Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
largest boat for HASSLE FREE long distance towing ? >

largest boat for HASSLE FREE long distance towing ?

Notices

largest boat for HASSLE FREE long distance towing ?

Old 11-11-2018, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 126 Posts

Just as important, maybe even more is the trailer you are pulling. There is a reason certain manufacturers cost as much as they do. The strength of the rails, size of tires and Brakes all play into how well the trailer pulls.

Trailer Flex and Braking are easily the 2 biggest factors. Electric over hydrolich is 1000% easier to pull than surge.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:51 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

All depends on the truck. If it’s you DD you’re giving up usability the bigger you go. A 1/2 ton that would make a nice DD could comfortably go to the 8-10k range on a good trailer.

A SRW Diesel will give up some ride comfort to a 1/2 ton but is still as useable and parkable otherwise. Maybe 10-13k towing.

Beyond that you’re talking duallys and then medium duty’s. If you can afford it and have space for extra vehicles, great. For me, I’m in the market for an extended cab diesel.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

As far as towing, my ~40’ trailer is challenging. I’d towed “normal” boats up to 23’ for years and was quite comfortable with those. There weren’t many places I couldn’t get in and out of.

The 40’ trailer requires more forethought. You can pretty much treat it like a big rig. So that limits where you’ll be stopping and fueling up and eating etc.

Also: ramps. You’ve got to ask ahead about which ones to use. The break over angle mine can handle is very shallow.

I have a nice triple axle with about 9-10k on it. Tows great, you’ve just got to think and plan ahead more than just hooking up your 20’ boat to the SUV and heading to any lake with a ramp. Good luck.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Most 40’ or smaller you can pull with a Srw 3500 on a good trailer without many issues.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

I’ve towed our 43 Donzi all over, but that’s more long than big.

This past summer my wife and I took delivery of a new Monterey 335 Sport Yacht. We enjoy traveling to different lakes and areas, and wanted the largest cruiser for this purpose. I wanted to keep the beam under 11’ so the 10’10” was perfect. I’d easily go up to 11’3” or so now.

I had Myco custom build a 10’ wide trailer in order to get the boat as low as possible. I take the radar and pedestal off, and am at 13’6” exactly. I made it so it goes on/ comes off in about 1-2 minutes.

This summer we towed it 4,200 miles to various places and had a blast. Definitely very happy with the setup and it’s pretty stress free. I have a truck GPS that I have 14’ height programmed in so it routes me where I can go. Tow it with a 2018 Ford F450 which is also my DD.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

I am comfortable pulling my 35 anywhere that I want to go. Much bigger than that would require some proper planning.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 1,827 Likes on 716 Posts

Bingo!

I am always shocked at some of the trailers I see.

From people w/no straps (I don’t need em??), to no trailer brakes, no spare etc.
When I pulled my lil 25’ home from Philli the seller thought I was a sissy for wanting a spare tire and straps for the boat!

My favorite though is the high dollar boats on a trailer w/bunks that stop 3’ short of the transom and the bunks hanging off the end of the trailer frame by 3+’.
Yikes.

Originally Posted by bajaholic
Just as important, maybe even more is the trailer you are pulling. There is a reason certain manufacturers cost as much as they do. The strength of the rails, size of tires and Brakes all play into how well the trailer pulls.

Trailer Flex and Braking are easily the 2 biggest factors. Electric over hydrolich is 1000% easier to pull than surge.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 1,827 Likes on 716 Posts

Wow!
Well Done sir. Your forethought and engineering is repaying you well.
Excellent.

Great point about break over point.

I once watched a 30’ Searay drag a 2 whd 1/2 ton down a ramp, driven by an elderly guy, w/his adult son on the bow of the boat (!!), as it headed for an alum fishing boat tied at dock, full of people while the red neck owner walked beside the skidding truck, screaming through the window at the driver!
I pointed out to said red neck, that he might want to get the crew out of his boat!
I then stood guard over the driver until the police showed up.
What a disaster!

Originally Posted by PremierPOWER
I’ve towed our 43 Donzi all over, but that’s more long than big.

This past summer my wife and I took delivery of a new Monterey 335 Sport Yacht. We enjoy traveling to different lakes and areas, and wanted the largest cruiser for this purpose. I wanted to keep the beam under 11’ so the 10’10” was perfect. I’d easily go up to 11’3” or so now.

I had Myco custom build a 10’ wide trailer in order to get the boat as low as possible. I take the radar and pedestal off, and am at 13’6” exactly. I made it so it goes on/ comes off in about 1-2 minutes.

This summer we towed it 4,200 miles to various places and had a blast. Definitely very happy with the setup and it’s pretty stress free. I have a truck GPS that I have 14’ height programmed in so it routes me where I can go. Tow it with a 2018 Ford F450 which is also my DD.

Last edited by Twin O/B Sonic; 11-12-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 4,294 Likes on 1,239 Posts

25' towns great no issue.
38` takes some planning to get in out of gas stations, hotels etc. never thought going smaller because of it . Probably wouldn`t wanna go longer than that . unless it was a 42' Fountain .. which would be the same size.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

First off, good luck and most important, buy the best boat that suites what you want to do!

There have been a bunch of good thoughts and ideas already said here. I regularly trailer from Florida to NJ (twice a year) and tend to cover good chunks of Florida in the winter and the NE in the summer. I started with a 29' kryptonite in 2003 and got my 38' Donzi in 2008. I also own a heavy construction company and move very large pieces of equipment. Now to help answer your question.
  1. Boat - The three biggest factors are width, height, and weight. - A V-Bottom under 9' to 9'6" wide can pretty much go anywhere without permits (legal limit is technically 8'-6" but I have never seen any of my friends have issues with an Outerlimits or similar) Height on the trailer is next. Radar arches and the like can bring your overall height to well over 10' and you have to start considering low bridges, branches, etc. especially on side roads. (Legal height is 13-6") Last is weight and that is the biggest factor for the correct trailer and tow vehicle. Length is something you learn and get used to and is not as important until you start getting into the 40'+ range because then you are looking at not only length issues (turning, parking, etc.) - now you get into much larger tow vehicles, possible over length permits, etc.
  2. Trailer - Don't go cheap on the trailer. This is holding one of your largest investments and a good trailer will make all the difference in the world on the road. Make sure the tires and axles are over rated and you are not near the weight limits of the trailer.
  3. Truck - I am a firm believer in dual rear wheels (3500/350/450/550) for towing anything over 30'. Unless you use the truck everyday and tow occasionally, nothing tows like a dually. Make sure the combined weight (boat, trailer, equipment, fuel, etc.) does not exceed or even come close to exceeding the manufacturers ratings. My boat is very light for 38' (9000# dry) and with an aluminum trailer, boat supplies/equipment, fuel, etc., my combined trailer weight is roughly 14,000#.
Hope that helps. I have had a "decent" trailer under my boat and the time has finally come to get a great one. It's really starting to flex too much after all these years of service now. I also upgraded my tow rig after 18 years.

Last edited by Tom A.; 11-12-2018 at 09:48 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.