Notices

Fountain vs. Cigarette

Old 10-28-2002, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

i had to throw that in to stir the pot! in all honesty i think depending on were you do your boating, has a big bearing on the different boats. while i really like my fountain i do like the looks of the classic offshore boats, cigs, apaches, and think that they all build a great boat, if i boated in the ocean i probably would go for a little more weight and higher freeboard. one undesputable fact is, fountains are efficient with their hulls.
later
Dave Hughes
Old 10-28-2002, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Ike

Old 10-28-2002, 05:39 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Depends on what you mean by better?

Better for budget? fountain
Better for cabin room & amenities? fountain (at least with most of (well, ALL that I have seen, but I'll say most) the new Cigs coming with Covergirl cabins) Sounds wierd to say Fountain wins on the cabin space. LOL!
Better hull for speed? Fountain pre 00 twin step Cig, then it's a tough one (and Cig owners will argue true boat length, but when you're running WOT, none of the front of the boat is in the water anyway.)
Better hull for ride? Cig
Better wow factor? I think Cig gets the looks more than a fountain

They are both great boats, just depends on what you use them for. I can tell you my thoughts, though. I always thought "I want one" about Cigs, but know I would want a TS version for the speed. After shopping and not being able to sit up on the cabin couches without hitting my head, or no enclosed potty (and haven't seen a full cabin since 99-00), it's not the boat for me. If I didn't need usable cabin room , I'd buy a Skater

If I was out in 5'ers plus all the time and didn't need a lot of cabin room, it's probably the best boat to own, though.

I think a Cig owner leads a lonely life. When it's flat, the Fountains rule, when it gets rough, Cig owners rule, but they can't find anyone else to run in the big water but other Cig owners. LOL! Just kiddin guys

Mark
Old 10-28-2002, 07:43 PM
Registered

Well I had the chance to drive a brand new 35 fountain this past weekend with 500 EFI's...I am not trying to flame anybody here but I was not impressed with the boat at all (and neither were the other people on the boat with me).

The boat was fast, we were able to get 84 out of it with full tanks and four people on board but the handling sucked. The water was flat, no chop at all and a very small swell. If you tried to run the boat tabs up in chine walked very badly over 75 mph. Everybody in the boat, myself included wondered what it would be like in rough water. For a lake boat it would be fine, but I think for the ocean I would stay with my Cig.

As far as cabin and amenities is concerned the boat was very small for a 35' boat, and was very production looking. For 200k I would expect a little more. My top gun with the Cover Girl cabin was much larger. I know I am comparing a 38' boat to a 35' but it seemed like much more difference than 3'.

Just my opinion but I expected a little more. The speed was good though for the weight we had on board, but my TS Top Gun will run 80 with the same power and full of fuel.

Last edited by Havasu Cig; 10-28-2002 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:52 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Sonic or AT
Old 10-28-2002, 09:28 PM
Registered

There both over-rated!
Old 10-28-2002, 09:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

cig, hello
Old 10-28-2002, 10:12 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Havasu Cig
I know I am comparing a 38' boat to a 35' but it seemed like much more difference than 3'.
There is a 5' + beak difference between the two boats. I don't think it is fair to compare a 38 TG to a 35' Fountain. The 42' would be a better comparison. The prices would be a lot closer also.

I don't think you can go wrong with either manufacturer.
Both boats have their strong points.

Do you have any experience in a non-step 38 TG? Which is the best rough water boat?

Dan
Old 10-28-2002, 10:12 PM
Registered

Cigs need more up to date styling.
Attached Thumbnails Fountain vs. Cigarette-newcig.jpg  

Last edited by Back4More; 10-28-2002 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-28-2002, 10:14 PM
Registered

Now that's a Cig I'd own!

Quick Reply: Fountain vs. Cigarette

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.