Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Formula 400ss....cockpit ice maker or refigerator???? >

Formula 400ss....cockpit ice maker or refigerator????

Notices

Formula 400ss....cockpit ice maker or refigerator????

Old 10-15-2018, 08:13 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Formula 400ss....cockpit ice maker or refigerator????

I recently bought a 400ss and it has the cockpit ice maker. Just can't see ever using it! Does anyone have the cockpit frig? What would you prefer? Seems having a frig out there would be best and I'm considering switching.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I thought the same thing with my Sea Ray but can't find a 14" x 24" fridge.
Now I use the space to store an ice chest.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:07 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,125 Likes on 475 Posts

Had a Sea Ray 410 Sundancer a few years ago, big fridge in the cabin and ice maker in the cockpit. Would never have it any other way. Very hot climate here and we used the ice maker non-stop. Everyone sits in the cockpit and keeps topping up their ice.
Boat was berthed, with shore power, so the ice maker was full when we stepped onboard and it would make a tray of ice in about 30-40 minutes,

Cheers.
RR

Last edited by rak rua; 10-15-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 619 Likes on 181 Posts

i had a 400ss and was amazed at how much use the ice maker got
Old 10-15-2018, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would consider keeping it. Can you enlarge the cutout area to accommodate the fridge?
Old 10-15-2018, 11:52 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Surprised the ice maker has been a "hit". I'm always weirded out about consuming water from the fresh water tank. In our boats and my toyhauler I'll brush my teeth with that water but that's it. Using a cockpit icemaker to ice down drinks wouldn't even be considered (and if you need to replenish ice your drinking too slow!).

Since the boat is getting ready to be hauled out for the season I suppose I'll wait til next summer to see how/if we use it. Shore power stays on in it's slip so maybe???
Old 10-15-2018, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

I'd keep it or at least use it for a while until your certain you don't want it anymore. I would think a fridge in the cabin would be plenty.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

We opted for the cockpit fridge when building our cruiser. Glad we did, but since early June when we took delivery we have already stayed about 35 nights on the boat. Our longest trip was 13 days, so we need the fridge space. I bought a nice Igloo icemaker on Amazon and keep it down in the cabin. Best of both worlds.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:19 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by t500hps
Surprised the ice maker has been a "hit". I'm always weirded out about consuming water from the fresh water tank. In our boats and my toyhauler I'll brush my teeth with that water but that's it. Using a cockpit icemaker to ice down drinks wouldn't even be considered (and if you need to replenish ice your drinking too slow!).

Since the boat is getting ready to be hauled out for the season I suppose I'll wait til next summer to see how/if we use it. Shore power stays on in it's slip so maybe???
MS has a tabletop/portable ice maker that she uses in her campers. That way you can make your ice out of bottled water, sans dealing with trays in the freezer.
Also, I bought her some of the highball round ice molds, so if you want to get really fancy and drink with your pinky up on your hoity-toity cruiser, you can make them with boiled water for clear ice balls like the fancy yuppie bars serve.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
Had a Sea Ray 410 Sundancer a few years ago, big fridge in the cabin and ice maker in the cockpit. Would never have it any other way. Very hot climate here and we used the ice maker non-stop. Everyone sits in the cockpit and keeps topping up their ice.
Boat was berthed, with shore power, so the ice maker was full when we stepped onboard and it would make a tray of ice in about 30-40 minutes,

Cheers.
RR

we just bought a 410 sundancer a few weeks ago. We’ve been having a blast on it so far. Ours has a cockpit fridge and I definitely prefer it that way. I also have a hard time consuming ice out of the holding tank. I fill mine with beer and keep a bag of ice down in the main fridge for anyone that needs it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.