Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   I/O to OB conversion project? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/357982-i-o-ob-conversion-project.html)

payuppsucker 12-05-2018 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by ren3 (Post 4662346)
It is all about CG, CB, and transom strengthening. When I converted my 35' Cigarette Awesome to a 28' outboard center console. the new transom was the center of my work. It was supported by the stringers and knees, by the motor well design, and by major tabbing to the bottom, sides, and deck. The layout of the console, fuel tank, T-top, etc. was driven by the new balance point. A lot of work, but I would do it again.

Pics????

TeamSaris 12-05-2018 11:53 AM

If that boat has a liner in the bilge, strengthening the transom will be more complicated than some other boats. Just something to keep in mind.

Knot 4 Me 12-05-2018 12:14 PM

Should be a stringer boat. Didn't they run low 80's with trip 500 EFI's?

bikergja 12-05-2018 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater (Post 4662344)
Less weight is a big factor. Can also raise the X-dimension on the fly with some jack plates.

I am curious as to the cost myself to convert to outboards. Anybody know what the guy paid to convert that 31 Cigarette Bullet to outboards that is for sale?

the bullet was a full conversion and restore. Everything from wiring, upholstery, steering etc. the bracket was close to $3k, new deck extension to 9 feet and upholstery to cover side panels almost 5k, engines steering props running gear another almost $50k, new seats and cabin upholstery boat cover electronics another 10k. Trailer was another 8k. Total was over 80k when done. Just made it a four sleeper this month. Stringers were built up and a quarter inch plate was full length of bracket bolted and wit gussets bolted to stringers. I did a lot of the work myself so I can't put a value to it. With four people on board and full gas and gear 65 was attained. You must reinforce the transom. I used additional biaxle glass in an outside before the bracket. My suggestion is it will cost you a heck of a lot more to convert then to get one that runs, but, I have a much bigger cockpit and a boat that is what I wanted to be. The only thing I miss is the inboard noise but not the maintenance and gas cost.

Wildman_grafix 12-05-2018 01:25 PM

The question I always have is if all you do is reinforce the transom, install a bracket and OBs, it sure seems that it would upset the boats CG. May be faster because of less weight and bow lift but what happens in the rough, does it start to be Ass heavy?

TexomaPowerboater 12-05-2018 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by bikergja (Post 4662362)

the bullet was a full conversion and restore. Everything from wiring, upholstery, steering etc. the bracket was close to $3k, new deck extension to 9 feet and upholstery to cover side panels almost 5k, engines steering props running gear another almost $50k, new seats and cabin upholstery boat cover electronics another 10k. Trailer was another 8k. Total was over 80k when done. Just made it a four sleeper this month. Stringers were built up and a quarter inch plate was full length of bracket bolted and wit gussets bolted to stringers. I did a lot of the work myself so I can't put a value to it. With four people on board and full gas and gear 65 was attained. You must reinforce the transom. I used additional biaxle glass in an outside before the bracket. My suggestion is it will cost you a heck of a lot more to convert then to get one that runs, but, I have a much bigger cockpit and a boat that is what I wanted to be. The only thing I miss is the inboard noise but not the maintenance and gas cost.

Thanks for posting this info. So for the actual cockpit extension, bracket, stringer knees, steering, props, and outboard rigging; doing it yourself ran $20K give or take? Say another $10K in labor to pay someone else to do it? Sounds like the cost to convert to used outboards is roughly twice the cost to re-power with new stock long-blocks.

hogie roll 12-05-2018 02:21 PM

Look at tht theres a thread for a 47 Apache conversion with a pilot house, a 40 Excalibur to a CC, and a big tempest to an OB pilothouse.

Also, there is a 45’ CC Hull only for sale on miami Craigslist based on a tempest that is ready for outboards and rigging.

Joetool 12-05-2018 02:23 PM

I just did a 42 Lightning with triple 300's. Love it so far 74 mph working on water pressure issues. will have that figured out this week. should see about 78 when done. PM me if you need to pick my brain. Installing 400's soon want to get close to 100 mph

bikergja 12-05-2018 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix (Post 4662363)
The question I always have is if all you do is reinforce the transom, install a bracket and OBs, it sure seems that it would upset the boats CG. May be faster because of less weight and bow lift but what happens in the rough, does it start to be Ass heavy?

did not change the cg that I noticed. You take a few hundred pounds out by taking out the I/o rig and sun deck etc. the 30" setback seems to balance it out. No problems running in any sea and comes right up on a plain. I can run the boat in 18" to 20" of water without any problems. I converted many 28's and put a 40 gallon tank between the stringers at the transome.

hogie roll 12-05-2018 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Joetool (Post 4662372)
I just did a 42 Lightning with triple 300's. Love it so far 74 mph working on water pressure issues. will have that figured out this week. should see about 78 when done. PM me if you need to pick my brain. Installing 400's soon want to get close to 100 mph

Maybe if you put the tune up on them.