Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Anybody use vinyl paint on thier seats? >

Anybody use vinyl paint on thier seats?

Notices

Anybody use vinyl paint on thier seats?

Old 11-05-2002, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody use vinyl paint on thier seats?

Has anyone tried any of the paints out there for vinyl seats? I want to hear good and bad if you've got some experience...
Ken
Old 11-05-2002, 10:37 AM
Registered

I have never personally used it, but I have seen some bolsters where that it was used on and at the time they looked pretty good.
Old 11-05-2002, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

I have restored autos in the past and have used the dye/paint with success. It works great on new vinyl and is horrible on aged vinyl. I have used it to make subtle changes to seats. For example changing the seat covers and the headrests did not quite match, I would spray them. Overall it is not the best high quality fix.
Old 11-05-2002, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Send a message to Nickslick..he used some last year...he would have a whole season on it....Dave
Old 11-05-2002, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 253 Likes on 101 Posts

i'm in the bodyshop biz. this will work very well if done properly.

if you pm me i will tell you a way to do it that will last for years
Old 11-05-2002, 04:05 PM
Registered

Default seat paint

I used it once. It looked great. It did, however, smudge badly with suntan lotion. Certain cleaners dissolve it too. Be careful there. Use only mild soap and water. And, the new look goes away pretty fast.

The vinyl repairs are pretty worthless as far as I am concerned.

Not too bad a deal if you don't spend too much on it. I would never make a major color change.

To make your seats look a lot better for a year, go for it.

Good luck.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:09 PM
Registered

Default Try here

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/sh...threadid=11780

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forum/sh...threadid=14498
Old 11-05-2002, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the dupont vinyl paint/dye. It looks great, took a while to dry (was somewhat tacky until I had the boat in the sun a few times). Some solvents will remove it, the previous owner did a god awful job vinyl dying it previously and I cleaned it all off w/ laquer thinner. Thin coats work best. I have no complaints after one year and it made the interior look like new. Best $200 I spent on the boat cosmetically. I did it myself w/ some borrowed equipment and a little advise from friends. I would do it again.

BTW - I did not change colors, just improved them.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

BGIII imthinking of coloring the rear deck on mine. its of white now 1 year old , i had replaced and the ulphostery guy said thats as brite as he can get needs to be brighter to match rear seat . do you think it will hold , ive heard it will but appreciate your 02 since youve been there. plus needs some purple in it also.
Old 11-06-2002, 12:09 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine has only been on for one season but I am impressed and it still looks like when I applied it. I got the idea from Saber28, he did a previous boat of his and owned it for several years after doing it and never had any problems. It sure makes clean up easier, it kind of seals the vinyl. It made my interior look like brand new. I also replaced all of the foam at the same time. It was a lot of work but I was very pleased w/ the results. I will say I was nervous at first because it was kind of tacky feeling but it dryed nice after getting out in the sun and baking a few times. I probably got it on a little thicker than I should have. I applied a vinyl protectant religiously until the tackiness went away. I've heard good and bad, personally, I would do it again.

Quick Reply: Anybody use vinyl paint on thier seats?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.