Sitting in a hotel about to get my first “real boat” tomorrow morning >

Sitting in a hotel about to get my first “real boat” tomorrow morning

Notices

Sitting in a hotel about to get my first “real boat” tomorrow morning

Old 11-30-2018, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Wishing the best for the OP!

If there was enough water water in the bilge to soak the starters then it was probably a drain plug left in at best, which means every penetration like engine mount bolts had plenty of time to weep water in to the stringers.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:17 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Prob buying someone elses headache boat. No offense and you went thru this already with that last florida storm boat. No matter how cheap the boat to be bought in the long run many used boats do not end cheap period. Way to many are ridden hard put away wet. With that said I would have the boat check out buy a real mechanic. Not the clipboard guys. Buyer beware.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:20 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

And Formula boats are not excluded from rot.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alright guys thanks for the kind words!

As of now I’m back in the hotel room, paid for this time by the seller, because he’s turning his house upside down to find his file of titles to all his vehicles.

As as far as the starters, you guys are correct. The boat was partially submerged at the transom.

Story is:
He had the engines and drives redone and installed belt driven water pumps and transom external water pickups completely by the local marina and they didn’t install some tube through the transom assembly and the first day he parked in the water, it started taking on water. He came back the next day to water in the bilge up to the bottom of the engines which is how both starters got ruined. Boat was then pulled out, sent back to the marina to fix the mistake but the starters were never changed or rinsed down with fresh water and have now corroded.

At the time he was just recovering from surgery and couldn’t mess with it. Since then, his surgeries have gotten worse and the boat hasn’t been touched.

He has all paperwork for the work performed and the boat shows very well, inside and out so I’m going to roll the dice on this one and see how it plays out. I’ll give you guys exact details on the $ numbers once the deal is done but I think this is going to be a good one.

Last edited by Romeomikehotel; 11-30-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:29 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

When did this happen? Has it been winterized? What have the temperatures been?
Old 11-30-2018, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

If the price reflects needing new engines and rot repair then party on! Sometimes the only way we can afford to get into the sport is to find someone else’s mess and do the work ourselves. Heck, even when the boat is perfect we take it all apart anyways.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's the boat OP is talking about: F272-SR1

Since I'm in the market and this boat is only an hour and a half away I've been mulling over whether or not to snatch this one up. It's not exactly what I'm looking for but it certainly seems like a no-brainer.

I also love this boat in the same area: Sonic 26
Old 11-30-2018, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

If he came down off of the advertised price very much looks to be a good deal, tap tap bang bang on the transom and stringers all good, replace wheel bearings on trailer (REALLY).
Haul it home. Be sure your Boat US tow is current haul ass andf get to work. I think the SBC Formula 272 is one of the best balanced boats out there for it's size.
Good Luck
Old 11-30-2018, 01:14 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

My worthless opinion from owning about 70089.2 boats. A boat's primary objective is to break down many times and cause headaches for boat owners, all else is secondary.

They are a monetary drain and time vortex for any owner. But since I'm am idiot I actually like some fussing around with them, but generally get cranky as sh!t when it's a perfect summer day and your dicking around in the bilge when everyone else is having a blast.

To willfully take on a a headache to compliment the usual inherent issues is nothing I'd ever undertake, but that's just me...

Good luck!
Old 11-30-2018, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Good luck
Saw that ad somewhere earlier

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.