Notices

OT - Stereo Upgrades

Old 10-29-2002, 07:26 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Unlike Andy Buzz I have not had the greatest luck with the Babb 10" full range speaker. Not to say he is stearing anyone wrong that has just been my experience. He and I both agree 100% on the Rockford amps. They are very durrable and take a beating!!! Dock Holiday it is hard to say how to make it better over the internet. You may just have some set up issues and what not. Could be some out of phase speakers and who knows what else. If you want to call me I can give you some suggestions to check out the set up and hopefully help you make what ever decision needs to be made. There is a lot that goes into a good sounding system.

Jon
Old 10-29-2002, 07:46 AM
hughandlinda

I've seeen babbs in cig. Do they sound as good as they look? I was thinking 4 babbs or 2 8" in back and MB Quart seperates in the front. Is there a 4 channel amp that is sufficient? Andy I'll call you.

Old 10-29-2002, 08:02 AM
BARRY1784

Cool your jets Mark. I've got this one covered

Old 10-29-2002, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get rid of the clarion head unit too, they sound good but used a cheap eye and the cd will almost always start to skip in about two years. mb quart component sys. is one of the cleanest sounding systems.I would never run anything sony,kenwood makes very high quality head units. if you are running subs you may want to look into a matched set of jl audio subs and amp. PPI also makes a very good amp. .02

martin.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:43 AM
Registered

Hey Dock- Livin' Loud here, I met you on the St. Augustine poker run the 386 sonic with the stereo. There is alot of good product-that will give you the sound your looking for. In boats your most important concern should be your system design and installation. Most stereos in boats get alot of abuse-heat, low voltage, water, out playing your neigbors. This must be address durning system design-then you can plug in the product. I'll be glad to help you.My cell# is 334-546-2100 Allen
Old 10-29-2002, 08:56 AM
Registered

living loud is right on the money. 90% of your sound is install and settings. with the right power match and setup i've heard junk speakers sound good. but if you are a complete audiophile you can tell the difference in equip. I worked in the car audio buisness for years and there are alot of people that run equip. like fosgate and sony"not trying to offend anyone" but when you compare to a true up level system the two arent even i the same league.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For Mids and Highs go for the MB Quartz, you will be very impressed. as for subs I run 2 10" Kicker Comp in sealed boxes, fit under bolsters.

** Make sure you have more than enough power for everything, and sealed subs will make more base than freeair always, my opinion about 2X as much.****
Old 10-29-2002, 01:02 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys,

My internet connection has been down since 4PM yesterday, so this is the first time I have seen all the great responses.

Barry and I have been in touch and he is coming over to the house tomorrow to look at the boat and make some suggestions.

He is in agreement with you guys that MB Quartz is the way to go.

Allen "Living Loud", thanks for the offer. I wish you were closer. All I can say is that your boat "ROCKS" . That has to be the best stereo system I have seen on a boat yet. The custom speaker enclosures are awesome. Hope to see you guys again soon.

Mark
Old 10-29-2002, 03:02 PM
Registered

The ten inch BAABs must be crossed over properly to get good sound. We use them as a loudspeaker similiar to a system designed for a night club. Remember, a boat system design is for outdoor sound and it takes extra power and extra speaker cone area to achieve volume. An audiophile system would distort before it sounded good in a boat. Many factors and experience will result in good sound. You still need subs and a good pair or 6 1/2 like MBQuarts to achieve great sound.

Andy Buzz
Old 10-29-2002, 05:11 PM
Registered

Hey Buzz, I have a couple questions, first how do you cross the 10" babbs over and what power do you usually run to them, since they are only rated for 100watts RMS? I have also seen the 5 1/4 component sets of MB Quarts range from like $200 - $800 and there are like 8 different levels of just the 5 1/4's, which ones do you usually use? Also have you ever used the 3 way component set with the 8", 4" , and 1" ? Curious how that sounds. Thanks Darren

Quick Reply: OT - Stereo Upgrades

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.