Notices

Magnum Marine re-imagined

Old 07-20-2019, 08:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Are you going to fit a decent height bow rail? (not beautiful but very practical) If so, non-slip around the outer edge following the bow rail, just wide enough to walk on. Leave the rest clean.

If no bow rail, always have one member of crew onboard who's either a freeloader or lazy and have him do the docking lines. If he slips overboard, it's no great loss.

RR
Old 07-20-2019, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

RR , I think you're right about the bow rail. A large (even a small) custom one can be hideously expensive but they're a huge part of the not so invisible safety equipment on a boat. And when done nicely they won't take anything away from the lines of the boat. I've spent a bit of time on the forward decks of boats offshore and the right height rail actually becomes a thing of beauty.
Plus, it's hard to imagine that with a deck the size of that one that no-one is going to want to go forward at some point when underway.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:27 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

When I had my Sea Ray 41' the bow was used quite a lot when underway. Rarely used at anchor because it was too hot but underway, with the help of a bow rail, it created another area for people to enjoy the ride. Standing right at the front (Titanic style) or sitting around the edge, feet hanging off with the rail about chest height. Nice place to sit at 20 knots. Sunpad in the middle added a comfortable spot underway but once again, too hot here at anchor, and too far away from the fridge!

O.P. Maybe run the boat a few times first, any of your current ideas can be added later but leave a mess if you want to remove them.

RR
Old 07-22-2019, 12:13 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
When I had my Sea Ray 41' the bow was used quite a lot when underway. Rarely used at anchor because it was too hot but underway, with the help of a bow rail, it created another area for people to enjoy the ride. Standing right at the front (Titanic style) or sitting around the edge, feet hanging off with the rail about chest height. Nice place to sit at 20 knots. Sunpad in the middle added a comfortable spot underway but once again, too hot here at anchor, and too far away from the fridge!

O.P. Maybe run the boat a few times first, any of your current ideas can be added later but leave a mess if you want to remove them.

RR
lots of good points
Old 07-22-2019, 01:39 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm quietly hoping this rebuild will sap all your strength and you'll be so close to completion, only needing batteries and a tank of fuel, then your missus will give you the ultimatum "Sell that boat, right now!" Reluctantly, you'll put her on the market and take a miserable low offer from me then I'll install the batteries and fill her up when she arrives in Thailand.

Looking beautiful, it will be an awesome cruiser. Keep up the nice work.

RR
Old 07-22-2019, 05:39 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I'd leave the deck clean, looks so good without anything on it. I would't worry about slippery either, that's why they make Sperry Topsiders. Well designed bow rails tho would look nice

Last edited by Indy; 07-22-2019 at 06:24 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:00 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Why not mask of 1/4" or 1/2" strips in the pattern you have the blue tape laid now, and lay down a mix of clear / pettit non skid, then re clear over the whole thing. We do it on swim platforms all the time and it works great.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rak rua
I'm quietly hoping this rebuild will sap all your strength and you'll be so close to completion, only needing batteries and a tank of fuel, then your missus will give you the ultimatum "Sell that boat, right now!" Reluctantly, you'll put her on the market and take a miserable low offer from me then I'll install the batteries and fill her up when she arrives in Thailand.

Looking beautiful, it will be an awesome cruiser. Keep up the nice work.

RR

its within the realm of possibility. The other option is I get kicked out of the house and move into the boat
Old 07-25-2019, 10:08 PM
Registered

Rain has slowed things down a bit...

Hard to tell on the pics, but we painted a black stripe along where the windows will go

Helm painted black. Want to mount the steering on stained black wood block

Old 07-26-2019, 05:11 PM
Registered

:

:

:

:

The wooden block for the steering has to go below the horizontal black line to break up that space better. Paint alone looks too artificial. The wood block is a little of a retro touch mainly found on fishing boats, but I think it will work here

Painted the windshield frame same silver as inside the cabin.

Internal windshield frame parts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.