Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Formula 400ss....cockpit ice maker or refigerator???? >

Formula 400ss....cockpit ice maker or refigerator????

Notices

Formula 400ss....cockpit ice maker or refigerator????

Old 10-15-2018, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the fridge in mine and we use it all the time. I wouldn't want the ice maker. Something weird happened to my brother-in-laws ice maker and it almost lit the boat on fire... But I don't think that is normal...
Old 10-15-2018, 05:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had the cockpit ice maker on our 400ss and I have to say it was probably my most favorite option on the boat although I had the boat set up for city water from the dock and that was fed through a portable water softener.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

R.E. drinking the 'ice water'.
Tap water over here is not drinkable. It's pretty good but you can still get sick from it. I filled the boats water tank with tap water and replaced the filter going to ice maker with an identical one to the original when the boat arrived. First few times out I bought ice and kept it in the freezer for guests while I used the ice from the ice maker to see if I'd get sick. Never had a problem, had the same filter for the next 3 years and nobody ever got sick. (hangovers excluded!)

RR

@jbraun, I hope you like your 410 as much as I liked mine. Great big solid boat, we got caught in some horrible weather a few times and never had any concerns.

Last edited by rak rua; 10-15-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=jbraun2828;4654325]

we just bought a 410 sundancer a few weeks ago. We’ve been having a blast on it so far. Ours has a cockpit fridge and I definitely prefer it that way. I also have a hard time consuming ice out of the holding tank. I fill mine with beer and keep a bag of ice down in the main fridge for anyone that needs it.
[/QUOTE
we must be getting old lol… we just picked up a 400 Sundancer just before Labor Day , & I agree it’s been a blast, only been out on the Fountain once since the Owning the Ray, Ours has the ice maker in the cockpit & it works great 👍 we have 2 kids so we are loving all the amenities … probably going to hang onto the fountain for one more season & see how much we use it
Old 10-15-2018, 08:55 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine has the cockpit ice maker and I only used it one day, just to try it out. Never used it again. Didnt like the fact that once shorepower was unplugged, the ice maker was off. Whatever water/ice was still in the maker would melt and either end up in the cube storage box only to end up with a large frozen cube once plugged back into shorepower. If not that, then the water would run down the inside of the maker and leak past the door out onto the floor. I have no intention of running the gen just to keep the ice maker running while on the water.The maker itself is nothing more than a household icemaker that has a long cycle time/dump. Plus it puts out alot of heat. If the compartment doesnt have a fan to pull out the heat, it's efficiency has to go out the window . A second fridge in the cockpit gets used way more, since the cabin fridge can only hold so much.

I have a large table top size icemaker in my dock box that makes a tray of ice every 7 minutes. Our coolers are always full and plenty for the blender drinks. In the last 10 yrs, if I bought 1 bag of ice/yr, that'd be about it.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 10-15-2018 at 08:58 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:03 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Ran-Dom 32

we must be getting old lol… we just picked up a 400 Sundancer just before Labor Day , & I agree it’s been a blast, only been out on the Fountain once since the Owning the Ray, Ours has the ice maker in the cockpit & it works great 👍 we have 2 kids so we are loving all the amenities … probably going to hang onto the fountain for one more season & see how much we use it

Same here. When we bought our previous cruiser, we kept the Fountain, just in case. In the following 5 yrs of owning both boats, the Fountain left the garage 3-4 time total. Sold it and never looked back nor mis it.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:10 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Originally Posted by jbraun2828

.........I also have a hard time consuming ice out of the holding tank. .......
lol
Old 10-16-2018, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

We have a Cruisers 500 express. It has a Fridge / Freezer in the Salon and a Fridge / Ice maker in the cockpit. I admit the the Ice maker is neat and works well but I would be afraid of the water. We just keep the handle lifted to stop the Ice . It sure keeps Fireball cold...lol..
Chris
Old 10-16-2018, 04:44 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 593 Likes on 273 Posts

Finally ^^^^ a Good use for one!