sound like Tim, who remains in a 20 mile bubble all season.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:47 AM
"Unregistered Gun"
Platinum Member

My Boat: Lip Ship TG

I would say having adequate dock or assigned spots for participants would be a great thing (especially if they pre-register), I hate having to come in early and having to worry if I'm going to get a spot at the host marina for the evening or for overnight. Which goes along with what "QWKRN U" had said about the poker run stops as well.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:53 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

My Boat: 2009 Skater 3212- Mad Props-- 27' Concept CC t/275VRods

Originally Posted by Sydwayz View Post
So, to summarize your feedback to the PR organizers, they should create a "Kiddie Course" for certain folks like yourself?
Lake Lanier had a short and long course for a few years(may still) that allowed variety and different boats to run.

1000 Islands Charity run has about 50 miles before lunch, which is back at the start, and 95 miles after lunch. Some folks do one or the other and some do both.

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser