Key West But No OPA Englewood? >

Key West But No OPA Englewood?

Notices

Key West But No OPA Englewood?

Old 10-25-2018, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamSaris
Calling for 50+ boats. Day one is usually calm, day two rough as hell. The course is long, yet easy to see. 5 killer bars in a spotless town full of nice people with everything you need in walking distance. Want to party? Go to Key West. It has the history, it has the name. If you want to watch some kick ass offshore racing and hangout with the racers? Go to Englewood.
Usually Super Vee Light, Unlimited, SuperStock and a handful of Production Class boats make the trip from Key West to race with OPA as well. Key West will have more Supercats, which is definitely a draw.

Why the difference in water at Englewood day 1 vs day 2? Due to the amout of boats running in each heat?

What bars at Englewood? Any accessible by boat? Englewood inlet looks sketchy as hell especially when requiring 6' depth on my end. As a result I'm launching out of Venice.

I've lived in S. Fla. 39 years and not impressed by Key West as a whole. It's overpriced and when an event comes to town they really gouge ya, same with Orlando. You just get worn out on the tourist traps.

I'm looking forward to spectating from the Englewood flotilla on those smooth gulf waters as we usually boat on the Atlantic side. We spectated Clearwater beach SBI last year and I was drooling over the flat water so it or OPA was a definite for this year. OPA wins due to more heats on more days.

Keith

Last edited by Tractionless; 10-25-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:21 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

As a racer who has raced many times in KW and every event in Englewood they are two completely different sites. Both are fantastic for there offshore racing experience. KW with its long history and Duval street is just off the hook fun. As a small team its hard to justify the expense to race there. As a spectator Im all in. The WOW factor of many of the teams with unlimited budgets is fun to see. Throw in a poker run with some insane hardware and beautiful babes and you have a crowd of fun people. Now Englewood you have a free race for the racers and a large purse paid on the spot. That attracts more boats IMO. Fans have no gate fees and open pit area for all to participate in. The Whole event is all at one location. The pits are in the parking lot on the beach ( At the start finish line) the crane is across the street in view in a channel. The bars and restraint's are next to the pits and the hotels are walking distance from the pits. Its more of a family event with tons of spectators that they bus in. The volunteers and staff always have a smile on and are so glad to see us. Is one site better than the other? That depends on what you are looking to do for fun.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:42 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Tractionless
Why the difference in water at Englewood day 1 vs day 2? Due to the amout of boats running in each heat?

What bars at Englewood? Any accessible by boat? Englewood inlet looks sketchy as hell especially when requiring 6' depth on my end. As a result I'm launching out of Venice.

I've lived in S. Fla. 39 years and not impressed by Key West as a whole. It's overpriced and when an event comes to town they really gouge ya, same with Orlando. You just get worn out on the tourist traps.

I'm looking forward to spectating from the Englewood flotilla on those smooth gulf waters as we usually boat on the Atlantic side. We spectated Clearwater beach SBI last year and I was drooling over the flat water so it or OPA was a definite for this year. OPA wins due to more heats on more days.

Keith
Just luck. Or bad luck if you like calm water. For the past 3 years the wind has picked up Saturday night and by 11am on Sunday it's a whole new world out there.
The SandBar Tiki Bar &Grille is definitely boat accessible. I think the White Elephant is too. SandBar usually has a pretty good band playing. Across the street is the Lock n Key, really, really great food there. Next to that is Calico Jack's, late night place, pool tables, juke box, bad decisions. Its great.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:19 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts

For what it's worth the Englewood Beach Waterfest announced there will be a pretty solid Supercat showing.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I plan to check out englewood this year if the schedule works out.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamSaris
Just luck. Or bad luck if you like calm water. For the past 3 years the wind has picked up Saturday night and by 11am on Sunday it's a whole new world out there.
The SandBar Tiki Bar &Grille is definitely boat accessible. I think the White Elephant is too. SandBar usually has a pretty good band playing. Across the street is the Lock n Key, really, really great food there. Next to that is Calico Jack's, late night place, pool tables, juke box, bad decisions. Its great.
I wasn't sure if you were talking about weather or another determining factor such as number of boats on the course at once. Accuweather currently has 73/52 temp. for both days wind 10 gusting to 17 on Sat. and You're on the mark so far 15/28 Sunday. Thanks for the info!