Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I/O to OB conversion project? >

I/O to OB conversion project?

Notices

I/O to OB conversion project?

Old 12-14-2018, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have all my trailers registered in maine ,super easy , you can get 5-10-15 year registrations, in ny its every year. 1 trailer was cheaper for 5 years then 1 year in ny

Originally Posted by dave m
joetool, how many hours do you have on that setup? Any issues with the lowers? Also noticed the maine trailer tag. Any hassles with that? I was thinking of going that route.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 1,819 Likes on 711 Posts

Boom!
Love it.

Funny, was thinking about this thread.
Being a life long O/B guy, there are two hurdles for all the hard core guys and I totally get both.

One is sound.
The sound of a 2 stroke V-6 @ 7K+ is magical but........., we docked our cruiser near a 50' cat w/quad 1150's and I will tell you, every time he started it I stopped what I was doing and listen.
Let alone I got to hear him start 4 of them
We' were also close to a busy gas dock and any time something nasty came in, I went on the fly bridge to watch/listen.

The new O/B's are whisper quiet. Something to be said for being able to carry on a conversation under way or listen to some Bob Marley though.

The second thing is motor bling. On an O/B, even if you figure out how to do it (its hard) you have to remove the cowling for anyone to see it. And the new cowlings (full of sound insulation) are HEAVY!
Vs, tie to dock, hit a button for the sun lounge and reveal two shinning jewels! I can stare at some of those motors for hrs.

Those things are gone w/the new O/B's.
W/a center console though, the first ride, no one will care.

Originally Posted by Joetool

Old 12-14-2018, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have about 10 hrs. on it now. no problem with lowers just plugged up all the water inlets on the sides for now. waiting on some 400's to come in. I"ve been registering my trailers in Maine for years with no problems. it is totally legal.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Joetool
I have about 10 hrs. on it now. no problem with lowers just plugged up all the water inlets on the sides for now. waiting on some 400's to come in. I"ve been registering my trailers in Maine for years with no problems. it is totally legal.
Great build! You took this thread to a whole other level!

So if that was a 42 Fountain, is it now a 45 Fountain?
Old 12-14-2018, 09:31 AM
Registered

Saw this yesterday and thought of this thread(scroll pic to the left)......put link in next post, it transferred weird

The "beak" actually is resting on a Scarab. Being a non-step bottom (meaning 25+ years old) I suspect that boat is way too far gone

Last edited by Jupiter Sunsation; 12-14-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:33 AM
Registered

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en...px8wCnoECAUQBg
Old 12-14-2018, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
Who'd have thought.... A Fountain 42 with an aft cabin. ^^^
Lot of potential to open up the cockpit and still leave plenty of storage space. Boat looks great.

RR

Yep, good buy engine bling and hello generator, AC, holding tanks, maybe some storage for scuba gear, etc.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
I am going to have to guess that the good side is the side you see from the street...

Chris
Old 12-14-2018, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good tread and more interest then I thought

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Yep, good buy engine bling and hello generator, AC, holding tanks, maybe some storage for scuba gear, etc.
I was really surprised to see how many people had positive comments about converting to outboards. I thought I was the only one that could see the value in it. I have converted several as a hobby and each one gave me the satisfaction of making the boat the way I wanted. I am looking for one more project before I finish my bucket list. After looking at some of the projects I want to do more to my cigarette bullet. I have just ordered cushions for the cabin to make it a four sleeper in comfort. I saved room under the rear seat at the transom for additional storage but now thinking of putting my 2000 watt Honda generator in there and installing air conditioning. There is plenty of circulation and room. It seems once you start you can't stop. I love sleeping out and we often bring several people with us that put up tents. The extended cockpit gives plenty of room. Love that sonic, post more pictures of your conversions.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Go for it man, I might buy it from you. What's that old resin bucket weight after the conversion?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.