Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Sitting in a hotel about to get my first “real boat” tomorrow morning >

Sitting in a hotel about to get my first “real boat” tomorrow morning

Notices

Sitting in a hotel about to get my first “real boat” tomorrow morning

Old 11-30-2018, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Looks like a pretty clean boat. If the owner is honest, I think it's a good buy.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:24 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I am taking it being a 1987 and small blocks it has Alpha one for drives and trans assemblies. If you upgrade in power they will need to changed to bravo's. and so will the transom assemblies.
Old 11-30-2018, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 1,827 Likes on 716 Posts

Check the dip sticks for water. Also, pull a breather and look in a valve cover.
Will look like chocolate milk if run w/water.

I am a Formula fan and a 272 w/twin small blocks is the top of that list.

Pull the plugs from the bottom of the drives too.
Water is heavier than oil so it will drain first.

Good luck. My fingers are crossed.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another update:

Massive wrench in the plan. The guy doesn’t have/can’t find the title.
Move been “relaxing” at a local marina/bar for the past few hours while he looks and I’m trying to give him some more time but it looks more and more like I’ll be heading home empty handed.

The search continues.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:31 PM
BUP
Banned

so this guy has a boat for sale X amount weeks or months and at the very last min when a buyer shows up - the tilte and paper is no where to be found. He sounds like one he-LL of a planner. Wonder if his boat got worked on the same way. Let see its been freezing for weeks, I winterize it later

Is nt when you sell something to make sure all your paperwork is in order first before trying to sell anything.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I’d head to the house boss. This would be a sign to look for another boat
Old 11-30-2018, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Winterization... I don't think I would ever winterize where I live or where the boat is in Gautier, MS. Most likely what I would do is put a 75w incandescent bulb in the engine bay and turn it on when the temperature was forecast to be freezing.

In Louisiana and Mississippi titles for boats are optional and usually it's the registration that gets transferred. Nevertheless they want the old registration certificate to get the new one! Trailers are titled.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

I’ve found that sometimes these deals aren’t over yet. Should he find the papers he can drop enough to make it worth your while and have it shipped to you.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by HerdOfTurtles
Winterization... I don't think I would ever winterize where I live or where the boat is in Gautier, MS. Most likely what I would do is put a 75w incandescent bulb in the engine bay and turn it on when the temperature was forecast to be freezing.

In Louisiana and Mississippi titles for boats are optional and usually it's the registration that gets transferred. Nevertheless they want the old registration certificate to get the new one! Trailers are titled.
Coonass Winterization: I bought an “easy heat” thermostatically controlled outlet used for plumbing pipe heating.
I plug a 3 way outlet into that and 3 drop lights, 1 for cockpit and 2 for bilge on outer side of each engine. It comes on at 38 degrees and shuts off at 50! Works perfect, can also see the light from the rear hatch vent cutouts to check to make sure i didnt trip any breakers.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:18 PM
BUP
Banned

^^^^^ but what happens when electric gets knocked out ? One year we had really bad ice for a straight week and 4 degrees for 10 straight days, that knocked out electric for a week straight in alot places. ( the ice caused it ) . No one made it that year.

Last edited by BUP; 11-30-2018 at 09:29 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.